Introduction and Request of Assistance
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #107 of 121
Ah, yeah, it kinda is. 
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=sorry+wallet

Just something we say 'round these parts... for good reason. 
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #108 of 121
  All right. So, I'm done.  For now anyway. :)

Since you have all been through most of my little journey the last few weeks - I figure I'd give you a visual of what it looked like (coming mostly through my Amazon orders view).

I'm so proud of you, m'boy!
tongue.gif

Nice visual story of your journey. Now that you've made the jump into high-end, let's just hope you don't get really crazy like me and become an aspiring audio megalomaniac.

Check out this quote from a PM I received regarding the potential of certain portable setups.

the K812 + DX90 sounds noticeably superior to my prior LCD-2/HE-500 rig, which was Lyr/Bifrost and then the Concero/Emotiva. It sounds more detailed, neutral, better extended etc, etc. Just more enjoyable/accurate.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #109 of 121

I'm so proud of you, m'boy!
tongue.gif

Nice visual story of your journey. Now that you've made the jump into high-end, let's just hope you don't get really crazy like me and become an aspiring audio megalomaniac.

Thanks!  You and the others on this thread were a lot of help.

I'll try not to go too crazy - but once you get that itch...

That being said, there is a lot of music I want to listen to - so I'm going to start collecting CD's now.  Was thinking of getting a record player... It would be nice if there was a thread about what music people like to listen to, I imagine there must be.

Thanks again, and I hope we continue to talk.  I've read your wish list - wow! Good luck with that.  You'll probably need to take over the world, I'm thinking...

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #110 of 121
  Thanks!  You and the others on this thread were a lot of help.

I'll try not to go too crazy - but once you get that itch...

That being said, there is a lot of music I want to listen to - so I'm going to start collecting CD's now.  Was thinking of getting a record player... It would be nice if there was a thread about what music people like to listen to, I imagine there must be.

Thanks again, and I hope we continue to talk.  I've read your wish list - wow! Good luck with that.  You'll probably need to take over the world, I'm thinking...

I collected nearly 2,000 CDs (many of them rare), but wish I had gotten into head-fi back then.

There are many threads about various styles of music - just look around the members' lounge. I list lots of genres I like on my profile and am posting a super-thread soon that everyone will be sure to appreciate.

A crazed music alchemist, bent on audio domination - I like the sound of that! =D

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #112 of 121
Now that you have 2000 CDs when are you going to sit down and rip every last one to FLAC?  If you start now you might be finished before the second coming!  I have a few hundred but they are still in storage at my parent's house. If I ever get a job closer to home I'll spend some time ripping them all.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #113 of 121
  Now that you have 2000 CDs when are you going to sit down and rip every last one to FLAC?  If you start now you might be finished before the second coming!  I have a few hundred but they are still in storage at my parent's house. If I ever get a job closer to home I'll spend some time ripping them all.

I ripped them all to lossless long ago.
wink_face.gif

I highly recommend dBpoweramp for ripping CDs, converting files, and editing tags and album art. It makes everything so much easier.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #114 of 121
... so the saga continues.  I'm loving the sound of my LCD-XC's but I'm feeling like I want something a bit lighter and more mobile.  I'm leaning towards selling them or trading for a pair of Fostex TH900's.  There is a $400 dollar different in price (roughly) - do you think I should just sell my XC's for like $1500 or do a trade for a brand new pair of TH900's?  I wouldn't mind getting the TH900's and a mobile amp (I've been looking at the HiFi-M8).  What do you all think?

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #115 of 121
  ... so the saga continues.  I'm loving the sound of my LCD-XC's but I'm feeling like I want something a bit lighter and more mobile.  I'm leaning towards selling them or trading for a pair of Fostex TH900's.  There is a $400 dollar different in price (roughly) - do you think I should just sell my XC's for like $1500 or do a trade for a brand new pair of TH900's?  I wouldn't mind getting the TH900's and a mobile amp (I've been looking at the HiFi-M8).  What do you all think?

Now you're getting why I highly recommended the TH-900 to you!
biggrin.gif

I suggest spending some time with the TH-900 alongside the LCD-XC, if possible, to get a better feel for the differences between them.

A trade sounds fair, if you can find someone with a brand new TH-900 willing to trade it for a used LCD-XC.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #116 of 121

biggrin.gif

I suggest spending some time with the TH-900 alongside the LCD-XC, if possible, to get a better feel for the differences between them.

A trade sounds fair, if you can find someone with a brand new TH-900 willing to trade it for a used LCD-X.

I listened to them at the CanMania event and I literally said after 60 seconds, "If I could have only one pair of headphones, these would be them."  LOL -  but I just liked the kind of base I heard from the XC's and still do - it's pretty special.  However, that perfect sound isn't worth the size for me, and the TH-900's are pretty amazing in their own right.  And I'm also realizinig I'm not a technical listener - I'm not at HD800 guy.  I like that cinematic feel - which the TH-900's have.

I'll post the offer up and see what people say. 

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #117 of 121
I think you should look into a dedicated set of portable cans, or IEMs, for portable use. Portability and mobility has it's own set of size, weight, durability and interconnect requirements.  And trying to find one solution for both home and outdoor use will force you to make sacrifices both ways... i.e. it will never be a mobile as you'd like, and you won't be getting the exact sound experience you'd want at home.

Lol, why do you think so many of us have multiple cans and rigs? 
smile.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #118 of 121
  I just liked the kind of base I heard from the XC's and still do

biggrin.gif
You keep that up, and I might have to give you a custom title.

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #120 of 121

biggrin.gif

A trade sounds fair, if you can find someone with a brand new TH-900 willing to trade it for a used LCD-X.

I listened to them at the CanMania event and I literally said after 60 seconds, "If I could have only one pair of headphones, these would be them."  LOL -  but I just liked the kind of base I heard from the XC's and still do - it's pretty special.  However, that perfect sound isn't worth the size for me, and the TH-900's are pretty amazing in their own right.  And I'm also realizinig I'm not a technical listener - I'm not at HD800 guy.  I like that cinematic feel - which the TH-900's have.

I'll post the offer up and see what people say. 

Yep, that's why I mentioned they may sound more enjoyable to you.

The funny thing is that, despite how good the Audeze bass is, there is a (much) more expensive model (which I will not name here, because I talk about it way too much on this site) that totally outclass them - at least according to most who have done comparisons.

In case you weren't aware, the HD 800 scales better than most other headphones. You may be surprised how different it can sound on different systems. Neutrality and accuracy can be pleasurable to listen to under certain circumstances. The TH-900 is a colored headphone, essentially making things sound more rosy than they are. Both are essential members of any serious headphone collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back