ipad rigs
Nov 23, 2011 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

muppet

Head-Fier
Hi there

looking for photos and feed back on ipad 2 with rigs, looking to go down this route but after some feed back, ant feed back appriciatted, music tastes vairied budget £1000 gbp for amp dac headphones cables ipad already purchased,

many thanks
karl  

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 20
well, i can start you looking in the right direction for using your ipad as a source.
you'll need a transport, to acquire the digital signal from your device.
sure, the ipad can be connected to a usb dac via the "camera connection kit", but a dedicated transport will work more reliably, and will charge your ipad while playing.

look at these:
Pure i-20 digital dock
Cambridge iD100 digital dock
Onkyo ND-S1

as far as headphones...  you'll get much further by sifting through the various threads and clicking on the "head gear" section of the forum.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 20
haven't heard either.
also - they are functionally a little different.
check out this Head-Fi TV episode...

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #6 of 20
How about using an Airport Express as a wireless connection for the iPad?  This will allow you to stream your music (losslessly) from the iPad to your DAC/listening rig, and the iPad won't have to be tethered to it, so you can walk around with it/use it as a remote in your listening chair.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 20
thank you for the idea, but im unfortunatly old school and cables is a must, I have this nigle that some thing is being lost with any wireless connection, this would leave me feeling i have an inferior set up. thank any way

Quote:
How about using an Airport Express as a wireless connection for the iPad?  This will allow you to stream your music (losslessly) from the iPad to your DAC/listening rig, and the iPad won't have to be tethered to it, so you can walk around with it/use it as a remote in your listening chair.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 20
well your niggle bone, tingling or not, is misinformed. if 'bits' go missing in a digital format, you tend to know about it. wireless network protocols are buffered, just as usb is

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 20

The fostex is excellent and would save you having to get an amp as well. I use it with the ipad as a semi portable setup. The fostex get's a better review than the algorythm on sq at headphonia. I also have another semi portable setup on the ipad which is excellent-ibassoPB2 into SR 71 B for balanced input and output. You'll have to decide whether you want to go balanced or not and if you're prepared to carry the extra box (and the extra expense), but I think you'll be very happy either way. I also use 24 96 flac files on the ipad with flac player (available on the itunes store) and this takes the setup to an even higher level.
Quote:
Thank you for your advise

can you tell if the likes fostex is a good idea or the algorytham

regards
karl

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 20
superb now were talking, the reason i went down the ipad route was knowing that 24 bit dacs were avaialble and made it easy to enjoy quality music again which i wint go in to, but also have the abilty to get the bbc iplayer on it as well as internet, but the fact you can a flac player as well, please excuse my ignorence what down fall is there to itunes against flac player, is it an alternative player app or an update for itunes ??? just got my ipad out the box today and guess what apple server is down so i cant access the itunes store

thanks
Karl
Quote:
The fostex is excellent and would save you having to get an amp as well. I use it with the ipad as a semi portable setup. The fostex get's a better review than the algorythm on sq at headphonia. I also have another semi portable setup on the ipad which is excellent-ibassoPB2 into SR 71 B for balanced input and output. You'll have to decide whether you want to go balanced or not and if you're prepared to carry the extra box (and the extra expense), but I think you'll be very happy either way. I also use 24 96 flac files on the ipad with flac player (available on the itunes store) and this takes the setup to an even higher level.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 20

is thet the flac player app by dan leehr

Quote:

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 20
OK I'm lost now lossless flac etc, can these be played through iTunes on my iPad 2?  Or do I need a separate app for this? What is the best route do go down, I have no files or media to convert so it will be a virgin new collection. After some real guidance as what and how to. Also is there any other place to down load flac or lossless files from 

Thanks
karl

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #15 of 20
Neither iTunes or the iPad will play flac. Perhaps there is a third party app for the iPad, but I doubt it, and it'd be a compromise because the iPad has such optimized decoding for its supported file types (hence the phenomenal battery life when playing music). In any case, you can play ALAC files natively, and because it is also lossless, you can convert from FLAC with no change to the files. 

Fwiw, the Airport Express I suggested earlier uses ALAC as its streaming transport, and is proven to have bit-perfect output, making it an excellent audiophile choice, especially when connected to a high end DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back