ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Sep 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #76 of 532
While all of these combos sound pretty impressive, the kludge of cabling with the small USB hub needs some work. Time to build myself a custom cable to clean things up. Or I'll continue to use my Apple certified Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB DAC in a bundle with my iPhone and RSA Intruder. Overall a heavier setup to carry around but it powers my HD800 headphones and is cleaner than the cable kludge of this workaround.

I totally agree.  The cabling with any CCK or Lightning-to-USB is not portable-friendly.  The best I've been able to do is a 30-pin iPhone 4 (or presumably 4s) with CCK (which is a plastic brick with no cable) to a short USB A to mini USB and then to the microStreamer which has headphone out.  Despite what has been said by HRT directly, the microStreamer does put out clean audio at CD-quality rates, and the solution is definitely portable -- in fact, in terms of overall 3D volume, I don't know of a solution that is smaller.  The 30-pin CCK lengthens the iPhone some, though, and there is that silly USB cable.  If I find a short flexible 4-inch USB cable, though, velcro the microStreamer to the back of the iPhone, and put it in a longish case, it would definitely work for me as a pocketable solution, especially given its thinness.  

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #77 of 532
Unfortunately it does require the CCK/Lightning to USB adapter. I've tried the 2 Lightning to miniUSB cables that I have for my Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB but neither of them worked. The CCK/Lightning to USB adapter actually implements the rest of the USB host interface required by non-Apple certified DACs - remember that the CCK was originally designed to allow direct connection via USB with digital cameras. The iDevices never had a full USB host interface on either the 30 pin or Lightning connectors.

I don't suppose it would be possible for a custom cable job to be able to perform that task while being shorter and easier to work into a small portable rig? I  figure it's a crapshoot but it'd be worth investigating, that could potentially open up new doors for compact, clean-looking portable rigs

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #79 of 532
What is the purpose of using a passive USB hub between the iDevice and the DAC? I thought it was because the iDevice draws too much power through USB for some DACs, but wouldn't that require a powered hub to fix?

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #80 of 532
Some hubs seem to alter the current draw of the DAC, or otherwise seem to "hide" the requested power from the iDevice through the CCK or Lightning-to-USB adapter.  Otherwise, you will get a message that "the connected USB device draws too much power."  I don't know how to measure what is happening or know the exact details.   But I've got a passive hub that works with an E17.  

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #82 of 532
My DAC's manual says the following:

Warning: Connect this DAC via an USB HUB, or via USB interface on the front panel of a desktop computer, might seriously degrade the sound quality, due to more interference!

It's a Chinese DAC so the English isn't great, but do USB hubs really have interference? I kind of get the part about the front panel connection, as analogue connections like headphone and microphone jacks pick up a lot of noise from the components inside the case on their way to the front panel. Didn't know digital data like USB could be affected though.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #83 of 532
If the only thing connected to the hub is the DAC, and the host is an iPhone or iPad, I would doubt a hub introduces interference.  I think the warning has more to do with multiple peripherals (mice, portable hard drives and the like) in a PC environment.  

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #84 of 532
It works with my iPhone 4S! I was searching for some type of digital out for the iPhone. Now problem solved! Although I have been playing this from the iPad 3, the iPhone is more convenient (and has more of my music on it). Now so long as Apple doesn't mess this up!

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #85 of 532
So... do I still need to buy the Centrance HiFiM8 (iPhone version) or can I now instead buy the "generic" version (USB + ToshLink) M8-LX ??

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #86 of 532
  So... do I still need to buy the Centrance HiFiM8 (iPhone version) or can I now instead buy the "generic" version (USB + ToshLink) M8-LX ??

Sounds like you could just get the USB version :)

Although if the cost difference isn't big for you, think about getting the iPhone version just in case Apple decides to drop the feature.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #87 of 532
Hi guys i just want to understand one thing. I have an Iphone 4 with iOS7 and I am looking for the microstreamer and the Audioquest Dragonfly. Do they work just with the CCK without a powered hub?

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #88 of 532
Hi guys i just want to understand one thing. I have an Iphone 4 with iOS7 and I am looking for the microstreamer and the Audioquest Dragonfly. Do they work just with the CCK without a powered hub?

Thanks.

Frankly I don't know. Prior to iOS 7 I ran a Fiio E7 with my iPad 3 through the CCK without a powered hub, all I had to do was to turn off the USB charge function and run this with the inboard battery and it worked fine. If you had the USB charge enabled, however, you got the "low power" reading. I assume it would bethe same with the iPhone. So long as the. Dragonfly etc has a non USB charge function, I would assume that it wouldn't need a powered hub. However this stuff is confusing. I now mainly use an Aune T1 hybrid dac/amp, which is a plug in desktop unit with a tube dac. The Aune thread gurus assure me that the dac doesn't draw power from the USB. Nevertheless you get the "low power" reading on the iOS equipment unless you use a powered hub. No problem for me, because my station is a desktop one but you would want to try out the dac of your choice to make sure it works.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #89 of 532
I've tried a CEntrance HiFi-M8 XL today on IPad mini IOS 6.1.2 with the Lightning CCK, and Android phone with an OTG to USB adaptor, using a random USB A - USB B cable, both are not working. The IPad mini shows not supported and Android shows nothing. I played music with the original audio player from the system. Before I've tried the same set-up with Apex Glacier and it worked flawlessly. I am not sure but those who wants to use XL version with idevice and android system please check again.

So Audioquest Butterfly checked O.K. with IOS7 and CCK right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back