Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Apr 13, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #661 of 867
How does the Continental V5 compare to the Fostex HP-V1? Anyone with experience with the two?

I have done a short comparison. I think HP-V1 is a bit warmer and also softer sounding. Cv5 render details much better, it is faster and in general, better technically. Both are pretty clean, not much hiss with IEM. Size-wise, HP-V1 is gigantic next to Cv5, so if you consider portability, Cv5 win hands down. :)

In short, if you are looking for a warm, soft and smooth sound, while don't mind the size, HP-V1 will be your choice.

Go for Cv5 if you are looking for a portable, with detailed sound while still keeping some warm touch of tube. Bonus: you can tube-rolling, so it is possible to tweak the sound to some degree. :)

Hope that helps.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #662 of 867
I have done a short comparison. I think HP-V1 is a bit warmer and also softer sounding. Cv5 render details much better, it is faster and in general, better technically. Both are pretty clean, not much hiss with IEM. Size-wise, HP-V1 is gigantic next to Cv5, so if you consider portability, Cv5 win hands down.
smily_headphones1.gif

In short, if you are looking for a warm, soft and smooth sound, while don't mind the size, HP-V1 will be your choice.

Go for Cv5 if you are looking for a portable, with detailed sound while still keeping some warm touch of tube. Bonus: you can tube-rolling, so it is possible to tweak the sound to some degree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that helps.

Very nice comparison!  I'm going to have to buy both now and try them out to see which one I like and which one pairs with my gear the best.  They both look like excellent companions to my iBasso DX200.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #663 of 867
Hi, where can I buy a leather case for CV5? Thanks.

May 25, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #665 of 867
Hey Guys,

We got more 6BF7 tubes in stock, these are great tubes for the Cv5. The 6BF7 gives a very thick overtly emphasized "tube" sound, rich thick and powerful. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #667 of 867
Recently got a cv5 to use with my mojo and curious as to how I should setup my mojo to do the line out. I currently have it in lineout mode (3v) but I'm concerned that it might be too much for the cv5 handle, should I lower the output? TYIA :beerchug:

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #668 of 867
Recently got a cv5 to use with my mojo and curious as to how I should setup my mojo to do the line out. I currently have it in lineout mode (3v) but I'm concerned that it might be too much for the cv5 handle, should I lower the output? TYIA :beerchug:

I'd try lowering the output to ~1.9 to 2.1v as opposed to 3v. That'd be a little hot on high gain, I think.

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is one heck of a portable amp! Got the Cv5 paired with a Schiit Moby in a secondary system, and I'm impressed by the sound quality on tap. Using the 6BF7 tube, this rig drives both the HD 600 and TH-X00 PH rather nicely.

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #669 of 867
I'd try lowering the output to ~1.9 to 2.1v as opposed to 3v. That'd be a little hot on high gain, I think.

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is one heck of a portable amp! Got the Cv5 paired with a Schiit Moby in a secondary system, and I'm impressed by the sound quality on tap. Using the 6BF7 tube, this rig drives both the HD 600 and TH-X00 PH rather nicely.

Welcome to ALO CV5 club.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #671 of 867
Does your Cv5 pop when you turn it on or off? Mine does and I read that the power on warmup should eliminate the pops.

The power on warmup should be silent, I don't hear any pop. The power off have pop though. That said, I think it is generally good idea to not connect the headphone to any amp during the power on/off cycle.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #672 of 867
Does your Cv5 pop when you turn it on or off? Mine does and I read that the power on warmup should eliminate the pops.
No, I don't hear any popping on mine when I turn it on. Maybe a slight popping sound when I turn it off though, but its not something loud or anything along those lines. I sorta got used to it after a while.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #673 of 867
Thanks for the replies! The pop on starting the unit isn't loud, just a bit bothered since it's not supposed to be there.

I messaged ALO about it. If anyone else is experiencing this I'll post their reply here.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #674 of 867
Loving my cv5 right now, but strangely enough the mojo actually runs hotter than the CV5! Curious about the other tubes, I heard you could use some of the CDM tubes for the CV5, is there a list anywhere for those compatible tubes? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back