iPad 2 first impressions. Will you be getting one ?
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #197 of 249
india supplies all of apples nand chips?

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #199 of 249
dilpal: Haha I like how you used 2 arrows to refer to 2 posts before, instead of the one just before yours.
In Singapore, Bluetooth file sharing doesn't seem to be a priority. I can only speak of the 20- to 30-something crowd, but that demographic seems to either use the Cloud or load documents directly into local memory. Cloud computing gets pretty decent support here due to fairly widespread 3G and WiFi coverage.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #200 of 249

Quote:
yeah nand flash chip prices have been rising lately.... but i think it has to do more with whats happening with japan than Apple drying up the supply.  Toshiba....supplies about 1/3 of the nand flash chips of the world.... so i can see some longer than usual delays with the resupply.

Yes. With the Japan's recent disaster, Apple will have a huge delay in it's production since Japan is one of the world's biggest micro chips exporter. But, even before the disaster, it has been reported for years that the suppliers are always struggling to provide enough NAND chips to Apple's demand. Anymore demand may bring some undesirable outcome for the entire NAND market. It's just my guess.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #201 of 249
I think lack of iPads is a part of marketing strategy. Apple creates hype intentionally to keep product status / pricing / brand value higher. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #202 of 249
I see assumptions are being made again. :) Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions.

I can't wait till iPad2 comes out in Canada in 8 days. I'm Korean and we're big on aesthetics, and very careful with our stuff as to not get a scratch. Wondering which carrier to use for 3G, Bell, Rogers, or Telus?

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #203 of 249
I think lack of iPads is a part of marketing strategy. Apple creates hype intentionally to keep product status / pricing / brand value higher. 
Apple doesn't have to play that game. They can sell about as many as they can make - and they know it.

The problem is that Apple had to slow down and stop production of the iPad1 while still producing enough to meet demand until the iPad2 was released. So they probably weren't able to make as many iPad2s as they knew they could sell. Switching over a production line is a big undertaking.

Also, consider that they just sold about a million of these. Do you know how much effort it takes to put together a million complex items, not to mention the distribution and logistics? That's a major undertaking.

Supply (assuming no parts shortages from Japan) should ramp up. Apple also made some large strategic investments recently. No one knows what they are, but my guess is that they're investing heavily to meet demand.

If you go back ten years, you'll find a bunch of "Apple is dying" stories. It's nice to see a company that was on the brink now struggling to meet demand.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #204 of 249
I will consider an iPad 2 when Apple comes out with the iPad 3 and are blowing the 2's out.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #205 of 249
This concept of intentional delays always come up in a situation like this, but, in the business point of view, it's a bad idea because of the risk of getting a bad company image, and, most importantly, it's not worth it as opposed to actually selling the product collecting the net profit. Board members want to see big sales numbers, not half-sold sales numbers for the mere sake of "hype" creation, which doesn't necessarily bring new customers. It only generates bad rep.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #206 of 249
I am monitoring Apple since 1987, when I was school-leaver. They set a brilliant example of usability, which guided me through high-school education and my following works in usability areas as a programmer / project manager. I also considering Apple for years as model for excellent marketing / business strategies / vision, when I rule my electronic retail business. And they are still unbeatable in these areas.

It is kind of assumption / projection, but I do believe they are gods in some other areas also, including the production at least, which is just a part of marketing complex to me (they are marketing gods, remember?). So I do believe their products deficit is either intentional or not harmful to their revenues in long term.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #207 of 249
This does not work for luxury or fashion markets. Apple strategy / vision includes some ideas from these markets, so intentional delays may be profitable for them, both in profit and rep. Sure, they give up some current earnings, but they may repay current loss in middle or long term perspectives.

Quote:
This concept of intentional delays always come up in a situation like this, but, in the business point of view, it's a bad idea because of the risk of getting a bad company image, and, most importantly, it's not worth it as opposed to actually selling the product collecting the net profit. Board members want to see big sales numbers, not half-sold sales numbers for the mere sake of "hype" creation, which doesn't necessarily bring new customers. It only generates bad rep.

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #208 of 249
You also have to consider diminishing  returns on larger output. Scheduling large scales of product is easy to do, but the more ipads you can produce at once the less return you will get. For example if you have the means to make a million ipads a day, then you will be under utilized later on. Its much better strategy to have a constant demand then spikes with a new product. Spikes such as new product when its first released, special sales, or holidays. Plus does anybody know if any of the ipad2 parts come from Japan? The whole tsunami thing would hinder their ability to make them quickly.

I have a newer Macbook Pro and love it, I like the idea of having an ipad but will hold of for now. A larger screen resolution is a huge selling point for me. Where is the ipad 3?

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #209 of 249

Quote:
^ i was replying to eric_c. Currently typing from mobile phone so can not quote.

Ironic...if you were typing on an iPhone (or iPad) you'd be able to use 'quote' just fine. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #210 of 249
Perhaps I should be starting a new thread for this, since a search brought no help, but I'll try here first.

I just got my new iPad 2, and, having not had any kind of tablet before, I'm extremely happy with it.  My main reason for getting it was to use the Remote App to control the iTunes library on a Mac Mini, which is connected to my headphone rig.  So far, this is working fine.

I'm interested in using a lyric viewing app to see the lyrics of the song that's playing; I've looked at different ones, but what I want is something that will display lyrics on the iPad for the song that's playing on the Mac Mini--is this even possible, or am I asking too much?  Is anybody doing this already?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back