iPad 3 anticipation
Apr 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #211 of 276

Quote:
Sorry, I don't believe you.  I've been to several Apple Stores now and they've all had this problem, and is reported all over the Apple forums.  I myself am on my 3rd one.  Please, show me a video of the iPad at 100% brightness, auto brightness turned off, using one app, let's say "iMessage", plugged in with the Apple charger, with the PLUG icon showing -- not the charging icon --- the PLUG icon... which means it's fully charged and can charge no more.  This is how every, single iDevice operates because it has adequate power going to it from the charger.  But even the charging icon -- the lightning bolt -- will not stay at 100%.  If it did, there would already be videos online proving this.

Why don't I believe you?  Simple math.  The iPad 3 at full brightness draws twice as much power as the charger is capable of delivering.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #212 of 276

Quote:

Excellent!  If yours works than I will send that video to Apple and demand they send me my 4th new iPad that works exactly like it.

Also please look earlier in the thread.   I posted a link where you can go and enter you serial number and it will tell you the production date and facility of your iPad.  All that information is important, too.

Thanks.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #214 of 276

Quote:
Sorry, I don't believe you.  I've been to several Apple Stores now and they've all had this problem, and is reported all over the Apple forums.  I myself am on my 3rd one.  Please, show me a video of the iPad at 100% brightness, auto brightness turned off, using one app, let's say "iMessage", plugged in with the Apple charger, with the PLUG icon showing -- not the charging icon --- the PLUG icon... which means it's fully charged and can charge no more.  This is how every, single iDevice operates because it has adequate power going to it from the charger.  But even the charging icon -- the lightning bolt -- will not stay at 100%.  If it did, there would already be videos online proving this.

Why don't I believe you?  Simple math.  The iPad 3 at full brightness draws twice as much power as the charger is capable of delivering.

you may be right on charger is not able to deliver but on real world usage, when is the last time you set to 100% brightness and auto off?  Not to mention you play 3d game for two hours to get it heat up to very warm.  

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #216 of 276

Quote:
Excellent!  If yours works than I will send that video to Apple and demand they send me my 4th new iPad that works exactly like it.

Also please look earlier in the thread.   I posted a link where you can go and enter you serial number and it will tell you the production date and facility of your iPad.  All that information is important, too.

Thanks.

Just for reference sake (and a bit of snark on my part) - you did not post the link to the serial number decoder.  I did.  I understand your frustration with having "bad' iPad after iPad.  Honestly though, I have to ask the question "if it sucks that bad and you hate it so much - why not just buy a samsung galaxy tab or another android tablet and forget apple?  Or stick with an ipad2?"  It sounds like you want all the best features and are not willing to give on anything.  Next I'd imagine you're gonna complain that the 2 or 3gb "not really 4g" cap is too low and its not your fault it got used....

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #217 of 276
My iPad definitely charges with brightness at 100 percent, auto brightness off, and streaming video. I started with 81 percent of battery power and in an hour it went up to 85 percent. I never use mine at 100 percent brightness, but I set it up that way to test it.

Consumer Reports also tested it with " another challenging game" called Shadowgun at full brightness and it charged slowly.

The other non-issue related to performance at 100 percent battery power has already been addressed by Apple:

"According to Apple, the iPad does in fact continue to charge after the battery icon displays 100%. The tablet will then apparently stop taking in power and discharge a bit, then continue charging to 100%. This process then repeats as long as the iPad is still plugged in. ”That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Apple vice president Michael Tchao told AllThingsD. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.” According to the report, Apple’s iPhone and iPod touch models utilize the same charging pattern."

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #218 of 276
Quote:

you may be right on charger is not able to deliver but on real world usage, when is the last time you set to 100% brightness and auto off?  Not to mention you play 3d game for two hours to get it heat up to very warm.  

Sorry, I can't use multi-quote on the iPhone. There's too much text so I will have to address these posts individually.

I don't use 100% brightness. I use 85% brightness with auto off and I only use iMessage and the iPad heats up tremendously. I never play graphic intensive games. The most I'll ever play on occasion is Angry Birds or Draw Something. And it wouldn't matter if I wanted to use 100% brightness. When I'm home I keep my iPad charged and plugged in so that it's fully charged when I'm ready to go and I should be able to use it at any brightness I feel like.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #219 of 276
Quote:

Thanks.

Just for reference sake (and a bit of snark on my part) - you did not post the link to the serial number decoder.  I did.  I understand your frustration with having "bad' iPad after iPad.  Honestly though, I have to ask the question "if it sucks that bad and you hate it so much - why not just buy a samsung galaxy tab or another android tablet and forget apple?  Or stick with an ipad2?"  It sounds like you want all the best features and are not willing to give on anything.  Next I'd imagine you're gonna complain that the 2 or 3gb "not really 4g" cap is too low and its not your fault it got used....

My apologies. I reposted your post on the Apple forums and elsewhere so I forgot that I didn't do it here. It's not a matter of wanting all the best features. This is the next generation iPad and it should do everything the previous one did and more. Least of all, it should be able to hold a full charge when plugged in like every other device on the planet. I have no complaints with the 4G. It is extremely fast on Verizon, and I don't use much 4G, I use mainly Wi-Fi so I am not at any risk of going outside of my monthly allotment. That being said, however, the carriers will eventually have to up the data allotment because 2 GB or 5 GB is not really enough if you constantly use cellular. It should be unlimited, just like Sprint has unlimited for the iPhone. I have Sprint for my iPhone. The reason I keep the new iPad is simply for the retina display. The graphic quality is amazing and for photography purposes it's superb. If it weren't for the retina display, I would go back to the iPad 2 in a heartbeat. I like the iOS interface which is why I use iDevices. Apple is well aware of the yellowing screen issue, Wi-Fi reception issues (I haven't encountered this problem), and other issues that this new iPad has and any rep in any store will tell you they will exchange it for you no questions asked if you have those problems. But they refuse to admit the battery issue or the overheating issue.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #220 of 276
My iPad definitely charges with brightness at 100 percent, auto brightness off, and streaming video. I started with 81 percent of battery power and in an hour it went up to 85 percent. I never use mine at 100 percent brightness, but I set it up that way to test it.

Consumer Reports also tested it with " another challenging game" called Shadowgun at full brightness and it charged slowly.

The other non-issue related to performance at 100 percent battery power has already been addressed by Apple:

"According to Apple, the iPad does in fact continue to charge after the battery icon displays 100%. The tablet will then apparently stop taking in power and discharge a bit, then continue charging to 100%. This process then repeats as long as the iPad is still plugged in. ”That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Apple vice president Michael Tchao told AllThingsD. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.” According to the report, Apple’s iPhone and iPod touch models utilize the same charging pattern."

I am not referring to the issue of the continuing to charge past 100%. I am talking about it not charging at all and decreasing in charge when it's plugged in and only using one app at a time on anywhere from 85 to 100% brightness. All you have to do is go to the Apple forums and read how many people are having these problems, or you can call up some of the stores and ask them directly. The senior advisor at Apple that I've been dealing with on the phone has even admitted to me they have had many returns for the battery issue and the engineers are trying to figure out what's going on. But what's going on is simple math. The iPad uses more power than the charger is able to deliver.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #221 of 276
Lol.

Just verified again. I've got some work to wrap up then I'll post a video.

Ok, just to clarify the parameters since I didn't make it clear before, you need to post a video long enough to show that it is continually charging, at least one to two hours in length. High quality need not apply, just enough to see that it is an iPad 3 and enough to see the plug icon.

As Apple admits, the battery will charge past the 100% point which is why the plug icon will show up when you power it up from a full charge, but within 13-35 minutes (it varies, oddly enough even if running the same tasks) the plug icon goes away, the charging icon comes on in its place, and then the battery declines. So showing a two or three minute video won't confirm anything at all. It has to be of substantial length. This is why I believe your video will confirm exactly what I am saying. The iPhone and iPad 2, on the other hand, will show the plug icon indefinitely because the units don't use more power than the charger is capable of outputting.

Make sure you show yourself setting the brightness at 100%, auto off. Wifi only is fine, although when plugged in it should obviously make no difference. I found the charging threshold to be somewhere around 65-70% brightness on my unit. Anything above that and it depletes. I don't do any processor-intensive tasks, unless one considers having iMessage as the only app open a processor-intensive task.

This is not just an issue with units purchased from my local store.
My first unit was a white 32GB AT&T model that was shipped from Apple.
The second and third units were/are black 32GB Verizon models from my local store.
Two models were made at one Foxconn facility, one was made at another.
The first unit had uneven color.
The last unit had a yellowing screen issue in one corner and poor off angle color hue.
This current unit has a perfect display.
People on Apple forums and two people I know personally that own the new iPads (one is WiFi 32GB white, one is Verizon 16GB black), one from here in Los Angeles, one from Oklahoma are having the same problems.

The advisor at Apple has encouraged me to troubleshoot, which is what I and others are trying to do. Any help anyone can offer is appreciated and please post your serial numbers or PM them to me. This way I can give them to Apple so they can research why your iPad is good or bad.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #222 of 276
Not true. I don't need to go to a forum to know because I have an iPad that I tested (read my post above). Also, CR reached the same conclusion.

I posted published survey results that show that you are in a very small minority of people. Also, CR says that the issue only affects hardcore gamers (mainly infinity blade ii) and for those people, they can turn down the brightness if it is an issue. If your iPad is not performing the same way as mine, the posters above, or the same as Consumers Reports iPad, you should return it. In addition to my video test, I run the nightstand app all night and the iPad is always at 100 percent charge when I get up no matter how little charge is on the iPad when I go to bed. Your math is wrong.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #223 of 276

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect what the specification sheet says it's capable of doing.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #224 of 276
The power really does steadily drop if you max the brightness then use the iPad to run whatever.  Only way to get it to charge while using it is to not max the brightness.  And even then it will charge much more slowly than if its screen is locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back