Introducing the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U and HPA-3B, review to follow!
Jun 30, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #166 of 439
i have a class A amp is not hot at all 
 Theore and realty may deffer some times ...

and you didn t anwsered my question by the way "can you let your hand on the top"
because hot for some one can be just warm for other 
thanks

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #167 of 439
All Class-A amplifier transistors are hot to touch, otherwise it's not Class-A anymore, right? :) Now depends what the idle current would be and how the heat from the output transistors is dissipating to the case, so what Class-A headamp do you own and you're referring to, please?

For HPA-3B & 3U the case itself it's part of the heatsink, so it will be quite warm to hot to the touch after a couple of hours of operation and I mean at least 50C during summer. Power required from main would be around 15W when idling and even more when headphones connected and driven.

More about this here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/770610/introducing-the-matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-and-hpa-3b-review-to-follow/60#post_12178996
http://www.head-fi.org/t/770610/introducing-the-matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-and-hpa-3b-review-to-follow/105#post_12397517
http://www.head-fi.org/t/770610/introducing-the-matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-and-hpa-3b-review-to-follow/60#post_12157815

As you can see, I had lowered voltage from 36V to 30V, so I can use other op-amps; this also means internal temperature decreased a bit, so now it's less than 50C (I can do a measurement tonight again if you like).

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #168 of 439
My AMP is the nuforce udh 100 and is just gently warm .

50C is to much for me so i decide to go SE withe the beresford capella .
Yes i have seen your work that realy good but i am not a DIY guy in Electronique.

Do you have a balanced dac ? If not, have you heard improvement with balanced phone ?

Enjoy your listening  

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #169 of 439
NuForce UDH-100 is most likely a very good headamp, but temps are lower mostly because the output transistors are not directly connected to the case. Like I said, HPA-3B has a small case and this is also part of the heatsink, this is why the higher temps. HPA-3B might have a higher transistor current as well and also the no. of output transistors are probably doubled because of balanced operation.

Yes, I do have a balanced DAC (ASUS Essence One DIY MUSES) and I was very please with increase in scene when going balanced with my Matrix headamp.

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #170 of 439
Just put in the 2x LME49710HA on browndogs and boy has the sound become much clearer. The highs are more prominent but not in a harsh way, just more balanced and in line with the other frequencies. Overall Highs are much more detailed, which is the most significant improvement. There is also better transparency, everything is more separated, with more pin point and three-dimensional sound-staging. I know the LME49710HA may not be the ideal op-amp for rolling with the +/-18v regulators but for now I will enjoy them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #172 of 439
Anyone compared the 3B to the Liquid Carbon. I'm looking for an amp to pair with ifi micro iDSD and LCD3. This is only half the price of the Liquid Carbon seems to perform really well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Any one who own both HPA-3B and LC?  They both are balanced amp, it would be good to have a comparison.

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #173 of 439
Thanks for your hard work, effort and time guys, really really cool what your doing to this 'little' amp. I was after a fully balanced amp to power my LCD-X's and you guys found it for me, just ordered and on its way. :)

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #178 of 439
  =O

thanks
but, how about the cheap stuff?

2x LME49710HA on adaptors. I use them, and the top end is very present and detailed. Some folks here raised concerns about the amp having +/-18v and the lme49710HA having a recommended max of +/-17V. Has worked fine in mine though for the past month and a half. I think you are fine as long as you dont use max gain very often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back