ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Nov 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #257 of 532
Confirmed working:

IP5S-->CCK-->JDS Labs C5D.

No hub needed with the C5D since it has a "BAT. / CHG." switch which will galvanically isolate the power rails when in BAT position, thus preventing any significant power being drawn through the CCK.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #258 of 532
I have just ordered the Apple Lightning CCK.   My plan is as follows:

- iPod Touch 64GB (current version, using iOS 7+)
- Lightning CCK
- DAC - TBD
- Alo Continental V3

My understanding, based on reading this thread, is that I can use pretty much any portable DAC I want with this combo, correct?

Anything I am missing?

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #259 of 532
confirmed working in car
Iphone 5 IOS 7 to "CCK"  to   "6 in usb a to b cable"  to "Herus dac" to "1/4 in to 1/8 in audio cable" aux in on Kenwood Excelon head unit.
No hub needed.
Using Cury app to stream 96/24 and 192/24 files.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #260 of 532
I have just ordered the Apple Lightning CCK.   My plan is as follows:

- iPod Touch 64GB (current version, using iOS 7+)
- Lightning CCK
- DAC - TBD
- Alo Continental V3

My understanding, based on reading this thread, is that I can use pretty much any portable DAC I want with this combo, correct?

Anything I am missing?

You may need a powered hub between the CCK and the dac to avoid the low power glitch, I do with my Aune T1 but not with the Fiio E7 so long as the USB charge is turned off.

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #261 of 532
You may need a powered hub between the CCK and the dac to avoid the low power glitch, I do with my Aune T1 but not with the Fiio E7 so long as the USB charge is turned off.

Thanks - i am hoping to avoid that, as it will make the stack really unwieldy.

Since my earlier post, I found a good deal on a CLAS -R @ Moon Audio and have ordered it.   So I am hoping that between its MFI status and iOS 7, I wont have to do a lot of futzing around with hubs, etc.

A little side rant - with so many external DACs and amps around, you think someone would make a high-quality portable digital transport that merely puts out a good, clean digital out, and which focuses on providing a superior user interface for playback.   I have an AK100, a DX50 and a X3, and all of them have some limitation or the other.   It is quite ironic that I have to spent $400+ on an iDevice just for its user interface.

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #262 of 532
Btw, another question - has anyone tried an RSA Predator with an iDevice running iOS 7 and a CCK?

TIA!

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #263 of 532
quick question:

Is it confirmed that any desktop dac (ac powered and using Apple lightning to usb cable) will work with ios 7 device and a powered hub?  At least for desktop use that would open up the use for an idevice to a lot of dacs.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #264 of 532
quick question:

Is it confirmed that any desktop dac (ac powered and using Apple lightning to usb cable) will work with ios 7 device and a powered hub?  At least for desktop use that would open up the use for an idevice to a lot of dacs.

Any is an awful lot, I doubt that they have all been tested. Still, I haven't heard of any that won't work at all. There is a report of incompatibility with the HRT Microstreamer at 96kHz but no problem with it at 44.1 or 48.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #265 of 532
I was about to say the same thing.  DAC compatibility with the iPhone/iPod under iOS 7 seems to be the norm, at least if you count using a powered hub as "compatible".  

Also, I haven't yet tried to reflash my HRT microStreamer to see if I can get 96kHz working.  I'm thinking it is not that critical right now, as I am waiting for the OS to support hi-rez natively.  Managing a separate place for hi-rez audio on an iDevice is kind of a pain, and I would love a simple drag-and-drop from iTunes to get my 24/96 files working.  I suspect Apple is waiting until the "right time" for them to do a push into hi-rez audio, and then we will get that capability (but perhaps not on older devices).  

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #266 of 532
Hi everyone! Im new here and have only been into this audiophile stuff for a year or so. I tested the following configuration at the apple store today:  
iphone 5S (iOS7) > lightning CCK > passive usb/mini usb cable > RSA predator mini usb input
...and got the dreaded too much power draw message :frowning2:

I see theres a lot of discussion about a powered usb hub (cable?) that may be able get this configuration working but i don't really understand what a powered usb hub is...is it one of those large power-strip-looking usb ports that you put on the desk? I'm trying to make a portable set up using the RSA predator's dac section if possible since i find the SQ from my current setup:
iphone 5S > lightning to female 30-pin > Fiio L3 LOD > RSA predator analog input
...to be HORRID. I'm playing alac (from 16/44.1) files and the distortion is so bad I don't need an A/B to confirm. Any help or suggestions for how I can potentially make this work is greatly appreciated :)  I'm also trying to avoid buying a new portable dac since grad school is expensive :p

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #267 of 532
  Hi everyone! Im new here and have only been into this audiophile stuff for a year or so. I tested the following configuration at the apple store today:  
iphone 5S (iOS7) > lightning CCK > passive usb/mini usb cable > RSA predator mini usb input
...and got the dreaded too much power draw message :frowning2:

I see theres a lot of discussion about a powered usb hub (cable?) that may be able get this configuration working but i don't really understand what a powered usb hub is...is it one of those large power-strip-looking usb ports that you put on the desk? I'm trying to make a portable set up using the RSA predator's dac section if possible since i find the SQ from my current setup:
iphone 5S > lightning to female 30-pin > Fiio L3 LOD > RSA predator analog input
...to be HORRID. I'm playing alac (from 16/44.1) files and the distortion is so bad I don't need an A/B to confirm. Any help or suggestions for how I can potentially make this work is greatly appreciated :)  I'm also trying to avoid buying a new portable dac since grad school is expensive :p

Here is one example of a powered usb hub.  This one is very small, others can come in different shapes.

As for the second configuration you comment on , if you are using the Apple lightning to 30 pin connector you are hearing the sound of the cheap dac that is inside the cable.  You need to adjust the volume of the ipod to ensure you are not overloading the input of the RSA so you may want to back off of 100% a bit.  If that does not cure the severe distortion I have no idea what is going on.  The dac in that little cable is supposedly not horrible, but I doubt it is as good as the dac in the ipod or iphone.  So for the second config, a simple mini p[hone stereo cable form the hp out of the iphone to the analog input of the amp will sound best.

Or for $20 buy the powered usb hub on Amazon and give config 1 a go and see how it sounds.  It should work.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #268 of 532
^thnx for the suggestions!  That's a nifty usb hub and seems like it will def work. Unfortunately even tho its a small unit I think it's more than I want to be carrying around when I'm not using a laptop. I tried lowering the iphone's volume but realized the line out feature bypasses the iphone's volume control anyway :/  I will try to find a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to test the headphone out to amp, but i dont have high hopes. I'm using DT880 250ohm and the lightning-out cable to RSA sounds marginally better than using the headphone jack directly. For comparison, both of the following setups sounded significantly better (as in, closer to foobar to usb out):

ipod touch 2nd gen (better than 4S) --> fiio L3 --> RSA predator
iphone 4S --> fiio L3 --> RSA predator

pretty annoyed at myself right now for "upgrading" to the 5S primarily for the 64gb storage :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back