iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Jun 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #196 of 454
Has anyone tried this...

http://www.headphonia.com/USB-DAC-Stick-Headphone-Amplifier::10127.html

Seems like an interesting way to go with the CCK.  Total it would only add about 3 inches off the iPad including the Camera Kit.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #197 of 454
I don't think the DAC Stick has been released yet...
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #198 of 454

Quote:
Has anyone tried this...

http://www.headphonia.com/USB-DAC-Stick-Headphone-Amplifier::10127.html

Seems like an interesting way to go with the CCK.  Total it would only add about 3 inches off the iPad including the Camera Kit.

you don't want to hang anything off the USB of the Camera Connection - that will kill the 30-pin connector. Rather, get an extension cable first, and then enjoy.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #199 of 454
On the other hand, if you want to use an external amplifier, this DAC cable from Headphonia is intriguing. It also uses the Wolfson WM8740 DAC chip. However, I do not know if it might draw to much power from the iPad.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #200 of 454
I'll be able to report on the DAC cable with the iPad in about a month. I can say this for now: it is pretty damn good as long as you don't expect perfection.

Great signal to noise ration and very low distortion. What is audible, though (immediately for me) is treble roll off. It isn't huge, but going form another DAC or my iPod/Sansa, I found the treble to be 'polite'. 

Still, it sounds great and is sooo damn small that I don't care if there is a little treble roll off. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #202 of 454
ipad plus 4 kits on the way....

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #203 of 454
Jun 14, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #204 of 454
Can you provide any details on how async is going to be implemented?  Is it the familiar TAS 1020/Streamlength combo used by Wavelength and Ayre?

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #206 of 454

Quote:
ipad plus 4 kits on the way....

Seriously, what's an "ipad plus 4 kit"?
I must have missed something along the way...
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #208 of 454
Ah, I get it now, getting 4 kits
biggrin.gif

I thought he was introducing some kind of new accessory being a MOT and all.

My camera kit won't even ship until July
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #209 of 454

Quote:
iPad plus 4 camera kits. 

I presume he want to dissect the USB dongle to to find out how to integrate a mini usb cable and the dongle in a low profile form. 

sorry yes I forgot the s haha, who would have thought the omission of a single letter could cause such confusion...

WRT your summation...no..no i'm not doing that... haha, yes of course thats what i'm doing :wink: I have my own low profile USB cables already, so this is a cool way to take it the next step. I have no fear of busting things open, will post pics when they get here.

I have some others on order, but lets say the profiteering even from apple resellers is criminal. 70 bucks each I have seen. i'm also looking at USB->coax and toslink convertors to chop up to build frankenstine dock

Jun 19, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #210 of 454
I wonder if anyone has tried JukeFly for the iPhone with a USB DAC connected?
http://www.jukefly.com/

It'll be pretty awesome I'd say. Streaming all the lossless music from a main computer to your iPad and being able to listen to it. No need to worry about how much space there is on the iPad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back