ios7, iPhone and Apple CCK
Dec 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #301 of 532
  Hello,
this is my first post...I've been following this thread by some days and it's very useful for me because I've just bought a Fiio E17 to use with my Laptop and iPhone.
The following picture shows my configuration with iPhone 5 iOs 7.0.3 ( iPhone --------> lightning to camera -------> E17 -------> Headphone)  :

When I play the music in my iPhone, the sounds come out from the speakers of the phone and not in the headphones.
Where did I make a mistake in my configuration?

Try inserting a USB hub (powered or passive0 between the CCK and DAC.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #303 of 532
Apeks Glacier works with an iPod Touch (current gen) using a Lightning CCK.  FYI.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #304 of 532
Confirmed that my iPhone 4, 4s, 5s and iPad Air works directly with iFi iDSD nano with the CCK, no USB hub is needed.  Can play DSD all the way up to 5.6M and PCM at 384kHz, just as they said on the website. BTW, the sound from the Apple devices is unbelievably good ... 
bigsmile_face.gif

http://ifi-audio.com/en/nano_iDSD.html 

(photos from their website)

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #305 of 532
  Yes,I will try it but I knew that iPhone shows the "too much power..." warning if this was the matter so I think that my iPhone doesn't recognize the E17. If I'm right why this happens?

I replied to your PM but the answer given is correct - the E17 requires a passive USB hub at the minimum, inbetween the CCK and the E17.

Dale

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #306 of 532
I replied to your PM but the answer given is correct - the E17 requires a passive USB hub at the minimum, inbetween the CCK and the E17.

Dale

Assuming that the E17 is similar to the E7 in function, as long as the USB charge function is turned off, the "low power" problem shouldn't occur.

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #308 of 532
  The "low power" problem doesn't occur but my iPhone 5 don't recognize my E17 at all.
Should I try with a powered hub usb or an unpowered hub usb?

I know this sounds like a stupid suggestion but have you tried restarting your phone? I only ask b/c when i got my new 5s, the lightning-out wouldn't even recognize the lightning-to-30pin dac cable for a line out into an amp. The result was the same as yours where the sound would only come from the phone and there was no indication that anything had been plugged in. I called apple support and even a higher-up manager came to the conclusion that it was probably defective and told me to switch it for a new one...i randomly restarted it later that night and the line-out started working fine lol

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #309 of 532

Dale

Assuming that the E17 is similar to the E7 in function, as long as the USB charge function is turned off, the "low power" problem shouldn't occur.

Alas the E17 is not the same as the E7 - the E17 absolutely requires the hub, albeit passive (not powered). It won't hurt to go with a powered hub, maybe even a battery powered unit, but it's not required.

The hub I use is one you can buy on Amazon for less than $15:

http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US/products/6499-hi-speed-usb-micro-hub

Personally I'd shop around at local stores - I picked up the one I used for $5 at a local computer supply shop.

Hope that helps.

Dale

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #310 of 532
I'll just provide my experience from visiting the Headphone Bar in Vancouver:
iDevice (on iOS7) to DAC/Amp through CCK: JDS Labs C5D, Resonessence Labs HERUS, ALO International and Schiit BiFrost all work.  
iDevice (on iOS7) to DAC/Amp through CCK and non powered hub: ALO Pan Am
No success at all: Resonessence Labs Concero HP (much to my chagrin).

I bought the Pan Am, and am happy with that (plus a Passport) as a transportable setup.  My basic lesson learned was that if it doesn't have a power source (i.e. a battery or wall wort) an iDevice isn't going to work well (with the one wondrous exception being the Herus).

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #311 of 532
  I'll just provide my experience from visiting the Headphone Bar in Vancouver:
iDevice (on iOS7) to DAC/Amp through CCK: JDS Labs C5D, Resonessence Labs HERUS, ALO International and Schiit BiFrost all work.  
iDevice (on iOS7) to DAC/Amp through CCK and non powered hub: ALO Pan Am
No success at all: Resonessence Labs Concero HP (much to my chagrin).

I bought the Pan Am, and am happy with that (plus a Passport) as a transportable setup.  My basic lesson learned was that if it doesn't have a power source (i.e. a battery or wall wort) an iDevice isn't going to work well (with the one wondrous exception being the Herus).

The reason why the Concero HP didn't work at all is that it's a USB audio class 2 device, whereas all the others are USB audio class 1. A special class 2 supporting app would need to be created for iOS before you can use USB audio class 2 devices.

Dale

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #313 of 532
http://resonessencelabs.com/herus/
HERUS: Asynchronous USB Audio 2.0, 24bit 352.8Ks/S, DXD and DSD64/128, 2.4VRMS Headphone DAC

http://resonessencelabs.com/concero/
Similarly to all the CONCERO family, the CONCERO HP enumerates on the PC as a USB Audio 2.0 device (by use of our freely provided Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 driver), and natively on the Mac.

Could there be something else other than USB Audio version since both products should have 2.0?

HERUS had a generic Cypress USB interface chip but a different one could be found in Concero HP.

I sent them an e-mail a few weeks ago regarding Concero HP's compatibility with iOS 7 but never got a reply.

The Cypress USB interface supports both USB audio class 1 and 2. That's why the Herus works with class 1 devices. Why other manufacturers chose to implement just USB audio class 2, I don't know.

Dale

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #314 of 532
Just wanted to mention that I have been using my iphone 5s on 7.0.4 successfully with the CCK ---> USB A to Mini B adapter ---> FiiO E07k (Andes). Has worked like a charm, I was also getting a too much power error from my iphone but once i turned off the USB charge setting on the Andes all was good. Just my experience thus far.....
ksc75smile.gif
 Hope that helps someone who might be having issues. 

-Frank

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #315 of 532
Just to add, iPhone 4S with CCK working well via Onkyo HF Player to play through Resonessence Herus. I was waiting to post until I had played successfully all types 44.1/24 and 88.2/24 and 192/24 and DSD. I was skeptical but DSD sounds very clear, and 88.2/24 sounds great too. But it found just be the different albums. Anyway having DSD on the road is pretty darn cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back