Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Mar 25, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #92 of 867
http://www.head-fi.org/t/802291/introducing-the-new-continental-v5-portable-tube-amp/15#post_12438245

Thanks. So given the huge price difference between the CDM and v5 and the fact that the v5 is more powerful and better sounding (amp portion), there would not be much incentive to get the CDM now.

I just got a CDM recently so I'm pretty sad haha.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #93 of 867
If we talk only of numbers, the Lotoo Gold with 500mw to 32ohm its more powerful than the Cv5 . This is correct?

Perhaps on paper, yes, but specs can be deceiving and I think there are other factors we won't know until the CV5 is released.

However, its not really fair to compare them. The Lotoo is a DAP and doesn't have to power a dual triode tube like the CV5.

I've read a couple of posts saying the CV5 was able to power the HE1000s very well. That's good enough for me.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #94 of 867
Thanks. So given the huge price difference between the CDM and v5 and the fact that the v5 is more powerful and better sounding (amp portion), there would not be much incentive to get the CDM now.

I wouldn't be if i were you, they're very different beasts :)

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #96 of 867
  Perhaps on paper, yes, but specs can be deceiving and I think there are other factors we won't know until the CV5 is released.

However, its not really fair to compare them. The Lotoo is a DAP and doesn't have to power a dual triode tube like the CV5.

I've read a couple of posts saying the CV5 was able to power the HE1000s very well. That's good enough for me.

gr8soundz makes some good points above.

Also - there is power and there is gain.   You can have all the power in the world, but if the amp does have enough gain, you won't be
able to get it to play loud enough.  And there is also power on paper (using standard resistive load testing) vs. power into a more
complex load such as a headphone/IEM, where the load is an impedance (has a varying resistance, capacitance and inductance vs. frequency).

And let's not forgot we are measuring RMS power , no peak power (dynamic / transient response).

And also remember that having twice the amplifier power does not give you 2x the loudness (SPL).  It is only allows for a 3dB max increase in loudness before clipping, as SPL is logarithmic measure.

My point is that we do a power spec into a resistive load, and this gives you an idea of output power (is it 100mW, is it 1000mW?) and output impedance (can it drive low impedance transducers?) - but that does not tell the whole story. 

Hi DanKhoo,

Yes, the price difference is huge and CV5 has more power.  As for sound - they are a little different and I would not be surprised if we took a sample of listeners who are comparing CDM to CV5 (matched output level), some are going to prefer CDM and some are going to prefer CV5.  And this will also depend on their tastes in sound, the source they are using, the headphones they are using, etc.

One is not clearly better.  CDM is a larger portable 'beast' that has USB input to wolfson dac, SE and BAL inputs/outputs, and dual mono tubestage.  It is closer sounding to the ALO Studio Six reference desktop tube headphone amp.  CV5 takes the CDM sound and moves it a little closer to the Rx sound (and smaller size and smaller feature set).  

Does Cv5 pick up phone signals like the CDM or does it handle them better?

I believe it will be similar.  They both use tubes, which definitely make it more sensitive to phone noise.  I would think the CV5 would do a little better in this regard because there is only 1 tube, and not a big glass opening like the CDM, but I'll have Ken confirm and post about it.

I hope this helps!

Vinnie

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #97 of 867
Thanks Vinnie for commenting on these issues, very informative.

I would not leave my iPhone near the Cv5 because it will pick up TDMA cell noise. 

If anyone is going to http://www.axpona.com/ please come by our table and listen to the Cv5.

Thanks

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 27, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #99 of 867
How does the Continental V5 compare against the older Continental V3? Do they share the same sonic signature?

The Cv3 was the first amplifier that I bought. I immediately fell in love with it when I first auditioned it. To date, it is still my favorite amplifier. I even bought a second set as backup when it got discontinued in case my original set failed.

I was so happy when the CDM (aka Cv4) was announced. When news came to me that the CDM was available in my local store, I rushed down to have a listen to it. I was simply blown away by the performance of the CDM. At first I told myself no harm trying as the price tag would put me off. But after trying, I was almost ready to pull the trigger. But what kept me away from it is its form factor. I would prefer something that is more portable rather than transportable.

And then, the answer to my wants came one day when I opened head-fi.org on my web browser. I was greated by "ALO Audio introduces the Continental Version 5". Oh my. I jumped for joy. And here I am now. Reading up passionately about the Cv5. The more I read, the more I can't help getting excited about the Cv5. I think my wallet is pretty ready for this baby. And I'm sure my headphones are more that ready for a new companion. Just camping here and waiting for the pre-order price.

Now back to my original question:
How does the Continental V5 compare against the older Continental V3? Do they share the same sonic signature?

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #100 of 867

The Cv3 was the first amplifier that I bought. I immediately fell in love with it when I first auditioned it. To date, it is still my favorite amplifier. I even bought a second set as backup when it got discontinued in case my original set failed.

I was so happy when the CDM (aka Cv4) was announced. When news came to me that the CDM was available in my local store, I rushed down to have a listen to it. I was simply blown away by the performance of the CDM. At first I told myself no harm trying as the price tag would put me off. But after trying, I was almost ready to pull the trigger. But what kept me away from it is its form factor. I would prefer something that is more portable rather than transportable.

And then, the answer to my wants came one day when I opened head-fi.org on my web browser. I was greated by "ALO Audio introduces the Continental Version 5". Oh my. I jumped for joy. And here I am now. Reading up passionately about the Cv5. The more I read, the more I can't help getting excited about the Cv5. I think my wallet is pretty ready for this baby. And I'm sure my headphones are more that ready for a new companion. Just camping here and waiting for the pre-order price.

I only tried the cv3 very briefly, so I can't comment on that.

I did hear the cdm very recently though, and what I will say is that I definitely prefer the cv5. It's still Tubey for sure, but compared to the cdm, it's got a better and cleaner leading edge, better transient response, overall cleaner and more refined sound to my ears. The soundstage and separation are also to notch.

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #101 of 867
If the Cv5 really is tuned closer to the new Rx with some tube flavour then count me in as a guaranteed owner.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #102 of 867
Mmmm......cdm vs. cv5 shaping up to be Alo's version of the Mojo vs. Chord Hugo.?? Fight! Lol.....
popcorn.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #104 of 867

HI Ibbef,

The Cv3 was larger physically, had less play time, generated more heat and was more microphonic than the Cv5. The Cv5 is for more refined and more evolved overall, with a wider, less grainy/harsh sound signature than the older Cv3. The Cv5 has a tighter low end grip as well as better low end decay in the notes. The Cv5 has a user replaceable battery of which we will have longer support for as well as a user replaceable tube. The Cv5 also exceeds the Cv3 in terms if the finish and quality of the enclosure as well. The Cv5s enclosure is made from a solid billet block of aluminum with exquisitely fine detailed machined engraved markings instead of paint. Again I think in terms of size and sound the Cv5 is the best amp we have ever made. I cant wait to get them to people soon.

Thank you,

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 27, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #105 of 867
  The Cv5 is for more refined and more evolved overall, with a wider, less grainy/harsh sound signature than the older Cv3. The Cv5 has a tighter low end grip as well as better low end decay in the notes.

Ouch.

(v3 owner)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back