iPad 3 anticipation
Apr 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #226 of 276
Not true. I don't need to go to a forum to know because I have an iPad that I tested (read my post above). Also, CR reached the same conclusion.

I posted published survey results that show that you are in a very small minority of people. Also, CR says that the issue only affects hardcore gamers (mainly infinity blade ii) and for those people, they can turn down the brightness if it is an issue. If your iPad is not performing the same way as mine, the posters above, or the same as Consumers Reports iPad, you should return it. In addition to my video test, I run the nightstand app all night and the iPad is always at 100 percent charge when I get up no matter how little charge is on the iPad when I go to bed. Your math is wrong.

Explain how my math is wrong and how I just so happened to receive three iPads that do exactly the same thing? Scootermafia just posted and said the same thing. The new iPad has been tested at drawing up to 5 amps. The charger is 2.1 amps. Where's the improper math?

And your reasoning is still flawed. A hardcore gamer should be able to use full brightness if it's plugged in. Name one tablet, phone, or laptop that can't do that other than the new iPad.

There is nothing to return and exchange it for! Apple told me on the phone the engineers are trying to solve the problem, whether through software or sending out new chargers or having to fix the hardware inside the device itself for those who it bothers, or it might possibly require all three of those. They KNOW there's a problem. Most people just don't notice it or use tablets plugged in.

If your iPad works perfectly as you say it does than that would mean they used different hardware inside different iPad 3s. You really think they did that? It just so happens that the two stores I visited all have bad iPads on display that won't stay fully charged? Come on now. It's not a conspiracy, it's a flaw in the design. They wanted it to be USB 2.0 compliant which doesn't provide enough power. Or perhaps they started sending people 5 amp chargers even though they say 2.1 amps? Come on now.

Is your display on all night? It doesn't go to sleep at all? Full brightness all night long? If the display goes off, yes it will fully charge. With the display on it won't and since I've personally seen at least 10 new iPads already, I don't buy the argument "they must have all been defective."

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #227 of 276
1 to 2 hour long video? That's 16 gb of video. **** that. You'll have to pay me per hour for that kind of work. I made a 10 min long video or me doing various things and I sped it up so it's only 2- 3 mins long. Once Vimeo finishes working on the video I'll post it.

Prove all of your claims with a video. Do it.

You've done nothing to prove them besides refer to other people having problems.

Seems like we have a troll among us.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #228 of 276
Are you calling us liars?  We max the brightness, use the iPad, and the battery percentage goes down.  I'm a rabid Apple fanboy otherwise, I've got nothing to gain from posting this other than to tell the truth.  

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #229 of 276
1 to 2 hour long video? That's 16 gb of video. **** that. You'll have to pay me per hour for that kind of work. I made a 10 min long video or me doing various things and I sped it up so it's only 2- 3 mins long. Once Vimeo finishes working on the video I'll post it.

Prove all of your claims with a video. Do it.

You've done nothing to prove them besides refer to other people having problems.

Seems like we have a troll among us.

I knew it.

I've returned two of them, not enough proof? Scootermafia's post? I will gladly show a video of my battery draining if it would get some resolution. Call the reps at the Northridge store and ask for Jordan. He watched my iPads drain, and has seen all their iPads drain.

Like I said 10 minutes shows nothing, just using up the "beyond 100% charge."

No one who says their iPad is functioning normally has been willing to show proof of it, and until they do Apple won't be able to fix it. That's why I know they all have issues, plus the obvious underpowered charger.

Aren't we supposed to help one another solve problems? If someone asks me to help them troubleshoot issues with their audio system, I don't demand they pay me and I've spent way more than 1-2 hours doing so, on many occasions.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #231 of 276
https://vimeo.com/39872878

There is proof. Load cad files of that size isn't an easy task either.
Now I'm going to go back to enjoying my iPad while you guys wine about some problem that only a very few amount of people are having. Love this circle jerk here. You guys brighten my day. Just love reading your posts ranting and raving over this.

Enjoy.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #233 of 276

Quote:
I knew it.
I've returned two of them, not enough proof? Scootermafia's post? I will gladly show a video of my battery draining if it would get some resolution. Call the reps at the Northridge store and ask for Jordan. He watched my iPads drain, and has seen all their iPads drain.
Like I said 10 minutes shows nothing, just using up the "beyond 100% charge."
No one who says their iPad is functioning normally has been willing to show proof of it, and until they do Apple won't be able to fix it. That's why I know they all have issues, plus the obvious underpowered charger.
Aren't we supposed to help one another solve problems? If someone asks me to help them troubleshoot issues with their audio system, I don't demand they pay me and I've spent way more than 1-2 hours doing so, on many occasions.

Are you saying that while charging, and in use, the battery will go from the little "plug" to the "lightning bolt"? That doesn't sound like a very dramatic drop at all. If you pull it off of the charger after having it on all night and you get something like 98% battery, that's not a very big deal IMO. Have you tried buying a third party USB wall charger and seeing if that is indeed the issue (sorry, I don't recall if you did earlier in the thread).

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #234 of 276
Wow, looks like you guys are having trouble with your new iPads. I use mine (base wifi model) at ~60% brightness and so far, I have no issues with overheating or battery drain in a normal condition (warm or cold weather - you know Melbourne). It gets warm when playing games, but not to the point it gets annoying. On one occasion, my iPad heated up because I'm using Garageband in direct sunlight. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #235 of 276
Okay. I just spent 20 minutes recording a video for you. Unfortunately, this video shows exactly the opposite of what I've been saying to you this entire time. I decided to switch outlets in my house to see if that would make a difference, because I had it plugged into a surge protector like all my other components, and lo and behold it now charges to 100% with the plug icon. This makes absolutely no sense at all to me whatsoever. When we tested the iPad at the Apple store, and my iPad specifically, we didn't use a surge protector to the best of my knowledge. More importantly, why would a surge protector make any difference at all? I did not have it plugged into my PS Audio PowerPlant P5, but rather a Belkin PureAV $60 power strip. And the most important of all, the last iPad that I had in my possession before I returned it, I had plugged directly into the wall just like I did now and it wouldn't take a charge. For some reason, it also won't take a charge if plugged into a USB extension cord, even if the extension cord is only 6 feet in length. There is no reason why this should be.

If you want to see the 20 minute video anyway, I have it available. I did however at the end say "I am now going to punch myself in the face" because it was the most surprising thing I've yet seen since I've owned the iPad. It seems to have a mind of its own. That's all I can say.

Scootermafia, try plugging your iPad into a different outlet. Maybe, for some reason unbeknownst to us, each outlet responds differently to the charger. There is no earthly reason why this should be, but it seems to be nonetheless.

Unfortunately, the outlet I just tried this on is by the floor and I don't feel like sitting on the floor by the wall every time I use my iPad.

This is a real head scratcher, for sure. But I do have a question. Even though I haven't been trying to charge it with USB extension cords because people have said it will cause charging problems, why should the USB extension cord of 6 feet in length make any difference to how the iPad charges?

Anyway, I will keep this thread updated if I notice it's not charging properly again.

This really makes me think of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Electrons acting differently when being watched or filmed? Unreal.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #236 of 276
Also, to add, when the charge level was dropping I was having iMessage conversations with somebody else. When I just filmed a 20 minute video I was having iMessage conversations with myself. That shouldn't make any difference, but maybe it does. It's a complete mystery to me. I guess surge protectors are a no-no with the iPad.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #237 of 276

Quote:
Wow, looks like you guys are having trouble with your new iPads. I use mine (base wifi model) at ~60% brightness and so far, I have no issues with overheating or battery drain in a normal condition (warm or cold weather - you know Melbourne). It gets warm when playing games, but not to the point it gets annoying. On one occasion, my iPad heated up because I'm using Garageband in direct sunlight. 

That's precisely it. I'm thinking people having problems with the iPad might be a bit OCD...to be honest.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #238 of 276

Quote:

That's precisely it. I'm thinking people having problems with the iPad might be a bit OCD...to be honest.

No, we just expect it to perform as reliably as any iDevice to come before it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Maybe to some people here $800 is like $50 to me. Not all of us are wealthy and we just expect to get a fair, working to spec product that we paid for. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you think about it rationally, you'll come to the same conclusion.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #239 of 276
i just tried to set brightness to 100% and auto off, the battery is at 93%, I plug it in with the changer comes with my iPad2 and stream HBO and normal ActiveSync emails.  It is hold at 93% for an hour, it did not go up or down on the battery percentage.  I will try for a longer test if I have time this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back