Introducing the LCD-i3
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #721 of 1,041
Except that will still sound good to some and not others. Ear designs are unique to each person, how the eardrums receive said audio wave is unique to each person. The dsp can tweak things to each person. Design and engineering is for the baseline, not as easily changeable in the final product.

We can agree to disagree! I put my high-end headphone money into transparency. I don't personally look for something that sounds most enjoyable to my ears, but something that is as close as possible as being there when the artist played it.

I understand that there's recording/mixing processing that occurs that inhibits you from getting 100% that, but introducing extra processing compounds the error. To me, the extra money I pay in a headphone (and dac/amp) is to get as much accuracy as possible.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #723 of 1,041
The pins are dainty, but if you’re careful you should be fine. If you are swapping connections often, wear and tear will probably become a problem over time, as with anything.
Gotcha, yeah most headphones dont come with a array of cables lol, so its click, and its set for 10-20+ years. I dont do cable rolling, because of contact wear and tear.

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #724 of 1,041
Gotcha, yeah most headphones dont come with a array of cables lol, so its click, and its set for 10-20+ years. I dont do cable rolling, because of contact wear and tear.
For me, the Cipher V2 cable sounds a LOT better than the BT adapter. So I hardly ever use the BT option... You‘ll spend a few days going back and forth between them but I pretty much guarantee that you will eventually stick with the wired connection and leave it like that.

Let me know how you are finding your LCDi3s. Cheers

Jul 15, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #725 of 1,041
For me, the Cipher V2 cable sounds a LOT better than the BT adapter. So I hardly ever use the BT option... You‘ll spend a few days going back and forth between them but I pretty much guarantee that you will eventually stick with the wired connection and leave it like that.

I def will :wink: now if only the delivery guy would hurryap and get here with them 🤣

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #726 of 1,041

Oooooohhhhh these are guuuuddd(currently lightning cipher). Nice deep bass slam (actually has physical impact, not LCD-2 level but its definitely there), that planar to die for vocals and mids, a upper end that is accurate and stops just before the fatigue point. (Adjusted the 32hz and the 16khz sliders up one tick like I did with the isine 10). The clarity and soundstage is excellent.
@Audeze
Could we get a pic of the driver in these little guys?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #727 of 1,041
Here by the way a quite outstanding combination, I am surprised myself how good it is!

iPad Pro with Qobuz, Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt and the LCDi3. Had tried it with the iSine. That was nothing. The iSine20s are simply terribly tuned. Nothing fits and without EQ or cipher with DSP it sounds awful. For the i4, the Cobalt doesn't have enough power, so they don't really flourish. So let's try the i3 and see, it fits!

Beautiful sound, excellent bass, extremely clean, absolutely not exaggerated, excellent. Absolutely clear in the middle, slightly emphasized and with a very nice transition from the bass range. It doesn't interfere with that. The trebles a dream. Extremely clean, clear but not poisonous or sibiliant at all. Add to that the openness of the i3, spacious, wide stage. Yes, everything excellent!

The ciphers are even slightly more bass and trebles are a bit reduced. But this solution is definitely massively better than the BT cable. This is definitely a throw-away, sorry Audeze. But this is far below the dignity of the i3. Therefore I prefer this solution. Since I don't have an adapter USB-C to the cipher yet and these are available in Switzerland, the Cobalt is an extremely successful solution, even better than Cipher. I can absolutely recommend it to everybody!

IMG_0196.jpeg

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #728 of 1,041
A for effort on the BT module. Its nice to have, but under powered for the i3. Now that said. It still sounds better than airpods, and many other bt earphones. Ill be sticking with the cipher :)

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #729 of 1,041
Ive piped every kind of music I have through the LCD-i3, and they take on the LcD-2 with a vengence. Now the LcD-2 does whip em with bass, and soundstage. However every headphone I have except the LCD-2 they kick with a fierce energy. The EL-8, the HD-650, the K-701, the V6. All seem slow in comparison. Also lacking in soundstage size. For their size these little guys really punch up. Their speed keeps with every ounce of metal I chuck at them. Put on a good pair shoes with these, because if your’re like me. Youll be drilling a hole through the floor. The cipher is definitely better than the 3.5 with a iphone. No contest. Now for my question. How in the hell can planars be able to maintain 130dbl?, and what is the point of going 30db less than a 12ga shotgun or turbofan engine. That’s insane! Not that I have any intention of going that loud with these or the LCD-2.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #730 of 1,041
Ive piped every kind of music I have through the LCD-i3, and they take on the LcD-2 with a vengence. Now the LcD-2 does whip em with bass, and soundstage.
Honestly, you will need to add a few DBs to the bass frequencies using the Audeze HQ iOS app to really get that sub bass to come through strong. I added +5db to 32hz, +4db to 64hz, +2db to 125hz, +1db to 250hz. The other frequency ranges were left untouched. I saved this to Preset 1 and left Preset 2 at default settings. I occasionally switch between the two presets and I definitely prefer my tweaked preset for most musical genres.

Also, play around with the different tips as these do slightly affect bass response. I am happy with the medium sized grooved tips right now...
Oh, just a note, the ear fins work better than the ear hooks for me. I can lose hours listening while working with no discomfort at all.

Can I ask you to check if your app also sees your i3’s as i4’s in the firmware section?

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #731 of 1,041
Honestly, you will need to add a few DBs to the bass frequencies using the Audeze HQ iOS app to really get that sub bass to come through strong. I added +5db to 32hz, +4db to 64hz, +2db to 125hz, +1db to 250hz. The other frequency ranges were left untouched. I saved this to Preset 1 and left Preset 2 at default settings. I occasionally switch between the two presets and I definitely prefer my tweaked preset for most musical genres.

Also, play around with the different tips as these do slightly affect bass response. I am happy with the medium sized grooved tips right now...
Oh, just a note, the ear fins work better than the ear hooks for me. I can lose hours listening while working with no discomfort at all.

Can I ask you to check if your app also sees your i3’s as i4’s in the firmware section?
Yep my firmware shows i4. I use the medium ribbed ones, with the ear hooks. Not fully sure about the fins yet. I bumped the lowest and highest frequency in the app, like I did with the isine 10, and they sound phenomenal so far.

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #734 of 1,041
I would really love an ldac equipped bt cable for this... i guess you can go the DAP route but you lose the cipher. Audeze pretty please...

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #735 of 1,041
Is anyone running android with something like a ES100 (or comparable) using LDAC and achieving results that sound better than the cipher v2 with more power and eq? If so, kindly share EQ settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back