iPad 3 anticipation
Apr 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #241 of 276

Quote:
Maybe to some people here $800 is like $50 to me. Not all of us are wealthy and we just expect to get a fair, working to spec product that we paid for. Nothing more, nothing less.
If you think about it rationally, you'll come to the same conclusion.

The iPad 16GB is $499. If you consider how much a display of similar resolution and ppi cost, you should already be aware of the type of product you will be getting. 

If the colors are a tiny bit off, I hardly think one should complain. The Apple Thunderbolt Display cost more than double the new iPad. That is what you get to complain about if you have a color issue. Frankly Apple is already doing very well accepting returns for such trivial reasons. I don't think there's much anyone can ask for here.

I have a perfect new iPad. Are the colors off? I don't know. I can't see it. Even if I can see it...I probably wouldn't return it. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #242 of 276
Quote:
Maybe to some people here $800 is like $50 to me. Not all of us are wealthy and we just expect to get a fair, working to spec product that we paid for. Nothing more, nothing less.
If you think about it rationally, you'll come to the same conclusion.

The iPad 16GB is $499. If you consider how much a display of similar resolution and ppi cost, you should already be aware of the type of product you will be getting. 

If the colors are a tiny bit off, I hardly think one should complain. The Apple Thunderbolt Display cost more than double the new iPad. That is what you get to complain about if you have a color issue. Frankly Apple is already doing very well accepting returns for such trivial reasons. I don't think there's much anyone can ask for here.

I have a perfect new iPad. Are the colors off? I don't know. I can't see it. Even if I can see it...I probably wouldn't return it. 

Well that is you. Apple is accepting returns for bad displays because they screwed up with the glue. They rushed it to market, and didn't allow enough time for the glue to dry, and in other cases applied the glue improperly. That's why many screens have a severe yellow tint. If you go to YouTube, you can clearly see the difference between a good screen and a bad screen.

The difference between the new iPad and the iPhone and iPhone 4S is significant. The iPhone is not color accurate, having a bluer hue, but the new iPad is more accurate with a warmer hue. This makes the new iPad an excellent photography tool when paired with a $5 SD card camera connection kit, or the $30 Apple branded connection kit. When the new iPad display is functioning as it was designed to, it is absolutely stunning and most everyone will agree with this opinion. I've only read one post on the Apple forums where one person didn't think the new display was that much of an improvement over the previous display.

I also find the 4G LTE speeds extremely impressive. The upload speeds on Verizon LTE are literally more than 10 times my home Internet upload speeds. The download speeds are comparable. Overall, this makes LTE speeds faster than the majority of home Internet. I am hoping that when Sprint offers LTE next year, they keep the unlimited plan for iPhones. Then I will pay the $20 hotspot option and use it for my iPad and my home computer, and get rid of my $40 a month cable modem plan from Roadrunner. RoadRunner now offers a 50Mbps option instead of the 20 Mbps option, however their upload speed remains the same at 2 Mbps which is slow in this day and age. Some LTE markets are even showing download speeds of up to 60 Mbps down and 45 Mbps up. My LTE with 4/5 bars was last tested at 19 Mbps down and 23.5 Mbps up, which in my opinion is incredible for wireless and is truly awesome to use.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #243 of 276

Quote:
Well that is you. Apple is accepting returns for bad displays because they screwed up with the glue. They rushed it to market, and didn't allow enough time for the glue to dry, and in other cases applied the glue improperly. That's why many screens have a severe yellow tint. If you go to YouTube, you can clearly see the difference between a good screen and a bad screen.

I can see the yellow hue, but I don't care. It doesn't affect me or how I use it. You can't even tell the hue is there unless you put it beside another display. And the hue will go away in time. I'm sure you know this because you mentioned the glue.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #245 of 276
I'm a proud new owner of an ipad 3 64gb. Coming from a 1st gen 64gb ipad, I must say this is a huge upgrade all the way round. One improvement I didn't expected was the audio quality. The sound is cleaner, more transparent with better instrument separation. These are not huge improvements, but they are very noticeable. The sound is good enough that I don't think I'm going to bother with the whole cck, finding a dac that works drama. I skipped over the ipad 2 because I didn't feel the improvements were enough to warrant the purchase. But that's not the case with the 3. So much faster and responsive, and the retina display is just gorgeous. Just the display is worth it imo, I'm now enjoying hand held gaming again. The gaming enjoyment for me is right up there with my computer and xbox rigs. I've never been able to say that about a portable device.  And oh yeah, I'm not having any of the charging and heat issues others are having luckily. I was worried I might after reading some of the post. But even if I did, I would complain about it the the extent others have. If it's that big of deal I would just return it and go with something else. But that's just me.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #246 of 276
Just because you don't mind defective products or problems does not mean everyone else shouldn't either. Customers have every right to be picky about any good product they purchase, since they paid their own hard-earned money for products that should have been Q/Ced properly.

Quote:

I can see the yellow hue, but I don't care. It doesn't affect me or how I use it. You can't even tell the hue is there unless you put it beside another display. And the hue will go away in time. I'm sure you know this because you mentioned the glue.

You're making an over-generalization, and completely ignoring iPodPJ's reasoning (what are you afraid of?)

Quote:
Think about what? Most iPad out there are fine? Holy crap! What a conclusion.
rolleyes.gif

Most people buy products and expect them to run 100% as expected. Not just you.

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #247 of 276
Quote:

That isn't necessarily true. Apple is just telling that to people. The more you get used to something the more it tends to become normal. In the units that are severely yellow too much glue was used. But if you're content with it then that's fine too. I am extremely devoted to quality control with my own products that I make and sell, and I expect those that I purchase from other companies to also live up to those standards, especially a company like Apple whos products I've been purchasing since the Quadra 840AV.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #248 of 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Just because you don't mind defective products or problems does not mean everyone else shouldn't either. Customers have every right to be picky about any good product they purchase, since they paid their own hard-earned money for products that should have been Q/Ced properly.

Which is why I said I would return it and go with something else. If I have to turn the brightness all the way up and run apps just for it not to charge, the no, thats not a big deal for me. I never plan to use it like that. I never said accept it if it's a big deal for someone else. Did you you read the part about returning it? Anyway, mine don't have that issue.[

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #249 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Which is why I said I would return it and go with something else. If I have to turn the brightness all the way up and run apps just for it not to charge, the no, thats not a big deal for me. I never plan to use it like that. I never said accept it if it's a big deal for someone else. Did you you read the part about returning it? Anyway, mine don't have that issue.[

Let's assume I wanted to use it as a transport. I would certainly need an extension cord which it won't charge if used with. It won't charge with the regular cord either if music is playing as I discovered. So how can one use it to listen to continuous music if it won't stay fully charged? With music playing it loses about 1% every 6 minutes or so, unless of course I have the brightness turned way down. This would make it the only Apple device with that problem. Only when I wasn't using it or just sending texts to myself would it charge. There are lots of people who use iPods or iPads for music streaming and at 85% or higher brightness it will fully drain in 5-6 hours. You would then have to let it fully charge for another 10 hours before you could use it again on a full charge. It shouldn't be that way.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #250 of 276
I'm not saying you shouldn't return it if you truly have an issue, although things that are considered "issues" vary from person to person. I think Apple accepting returns for just a slightly yellow screen is already testament of their brilliant customer service. If you find it an issue, return it and be done with it. Every single iPad will have a slightly yellow hue because that's the nature of the screen. If you don't like it, just return it. If you don't see it as an issue, then keep it.

Also, regarding battery charging, Wi-Fi and all those other issues, I haven't experienced any of them, as with 99.9999% of the millions of customers who purchased the new iPad. If you experience it, bad luck, just return it, get a new one. That's it really. Don't see much more to say...

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #251 of 276

Quote:
Let's assume I wanted to use it as a transport. I would certainly need an extension cord which it won't charge if used with. It won't charge with the regular cord either if music is playing as I discovered. So how can one use it to listen to continuous music if it won't stay fully charged? With music playing it loses about 1% every 6 minutes or so, unless of course I have the brightness turned way down. This would make it the only Apple device with that problem. Only when I wasn't using it or just sending texts to myself would it charge. There are lots of people who use iPods or iPads for music streaming and at 85% or higher brightness it will fully drain in 5-6 hours. You would then have to let it fully charge for another 10 hours before you could use it again on a full charge. It shouldn't be that way.

All of the issues you listed and what I was saying are two different things. If you have all of those issues, I wouldn't accept that. I've been using mine outside every day with full brightness, and don't have any of the issues you mentioned. But if the "only" issue was it not charging while running apps on full brightness,  then that would be acceptable for "me" because I don't charge while I'm using it. But if it was loosing charge that rapidly as you said, then that's another issue along with not charging. Like I said, if those issues were something I couldn't deal with,  I would return it.. I would never keep something that I was annoyed with.

I also find it very strange some people are having the charging and heat issues, and others are not. Especially with you going through a few of them. It makes me wonder if whole batches sent out are defective. I don't doubt the issues you are having, but from reading some of your other posts, you seem to doubt others are not having these same issues. It just could be possible some batches are defective and others are not.

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #252 of 276
I just wanna toss this into the fray...I tried ipodpj's test today - screen 100%, no auto brightness, disabled auto lock. Streamed music from slacker radio to AirPlay speakers for 5 hours straight, while plugged into my ipad2 charger direct to the wall. Started at 61% charge and crept my way up to 66% - over the 5 hour spread. Not fantastic by any means. Is it possible that at the 100% charge level we are seeing an exaggerated effect of trickle charging happening?

All I know is I'm very happy with my new iPad and it's working exactly as advertised.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #253 of 276

Quote:
I just wanna toss this into the fray...I tried ipodpj's test today - screen 100%, no auto brightness, disabled auto lock. Streamed music from slacker radio to AirPlay speakers for 5 hours straight, while plugged into my ipad2 charger direct to the wall. Started at 61% charge and crept my way up to 66% - over the 5 hour spread. Not fantastic by any means. Is it possible that at the 100% charge level we are seeing an exaggerated effect of trickle charging happening?
All I know is I'm very happy with my new iPad and it's working exactly as advertised.

I think if you can charge it and have it be fully charged the next day, and then you get the 10 hours of battery life, that doesn't seem like much of a defect.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #254 of 276
When you think about it, considering what's IN the iPad 3rd gen, it's a minor miracle they kept the battery life roughly the same as the iPad 2 in the first place. That it takes longer to charge because it's 70% bigger and can be stalled by doing power-hungry things while charging isn't really a surprise. I never, ever use mine while charging because I'm either asleep or doing something else and it feels like I'm defeating the point of having a portable device if I have to keep it plugged in (hello: most laptops). Unfortunately battery tech is advancing painfully slowly relative to everything else, and I imagine Apple were just as irked as anyone that they had to but an absolutely giant battery in the iPad and make it a hair thicker and heavier (though still smaller and lighter than the first iPad) just to keep it running as long. I'd be surprised if 2012 offers any real solutions either - this isn't something that will be changed overnight.

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #255 of 276
I'm not saying you shouldn't return it if you truly have an issue, although things that are considered "issues" vary from person to person. I think Apple accepting returns for just a slightly yellow screen is already testament of their brilliant customer service. If you find it an issue, return it and be done with it. Every single iPad will have a slightly yellow hue because that's the nature of the screen. If you don't like it, just return it. If you don't see it as an issue, then keep it.

Also, regarding battery charging, Wi-Fi and all those other issues, I haven't experienced any of them, as with 99.9999% of the millions of customers who purchased the new iPad. If you experience it, bad luck, just return it, get a new one. That's it really. Don't see much more to say...
I agree. Continue returning it until you get a good one. I and others have tested our iPads and know the issue doesn't exist on ours. Therefore, there must be a bad batch or something. I would try to return it online rather that returning it to the store. You might have better luck at getting the new one from a different batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back