iPad 2 first impressions. Will you be getting one ?
Mar 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #181 of 249

Quote:
I got to have a good long play with the new iPad today!

It certainly is smaller! However I am glad I got the 1st gen one in January. For me it feels too small and I just do not like the case arrangement. Sure, it looks great and the idea behind it I understand.But for me, for everyday practical use it would soon annoy me.

For a start, no back protection. I know a lot of folks don't care about scratches but I do, you would think they would include a clear case back film to protect it! I also have not use for a camera on the back, I mean, come on. Who,on a regular basis is going to hold this thing up to take pictures, if you do then great, if not, well it is all but useless. Face time is something I have no need for either and I am not a huge gamer so the faster processor is moot to me as well.

I remember when my friends got the first gen one last year, I was so excited to see it, this time it just left me cold. Because of the camera there will be little option other than the flappy screen protector which they seem to have made from the same stupid material they made the original case from which attracts dust and finger prints all the time, the one I got to try had a powder blue case, absolute crazy, my friend picked it up on launch day and the case is already filthy!

Overall, not impressed, I would say that if you own the first gen one, are not a gamer and have no use for a camera then stick with it. If I did not own the first gen one I would still get it over the second gen one especially as they are discounting it.

I use my iPad as a work tool. I use the excellent glass keypad all the time and can bang out thousand word assignments with ease. I have Yoobao case that is slim but at the same time protects the ipad wonderfully and also gives me the perfect angle to write. The new iPad feels more like a fashionista accessory to me, sometimes small or thinner is not such a good thing, for those who just want to use it to surf the net then I guess it would be a fun thing though.

As a work tool that is an alternative to carrying around a bulky lap top though the new one feels less practical. If they had left the back camera out and instead put 128g of memory  and kept it at the size of the first gen I would have been a lot more enthusiastic. As it is it looks like they thought of the lifestyle people who they use for advertising as their audience rather than folks like me use it as a work tool!

Just my thoughts, if you like it and are happy, what they hey, good for you!

as with all apple products its fashion over function. people care more about looks over function so apple makes a killing with ipods, iphones. and ipads. i personally don't like the look of apple products and i prefer a bit of color. lets just say i am very anti apple though i have to admit they have good customer support. i would buy a macbook and install linux or windows 7 on it and forget about osx as i find it usesless. right now the only purpose in buying an ipad is its very well priced as far as tablets are concerned but i don't really consider it a tablet computer. something running a full os with full capabilities is a tablet not something running a phone os. an ipad is a giant iphone without teh phone. imo. personally i will avoid this whole tablet business as i prefer a real keyboard and a bigger screen. i will stick with my toshiba satellite laptop for now and i will use my netbook for portable computing. as even the most biggest techies i have spoken to agree that a netbook is more functional. speaking of which my netbook has 2gb ram while the ipad has 512mb. and my netbook is running windows 7 ultimate edition and i run xp as a virtual pc on it. trying doing that with an ipad.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #182 of 249

Quote:
^ ok, it means someone who do not own or want to own ipad, should not even talk about it. Brilliant. I always like UI of apple products. But it seems that we are not allowed to talk constructivly about any product

The point is, bringing up Flash and replaceable batteries in regards to Apple gear is nothing more than
deadhorse.gif

No offense intended, of course.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #183 of 249

Quote:
The point is, bringing up Flash and replaceable batteries in regards to Apple gear is nothing more than
deadhorse.gif

No offense intended, of course.
smile_phones.gif

well...seeing as the thread is asking the question...."will you be getting one?"  people are saying they aren't and why not.... 99% of the world who use the internet...also use flash sites.  if apple osx supports flash..... why can't get they make ios support flash?  if they had flash im sure they would get a lot more followers for their ipad line.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #184 of 249

Quote:
Flash is a battery hog and is mostly used to serve irritating animated ads. Not having it is a good thing.

When you're on 3G, you have to pay for bandwidth. Having Flash would increase the cost of use for ads I don't want to see anyway.

Even if Flash was available, I'd turn it off. I suppress Flash on my laptop and desktop, too. That cuts back on the crap and it's a rare day when I enable Flash to see a website.

How do you plan to cut and turn off HTML 5?
Good luck removing the <video> tag.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #185 of 249
No you were saying Apple 'should' do things based off your personal preference, not that you wouldn't buy one because these features were missing. Sales figures make it clear that people either don't care about SD card slots, Flash or replaceable batteries, or they're happy to compromise and part with their cash anyway.

I really don't get the battery life thing btw:
Their stuff has excellent battery life
It enables them to create unibody designs with few seams/screws, aesthetics are important to people
If you have an iPod/Pad/Phone that has a hardware fault, you just go to an Apple store and 5 mins later walk out with a replacement (with the one you handed it no doubt getting sent off to be repaired, reset/restored and sold again as a Refurb)
Like any successful consumer electronics company, they encourage you to upgrade rather than cling onto a legacy device, so by the time your battery won't hold it's charge, you'll have had your eyes on a newer model. This applies more to the iOS devices than Mac OS X devices.

Also:
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/53060/

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #186 of 249
If I ever buy a tablet, it would be iPad with no doubts. I had two iPhones, and broke a screens on both. So I refused iPhones and got Android (LG Optimus One). The device is nice itself, but OS/software usability is terrible comparing to iOS. I wish Apple would produce more rigid iPhone sometime.

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #187 of 249
well...seeing as the thread is asking the question...."will you be getting one?"  people are saying they aren't and why not.... 99% of the world who use the internet...also use flash sites.  if apple osx supports flash..... why can't get they make ios support flash?  if they had flash im sure they would get a lot more followers for their ipad line.

LOL...as it was announced that they were sold out in all of the USA (700,000-1,000,000 in 5 days), I don't think they are having trouble finding followers.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #189 of 249

Quote:
Quote:

LOL...as it was announced that they were sold out in all of the USA (700,000-1,000,000 in 5 days), I don't think they are having trouble finding followers.

lol.... maybe you should see my comment and see that it says..."if they had flash im sure they would get a lot MORE followers for their ipad line."  didn't say they didn't have a lot already.... its called reading comprehension skills my friend

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #190 of 249
After viewing iFixit's teardown of the iPad 2, I felt very uncomfortable buying a product held in place with that much glue and a screen protected by thinner glass:

As a result, I'm now the happy owner of a discounted (but not refurbished--out of stock where I live) 32GB WiFi iPad 1.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #191 of 249

Quote:
lol.... maybe you should see my comment and see that it says..."if they had flash im sure they would get a lot MORE followers for their ipad line."  didn't say they didn't have a lot already.... its called reading comprehension skills my friend

I just don't know what would happen if they had any "more" followers. They're already drying up global supply of NAND flash chips and can't never meet initial demands and take about one to two month to "catch up" to the demand. I'd say they don't need more followers and, IMHO, shouldn't need more followers.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #192 of 249

Quote:

I just don't know what would happen if they had any "more" followers. They're already drying up global supply of NAND flash chips and can't never meet initial demands and take about one to two month to "catch up" to the demand. I'd say they don't need more followers and, IMHO, shouldn't need more followers.

yeah nand flash chip prices have been rising lately.... but i think it has to do more with whats happening with japan than Apple drying up the supply.  Toshiba....supplies about 1/3 of the nand flash chips of the world.... so i can see some longer than usual delays with the resupply.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #193 of 249
^ I think you are talking about US in particular. While here in Asia where microsd cards, bluetooth file sharing, flash are considered important, apple has very little market.

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #195 of 249
^ im not completely sure.... but I think Apple outsources their nand chips from asia. 

As the post before me said that apple is drying up global supply of nand flash.... I really doubt they are drying the market out.  I'm sure the global supply of nand chips can more than supply apple.

I was trying to say, the delays in stock of the ipad might be longer due to whats happening to Japan at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back