iPad 3 anticipation
Apr 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #256 of 276
ImperialX, here's an image I pulled from online.
This is not what I would call a "slight yellowing."  That's why Apple is allowing them to be returned.
It's a production defect.

You can also see the one on the right has a pink tint on the right side.  Fortunately my newest iPad doesn't have these issues and has perfect color.  So do I return it for a 4th time and possibly chance getting a more stable battery and a bad display, or do I just keep it until hopefully, like Apple told me, a fix may be issued?  I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #258 of 276
So do I return it for a 4th time and possibly chance getting a more stable battery and a bad display, or do I just keep it until hopefully, like Apple told me, a fix may be issued? I'm just not sure what to do at this point

I would exchange it until I was happy.

I may be a pain in the ass and hard to please in instances like these, but I do believe one deserves to get what they pay for and a newer generation of a product should at least feature all of the same abilities, and more, then its predecessor. I'll let the battery go through a few more cycles and if it won't charge (while using apps) then I'll decide then what to do, likely returning it to Apple. Though since its outside the initial 14 days now they would just give me a refurb most likely. I still don't see how it will change anything, if the iPad uses more than 2.1 amps and the charger just can't deliver. Once that 65-75% brightness threshold is crossed while running apps, it uses more than 2.1 amps.

Interestingly, it gets hotter and uses more power in a program like iMessage which has mainly white and light colors. I'm not sure why this would matter if the brightness level is not on auto. The backlight would be outputting just as many lumens if the screen were dark colored or light colored since it's the LCD controlling how much light is being blocked. With an OLED screen, this would of course make sense but not with the LCD/LED backlit screen of the iPad.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #259 of 276
So who got the new 1080p Apple TV and do you like it? Mine arrived yesterday and the quality is definitely superior than the previous generation.

I've noticed a bug in AirPlay with the new iPad though. Occasionally when activating AirPlay, it will come on the tv screen and then immediately AirPlay turns off. I then have to close all open apps or sometimes even hard reset the iPad to make it work again. I'm sure they'll issue a patch for it though.

Watching iTunes trailers with AppleTV is nice, and the quality is close to Blu-ray but not quite. I can see it making Netflix obsolete for many people since Netflix streaming has a very poor selection. Apple has a good selection of movies though. $3.99 for a rental and $9.99 for a purchase (when available) is a pretty good price for 1080p content. $2.99 for a TV show rental is a little pricey though.

Apr 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #260 of 276

Quote:
So who got the new 1080p Apple TV and do you like it? Mine arrived yesterday and the quality is definitely superior than the previous generation.
I've noticed a bug in AirPlay with the new iPad though. Occasionally when activating AirPlay, it will come on the tv screen and then immediately AirPlay turns off. I then have to close all open apps or sometimes even hard reset the iPad to make it work again. I'm sure they'll issue a patch for it though.
Watching iTunes trailers with AppleTV is nice, and the quality is close to Blu-ray but not quite. I can see it making Netflix obsolete for many people since Netflix streaming has a very poor selection. Apple has a good selection of movies though. $3.99 for a rental and $9.99 for a purchase (when available) is a pretty good price for 1080p content. $2.99 for a TV show rental is a little pricey though.

The fact that it's not subscription-based hold it back though. Netflix may not have the best selection, but $8 a month is cheap for what you get. Even other subscription streaming services like Hulu Plus, CinemaNow, and Blockbuster hasn't managed to knock Netflix down.

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #261 of 276
Quote:

The fact that it's not subscription-based hold it back though. Netflix may not have the best selection, but $8 a month is cheap for what you get. Even other subscription streaming services like Hulu Plus, CinemaNow, and Blockbuster hasn't managed to knock Netflix down.

Netflix Blu-Ray has a good selection but they have practically no good movies or new releases on streaming... Mainly B-title movies and documentaries.

I agree, a subscription-based service for AppleTV would be great, but they will never do it unfortunately. The only way I could see them doing that is if they release the iTV.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #262 of 276
I have compared the iPad 3 with my MacBook Air and iPhone. I admit there is a yellow taint, but so what? The screen is still gorgeous and this device is still amazing for its $499 base price. That's all that matters, like I've said again and again.

Quote:

I've noticed this as well on my Apple TV too but only with mirroring. Doesn't happen when I'm just playing movies or something from Air Video or StreamToMe.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #263 of 276

Quote:
I have compared the iPad 3 with my MacBook Air and iPhone. I admit there is a yellow taint, but so what? The screen is still gorgeous and this device is still amazing for its $499 base price. That's all that matters, like I've said again and again.

I've noticed this as well on my Apple TV too but only with mirroring. Doesn't happen when I'm just playing movies or something from Air Video or StreamToMe.

What do you mean "so what?"  An IPS screen should deliver accurate color.  I doubt many people take your stance and are okay with yellow screens, which is why Apple has had a ton of them returned no questions asked.  It's a problem they are aware of.  It doesn't matter that it only cost $499.  If they advertise that a screen is supposed to perform a certain way, then it should.  You can't make excuses for their assembly line using too much glue between the digitizer and panel, nor can you make excuses for Apple allowing them to be shipped out with so many issues.

Yes, the AppleTV only does it with mirroring.  Using other apps to get around the bug doesn't make it okay either.  It's a $99 device you pay for which is advertised as allowing mirroring, and thus it should perform without error.  This is something Apple can write a patch for though.  The problems with the iPad are likely not correctable through software, and certainly not the yellow screen.  If the yellow screen doesn't bother you you don't have to exchange it, but just know that they are allowing people to return them for that reason because even Apple finds it unacceptable.  Two nights ago I was using my iPad only with the Facebook app and it got so hot at 100% brightness I couldn't hold it for more than a minute because it was so uncomfortable.  I don't see how Apple could find that acceptable, but they haven't objected to it yet.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #264 of 276
Don't think I'll pick this one up. Rear-facing camera on a tablet is useless FWIW and my iPad 2 has strong performance already (have *never* noticed *any* lag... ever). What's interesting is the screen, but resolution is not everything. I want them to improve the black level performance (the black levels on iPhone, Macbook, iPad and especially iMac SUCKS) but I guess that won't happen until they abandon the LED-backlighting... 

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #265 of 276

Quote:
Don't think I'll pick this one up. Rear-facing camera on a tablet is useless FWIW and my iPad 2 has strong performance already (have *never* noticed *any* lag... ever). What's interesting is the screen, but resolution is not everything. I want them to improve the black level performance (the black levels on iPhone, Macbook, iPad and especially iMac SUCKS) but I guess that won't happen until they abandon the LED-backlighting... 

How black do you want it to be? I think you're thinking OLED black, but it's still a relatively new technology and to put it on anything bigger than a phone wouldn't be very cost effective. I think the iMac has one of the best displays I've ever seen for an LED. And they did give the iPad 3 a little more color saturation.

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #266 of 276
     Quote:
How black do you want it to be? I think you're thinking OLED black, but it's still a relatively new technology and to put it on anything bigger than a phone wouldn't be very cost effective. I think the iMac has one of the best displays I've ever seen for an LED. And they did give the iPad 3 a little more color saturation.

:wink: 

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #267 of 276
Is that with the backlight at 100%? Obviously at night the blacks aren't super black but it's fine in the day and w/auto-brightness you still set the max brightness level and I never put that anywhere near max.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #268 of 276

Quote:
Is that with the backlight at 100%? Obviously at night the blacks aren't super black but it's fine in the day and w/auto-brightness you still set the max brightness level and I never put that anywhere near max.

I know, I was just messin' around. But the black-level is still not fully satisfying for me (I usually set it to below half brightness setting). Black level is also not only about pure blackness, but about the detail and texture of the blacks. Here the iMac is especially annoying as I must have it at lowest or close to lowest setting when it's dark and I want to watch a movie. If I don't do so, I just get washed out blacks, and if I do I lose all of the shadow detail. Dark scenes are just dark with no textures. The iMac display has nice, vivid colors, excellent resolution and great viewing angles but black level sucks. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #269 of 276

Quote:
I know, I was just messin' around. But the black-level is still not fully satisfying for me (I usually set it to below half brightness setting). Black level is also not only about pure blackness, but about the detail and texture of the blacks. Here the iMac is especially annoying as I must have it at lowest or close to lowest setting when it's dark and I want to watch a movie. If I don't do so, I just get washed out blacks, and if I do I lose all of the shadow detail. Dark scenes are just dark with no textures. The iMac display has nice, vivid colors, excellent resolution and great viewing angles but black level sucks. 

Super amoled + displays have deeper, "blacker" blacks but it doesn't have ultra pixels.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #270 of 276
Do what I do with my TV and monitor - use bias lighting. It's not good for your eyes to stare at bright displays in a dark room, and as well as reducing eye strain, bias lighting cheats improves your perception of contrast. You need the light to be 6500k though, otherwise it changes your colour perception slightly (thus making calibrated screens worthless). Can't do this with an iPad obviously... well, you could but it'd be rather OTT. Strength of the light also has to be right (there's a figure but I forgot) otherwise you end up crushing your blacks.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back