Introducing the Immersive PC 373D
Jul 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62
The ultimate audio experience for the discerning PC gamer. Sennheiser introduces its new flagship gaming headset PC 373D for competitive and immersive gaming

With the release of its PC 373D, Sennheiser has announced the new reference headset for competitive PC gamers around the world. The new high-end open acoustic gaming headset by the leader in audio delivers incredibly immersive 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound and crystal clear gaming communications thanks to its high quality, noise-cancelling microphone. The sleek Surround Dongle and user-friendly software perfectly optimizes the experience for immersive gaming, and even music. The superior features of the PC 373D are matched by its style and comfort to enhance your gaming experience, even after hours of playing.

“The PC 373D incorporates a host of impressive sound and design upgrades for the ultimate PC gaming experience”, says Tim Völker, Director Sales & Marketing Gaming at Sennheiser Communications A/S. “As the successor to our popular PC 363D, it is the definitive choice for gamers seeking to be fully immersed in their gaming sessions and that demand a very high quality surround sound level.”

INCREDIBLE CLARITY OF SOUND THROUGH INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGY
For an unprecedented gaming experience, the Dolby Surround Sound technology uses the shape of your ears to simulate the projection of sounds from different angles, creating a stunning 7.1 experience with a two speaker system. Powered by Sennheiser´s unique transducer technology for optimum clarity and accuracy, the high-end open acoustic gaming headset is paired with a sleek and intuitive new Surround Dongle, designed to optimise the sound experience at a single click of its Dolby button.

“The all-new software incorporated into the headset’s Surround Dongle immediately allows the gamer to both customize the sound to his needs and quickly switch between stereo and surround sound”, says Troels Rasmussen, Product Manager Gaming, Sennheiser Communications A/S.

A TAILORED SOUND EXPERIENCE 
The software’s elegant, intuitive interface tailors the experience to each gamer, their game, or their surroundings. The equalizer offers four settings including optimized modes for competitive and immersive gaming, an eSports mode, and an ‘Off’ setting that allows for a neutral sound performance. The PC 373D also provides a music mode for a premium audio experience.

CRYSTAL CLEAR GAMING COMMUNICATIONS 
Thanks to its high quality pro noise-cancelling microphone and optional noise reduction algorithm, the PC 373D guarantees clear team communication with no background noise. Three side tone settings, easily adjustable via the software interface, allow gamers to choose exactly how much they hear their own voice. 
Sound is easily controlled via the volume button, which is neatly integrated into the right ear cup, with muting quickly and effortlessly achieved by simply raising the boom arm.

UNRIVALLED STYLE AND COMFORT 
The market-leading sound quality and technology behind the PC 373D is matched by its style and comfort. The stylish headset is equipped with large and comfortable XXL plush velvet ear pads that cushion ears during gaming, while the laser-cut open design aluminum ear-cups help players stay cool even as the tension rises. With its comfortable padded headband, the PC 373D is barely noticeable to the wearer, no matter how long the gaming session lasts.

The PC 373D is available from July 2016 at the recommended retail price of 249€. As a Sennheiser product, the PC 373D is built to last and comes with a two-year worldwide warranty.

VIDEO

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 62
I wonder, what drivers they are based off from? Looks good, and you simply can't beat Sennheiser's gaming mics!
edit: Watched the video. Me thinks it's a re-shelled HD 598 with a killer mic and Dolby Headphones, much like their previous line were re-shelled HD 595.

beerchug.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 62
I look at this, and I wonder why Sennheiser doesn't go all-out and take their HD650/600/800 and do the same, maybe even outdo this. 
I for one, like quite a few others, have considered using HD650s or HD800. Dimitri from Hardware Canucks and Jerry AKA Barnacules sport HD800 with modmic for example.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 62
Any chance of this working with Playstation 4?

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 62
Is this USB connection or dual 3.5mm (headphone/microphone) connectors?

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 62
I have the PC360, and it's great.. however I prefer closed headphones because of sound getting in and out of the headphones. I also use my left hand on the mouse and have limited amount of keys at my disposal to be using push to talk so I prefer using voice activation. I'm not one of those fools who constantly queues the mic, so that means I can't use the PC360 if I plan on having it turned up a little because it triggers the mic.

I'm curious if that will ever be resolved in this line of headphones.

Also, it's a little scary to see Sennheiser jumping on this "7.1" gimmick. The PC360 sounded great, and the mic was great too. I don't think we need fake surround but I understand why they're doing it, I guess.. some people think they "need" that or it's "better" for positional audio. Maybe this is good news; maybe it will convert some people who waste tons of money on Razers to buy something well-made.

Afterall, I have tried to convince people how good these would be as a headset and I do sometimes have people telling me "but mine is 7.1" *facepalm*

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 62
  I look at this, and I wonder why Sennheiser doesn't go all-out and take their HD650/600/800 and do the same, maybe even outdo this. 
I for one, like quite a few others, have considered using HD650s or HD800. Dimitri from Hardware Canucks and Jerry AKA Barnacules sport HD800 with modmic for example.

My guess is because the price of such HP would skyrocket, and gamers are (at least considered to be) very sensitive to pricing.
Besides, in-game sound would probably not benefit much from over-the-top quality HP's, since in-game audio is normally stored in lower quality than your hi-res FLAC / ALAC / DSD, etc.
With games, you normally look for precise positioning (if we're talking competitive), or wide soundstage & badass bass (if we're talking immersive), not reference-level monitoring sound.

Sure there are some people willing to spend $$$ on HP's to use for gaming, but not very many.

Jul 30, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 62
  The wide soundstage of 2 channel stereo is much better in competitive play than emulated 7.1 surround sound.

It really depends.

As for me, I'm using CMSS-3D (Creative Gamer X-Fi sound card) for all games and find it better than normal stereo.
Take Overwatch, I specifically tested "native" sound (actually it uses Dolby Atmos HRTF), and CMSS-3D offered better positioning.
Although I'm not that much of a competitive gamer.

It is highly individual. Some people prefer "native" stereo sound, some prefer Creative solutions, others go for Dolby.
Ceratin headphones and DAC/amp's probably pair better with certain technologies.
There are many videos on U-tube comparing different HRTF's, you might want to check those with your gear.

What you get with 373D would probably equal to normal "Dolby Headphone" (with ASUS Xonar sound cards), but no additional sound card required.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #13 of 62
Personally, I like having the option of choosing what sort of virtual surround sound mode I'd want. 
Creative's own 7.1 CMSS-3D works very well with IEMs. I tried it with my W4R before. It's not a necessity for open headphones to me. 

I do not being locked to a mandatory DAC. It's fine to provide a DAC (as with Beyerdynamic's MMX 300 and/or having detachable cables as with ATH-PDG1 though. I hope Sennheiser has opted for the detachable route here.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #14 of 62
And here I am wanting a new headset. :D

Question for Senn: What dsp is your surround based off? Is it your own proprietary surround, or is it a licensed one like Dolby Headphone, THX Tru Studio, SBX, etc?

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 62
I have the PC360, and it's great.. however I prefer closed headphones because of sound getting in and out of the headphones. I also use my left hand on the mouse and have limited amount of keys at my disposal to be using push to talk so I prefer using voice activation. I'm not one of those fools who constantly queues the mic, so that means I can't use the PC360 if I plan on having it turned up a little because it triggers the mic.

I'm curious if that will ever be resolved in this line of headphones.

Also, it's a little scary to see Sennheiser jumping on this "7.1" gimmick. The PC360 sounded great, and the mic was great too. I don't think we need fake surround but I understand why they're doing it, I guess.. some people think they "need" that or it's "better" for positional audio. Maybe this is good news; maybe it will convert some people who waste tons of money on Razers to buy something well-made.

Afterall, I have tried to convince people how good these would be as a headset and I do sometimes have people telling me "but mine is 7.1" *facepalm*

It's not a 'gimmick'. I have built my entire gaming headphone guide around this 'gimmick', which I assure you transforms your audio experience, be it gaming, movies, or anything with a 5.1/7.1 source.

While you're wondering if a sound is in front or behind you, I'll already to shoot you through the wall bassed on your audio location. For music, or typical stereo sources, no. But for everything else. Hell yes.

Anyone with a 7.1 headphone audio is going to destroy everyone else not using it, even if they are equally skilled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back