iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit?
Apr 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 454

warp08

Headphoneus Supremus
iPad to Support USB Audio Interfaces via Camera Connection Kit? - Mac Rumors

Create Digital Music reports that the iPad may be able to support the use of USB audio interfaces via the Camera Connection Kit offered as an accessory by Apple and set to begin shipping later this month. Such a move would make the iPad much more appealing to music professionals looking for a portable device to interface with their equipment.

According to second-hand sources and a post to a public mailing list, the upcoming Apple iPad accessory adapter for cameras, the iPad Camera Connection Kit, will support audio interfaces that are compatible with the USB Audio Class. I don't have official confirmation from Apple, and the adapter itself appears not to be shipping until later this month, so file this as "likely, but unconfirmed." But it's one to watch, and comes as a surprise to me. (Generally, camera accessory kits aren't a way of providing audio expansion.)

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't it be easier just to include a couple of usb ports in the first place?

Ahhh thats right, this is Apple we are talking about, convenience, functionality and performance are not the bywords that guide their over-riding philosophy.

What a stupid thing to say... I guess that is why iPhones are so popular...? Why so many people in the know use Macs...?

Ridiculous...

Rob

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't it be easier just to include a couple of usb ports in the first place?

Ahhh thats right, this is Apple we are talking about, convenience, functionality and performance are not the bywords that guide their over-riding philosophy.

The lack of USB-ports aside, the significance of this would be (if proven true) the API support for audio-class devices (such as an external DAC), which so far wasn't possible on the iPhone OS.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lack of USB-ports aside, the significance of this would be (if proven true) the API support for audio-class devices (such as an external DAC), which so far wasn't possible on the iPhone OS.

Re: iPad USB Audio Class 1 and Update on OSX Class 2

According to the original post it sounds like it does support external DACs... now I'm second guessing trading in the Pico AMP+Dac for the Pico Slim...

Rob

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 454
I put a post in the ALO Ipad LOD thread and thought it may be interesting to some in this thread and hope to stir some discussion as to the limitless potential of such a move by apple.

KEN: The following news has surfaced today and I wonder how is this differ from the LOD. It seems the LOD route will only bypassing the internal amp section of the Ipad where as an USB out will give a digital out of the ipad. In other words, with the USB adaptor, it can literally output a digital feed into any USB DAC like PICO, Predator, D4 Mamba and/or one of your secret project:wink: Is this the same goal as the GR9? I am also curious if this adaptor will work on any iphone/itouch/ipod? If so, the whole world of Apple DAP will change. All I can say is Wow, hold on. The camera kit is coming in a week or two and will know. I have an ipad and I can find out real fast.

"Create Digital Music reports that the iPad may be able to support the use of USB audio interfaces via the Camera Connection Kit offered as an accessory by Apple and set to begin shipping later this month. Such a move would make the iPad much more appealing to music professionals looking for a portable device to interface with their equipment.

According to second-hand sources and a post to a public mailing list, the upcoming Apple iPad accessory adapter for cameras, the iPad Camera Connection Kit, will support audio interfaces that are compatible with the USB Audio Class. I don't have official confirmation from Apple, and the adapter itself appears not to be shipping until later this month, so file this as "likely, but unconfirmed." But it's one to watch, and comes as a surprise to me. (Generally, camera accessory kits aren't a way of providing audio expansion.)"

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 454
This will turn the whole portable world upside down if this usb kit can be used for the ipod/itouch family in addition to the Ipad. Now I am looking for the best USB DAC available and hope ALO with its GR9 DAC (w/Sabre chips) is ready soon. It basically split the HiFiman 801 into three degrees of separation-transport-DAC-AMP and allow users to pick their Dac and Amp. This is going to be so fun for portable users. I am always a separate guy and prefer separate component over integrated component. What do you guys think?

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re: iPad USB Audio Class 1 and Update on OSX Class 2

According to the original post it sounds like it does support external DACs... now I'm second guessing trading in the Pico AMP+Dac for the Pico Slim...

Rob

I wouldn't worry about that. That will only give you a chance for a better Dac and amp like this:

Apple Lossless=>Ipad=>USB adaptor=>(upcoming world class Dac, your choice)=>Pico Slim, or Balance Protector=>TWag cable=>JH13,JH16, UE18, ED8, and/or your choice, wow
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't worry about that. That will only give you a chance for a better Dac and amp like this:

Apple Lossless=>Ipad=>USB adaptor=>(upcoming world class Dac, your choice)=>Pico Slim, or Balance Protector=>TWag cable=>JH13,JH16, UE18, ED8, and/or your choice, wow
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Hah, isn't technology supposed to get cheaper, smaller and make our lives easier? How come my audio gear is always getting more numerous and expensive......ugh sometimes I wonder about this hobby
wink.gif

Rob

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 454
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ordered my camera kit today on this news...

Yes, if the news turn out to be everything it says it is, there could be a shortage of camera kit
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back