iPad-Fi
Apr 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #106 of 623
Im not really used to the personal attack thing here, so Rumz, go troll someone else.

The best thing the ipad can do is usher in some competition and make the flat tablet become a serious computer replacement. I actually had one in the 90's and used it in class in college...it just never went anywhere past that.

I will very likely get version 2 of it if someone hasn't come out with something better (mac osx or win7 based would be the main thing I would like that the ipad isnt)

None of the apple stores were sold out on launch day and there were no lines - I think they overpriced it honestly considering the amount of $$$ they can make with people buying itunes stuff > hardware margins - hell they could probably subsidize the hardware completely and just hand them out based on numbers I have seen that app store generates.

Quit crying and go buy one if you want it so bad...or go to your nearest starbucks - lots are posing for heroic picture shots all around where I live...the best was a guy who hung out with his MBP 17, iphone, and ipad all strung out on a table at starbucks and tried to make eye contact with everyone who passed by at the mall...I almost sat down and got all my stuff out and tossed my DS, PSP, and audio gear out too.

Anyways enjoy the ipad - it was an impressive piece of equipment.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #107 of 623
Great news at the apple announcement today. With the ability to use the iPad with Skype this fall, I'm not going to be signing any contracts with phone companies any more. If I need to get a cheap cell phone in the meantime, that's fine.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #108 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news at the apple announcement today. With the ability to use the iPad with Skype this fall, I'm not going to be signing any contracts with phone companies any more. If I need to get a cheap cell phone in the meantime, that's fine.

you're going to use skype in place of a home phone and cell phone?

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #109 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best thing the ipad can do is usher in some competition and make the flat tablet become a serious computer replacement. I actually had one in the 90's and used it in class in college...it just never went anywhere past that.

Guaranteed. Interesting that tablets haven't caught on in the mainstream over the years. I'd love one of those modded MacBooks that has a Wacom touch screen on it, but they're ridiculously cost prohibitive. Apple has the drawing power to make such a device mainstream, and everyone else's efforts will benefit. I've already seen some cool looking tablets on engadget-- Android based and otherwise. Also like the idea behind MS's Courier concept. The thing is, these are becoming sort of specialized devices rather than desktop replacements. The iPad and some of these other devices (like the Courier) are meant to do specific things and do them better or more conveniently than on a desktop / laptop-- but not to replace them.

Quote:

I will very likely get version 2 of it if someone hasn't come out with something better (mac osx or win7 based would be the main thing I would like that the ipad isnt)

I'm hearing rumors already of a *smaller* device (5-7" screen). I think it'd be strange. What will it be, the iPad and the iPad Pro? In any case, judging by what Apple's doing with iPhone OS... I somehow doubt they'll produce something that runs OS X, unless it's in the MacBook lineup. (from a UI point of view, OS X just wasn't designed for that kind of multitouch, though you could pull it off with a stylus maybe).

Quote:

None of the apple stores were sold out on launch day and there were no lines - I think they overpriced it honestly considering the amount of $$$ they can make with people buying itunes stuff > hardware margins - hell they could probably subsidize the hardware completely and just hand them out based on numbers I have seen that app store generates.

Yeah first gen always feels pricey. I remember paying $400 for a 16gb iPod Touch a few years back :\ I suppose the value depends on each person's utility. It's obviously not worth it for a lot of people.

Quote:

Quit crying and go buy one if you want it so bad...or go to your nearest starbucks - lots are posing for heroic picture shots all around where I live...the best was a guy who hung out with his MBP 17, iphone, and ipad all strung out on a table at starbucks and tried to make eye contact with everyone who passed by at the mall...I almost sat down and got all my stuff out and tossed my DS, PSP, and audio gear out too.

LOL. Sorry for being an *****. I truly was puzzled, didn't meant to make it personal. I've gone from wanting one to thinking I'd have no use for one to now thinking I have some ways that I'd really like to use one. I chafing already though as I hear Apple has BANNED the use of Adobe's forthcoming Flash to iPhone compiler. I like Apple but sometimes I hate them.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #110 of 623
I was going to wait for the inevitable next generation ipad (probably still will) but all the cool apps (Netflix!!) and the new upcoming multitasking make me want to buy one now.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #111 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to wait for the inevitable next generation ipad (probably still will) but all the cool apps (Netflix!!) and the new upcoming multitasking make me want to buy one now.
wink.gif

According to this
How Multitasking Works in the New iPhone OS 4.0 - iPhone - Gizmodo

not really multitasking - more pause and switch and that limited to:

>Background audio for apps like Pandora
>Voice-over-IP services, for applications like Skype
>Background location
>Push notification was a background task already
>Task completion
>Fast app switching (will make all running apps instantly available ?)

LOL

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #112 of 623
Actually, that's just fine with me. As long as I can have pandora playing in the background while playing a game or surfing the web, I'm perfectly happy with that. If I know I'll be doing a lot of things on the go, I'll just bring my laptop.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #113 of 623
My parents bougt me one for my birthday, been playing with it for the last several days. It's pretty cool, only downside I think is that you have to have at least leopard to plug it into your Mac, so I activated it using my buddies pc, went and bought snow leopard just now though and I'm installing it, typing this on my iPad
smily_headphones1.gif

So what are some must have apps you guys think we should get? Netflix obviously, the abc player, imdb, ap news thingy, craigsphone for iPad is pretty nuts as well.

Edit: several pages back someone was complaining about project guttenberg, you can go download any book off the website and synch it onto the iPad, actually any book in pub format can be synched through iTunes.

Also typing on this thing is actually pretty good, this was my first long thing I've typed and it worked great in landscape mode flat on my bed. Can type pretty fast

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #114 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're going to use skype in place of a home phone and cell phone?

Yes, the reason I haven't up to now is that without multitasking, incoming calls wouldn't work. I get terrible cell phone reception at my house, and AT&T support hasn't been able to improve it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #115 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to this
How Multitasking Works in the New iPhone OS 4.0 - iPhone - Gizmodo

not really multitasking - more pause and switch and that limited to:

>Background audio for apps like Pandora
>Voice-over-IP services, for applications like Skype
>Background location
>Push notification was a background task already
>Task completion
>Fast app switching (will make all running apps instantly available ?)

LOL

This is all I really want for the iPad. Seeing as apps can retain their state so that when you launch it again you pick up where you left off, this allows me to listen to something in the background and take notes in another app or something. Yeah it'd be nice if I could have like a Twitter app open the same time as another, but oh well.

Just makes me appreciate WebOS more
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #116 of 623
rumz and twylight, please stop the attacks toward each other.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #117 of 623
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the reason I haven't up to now is that without multitasking, incoming calls wouldn't work. I get terrible cell phone reception at my house, and AT&T support hasn't been able to improve it.

hope you dont need any emergency service
confused_face.gif
911 isnt available on VOIP. also, you'd only get VOIP when you have an internet connection and from the problems people are having with the ipads wifi i dont think your call quality is going to be any better than your spotty AT&T(i have the same problem). also, you can only make calls on the run if you hit a hotspot and the quality will probably be terrible due to high traffic on the access point. these are the reasons i still have a cell phone. i havent had a land line since i moved out of my parents house though.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #118 of 623
the ipads wireless problem is a blanket problem, its only a problem with certain dual band implementations. I dont have a single problem using my linksys wireless G router, using the iPad and my 360 and my laptop at the same time. But then again none of my stuff uses wireless N

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #119 of 623
If I could handle most of my calls using Skype, I could get by with my iPad and a cheap cell phone with a cheap service. The iPhone is great, but the service I am getting from AT&T just isn't worth it. I'd rather have my iPad than my iPhone.

No problems with wifi at all here.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #120 of 623
bigshot, I see you mentioned cbr files. does the iPad support comics in that or cbz file format? how about PDF?

do you or anyone else care to comment on how comics look and the readability of them on the iPad?

If it does comics well then I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back