ipad rigs
Nov 26, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #16 of 20
Thank you for the response, excuse my poor knowledge, would this allow a dac to run 24 bit

Karl

Quote:
Neither iTunes or the iPad will play flac. Perhaps there is a third party app for the iPad, but I doubt it, and it'd be a compromise because the iPad has such optimized decoding for its supported file types (hence the phenomenal battery life when playing music). In any case, you can play ALAC files natively, and because it is also lossless, you can convert from FLAC with no change to the files. 

Fwiw, the Airport Express I suggested earlier uses ALAC as its streaming transport, and is proven to have bit-perfect output, making it an excellent audiophile choice, especially when connected to a high end DAC. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
Thank you for the response, excuse my poor knowledge, would this allow a dac to run 24 bit

Karl

Well, I apologize, because, as has already been mentioned in this thread, there is at least one app that will allow you to play FLAC, even 24bit FLAC files on the iPad.  It does appear that, as I supposed, the interface is rather clunky, and reading through the thread on it here at head-fi, that there are often problems with skipping, etc.  Also, while it appears that the software supports 24bit, it is questionable whether people are actually getting that resolution OUT of the iPad (or at least reliably - see this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/559390/ipad-or-ipad-2-and-24-bit-files)

The Airport Express, while bit perfect, is certainly limited to 16/48, so don't go that route if hi-rez is a must. 

Now I'm interested in hearing more!  Sorry for the mis-information, and keep us updated with how it goes!

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
well, i can start you looking in the right direction for using your ipad as a source.
you'll need a transport, to acquire the digital signal from your device.
sure, the ipad can be connected to a usb dac via the "camera connection kit", but a dedicated transport will work more reliably, and will charge your ipad while playing.

look at these:
Pure i-20 digital dock
Cambridge iD100 digital dock
Onkyo ND-S1

as far as headphones...  you'll get much further by sifting through the various threads and clicking on the "head gear" section of the forum.

I've not had any problems using the camera connection kit to connect the iPad to a DAC

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #19 of 20

Thank you, so I understand about the drag drop of 24 bit files. But does this mean the likes of the algorythm and fostex will work ?

Karl
Quote:
Well, I apologize, because, as has already been mentioned in this thread, there is at least one app that will allow you to play FLAC, even 24bit FLAC files on the iPad.  It does appear that, as I supposed, the interface is rather clunky, and reading through the thread on it here at head-fi, that there are often problems with skipping, etc.  Also, while it appears that the software supports 24bit, it is questionable whether people are actually getting that resolution OUT of the iPad (or at least reliably - see this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/559390/ipad-or-ipad-2-and-24-bit-files)

The Airport Express, while bit perfect, is certainly limited to 16/48, so don't go that route if hi-rez is a must. 

Now I'm interested in hearing more!  Sorry for the mis-information, and keep us updated with how it goes!

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #20 of 20
I wouldn't call it my "ipad rig" since I only tried it temporarily but it worked out really well and sounded good.

ipad->usb connection kit->belkin usb hub->aqvox usb power supply->audiophilleo2->Rega DAC-> Rest of system

-slacker on ipad seems to sound better than from a PC web browser
-audiogalaxy also sounded good streaming music
-gaming on it sounded better than ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back