Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Nov 13, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #226 of 342
Any headphones under $500 you would recommend for metal? Sundara sounds a bit thin for me
I don't listen to Metal but reading this discussion a bit maybe the HE6SE V2 would be good. It has agressive mids and slam and is a very fast headphone. But you need a significant amp to drive them well. Price has gotten lower and lower recently.

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #227 of 342
I just picked up a HE-R9 during Black Friday and have a question. I've watched WaveTheory's video about how aftermarket cables may not work with them, specifically Hart cables. I have the Magnius/Modius stack and a Hart dual 3.5mm TRS to XLR cable. I don't hear a L/R imbalance at all while using this setup. Volume and clarify in the right earcup sounds just fine. No degraded volume or crackling/popping. I also have a cheaper dual 3.5mm TS to 3.5mm cable and can hear a slight imbalance when using both Magnius/Modius and Lyr/Byfrost, but again no crackling/popping. So why is it that I'm not having the same imbalance issues others are reporting when using my Hart cable? I'm definitely not complaining, just curious. Anyone else using a Magnius/Mobius with the HE-R9?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #229 of 342
I can suggest skyaudiocables ebay store.

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #231 of 342
Thanks a lot, but unfortunately he's no longer shipping to Germany.
Really? Did you contact Reece or is the site itself somehow suggesting they don't ship there?

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #233 of 342
It says so on his auction description. Is he still in the business? Seems to only have one listing active.

So two things, you're right, on his shipping it says Germany is excluded. But, I think this is unintentional.

He has many items listed.

In the past we saw that ebay screws up his listings and people in various places where he does ship, cannot see his items.

I would say trying contacting him via https://www.ebay.com/usr/skyaudiocables and ask about shipping to you and tell him what kind of cable(s) you want.

His appreciation thread is here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sky-audio-cables.916261/

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #234 of 342
So two things, you're right, on his shipping it says Germany is excluded. But, I think this is unintentional.

He has many items listed.

In the past we saw that ebay screws up his listings and people in various places where he does ship, cannot see his items.

I would say trying contacting him via https://www.ebay.com/usr/skyaudiocables and ask about shipping to you and tell him what kind of cable(s) you want.

His appreciation thread is here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sky-audio-cables.916261/
Thank you! I've contacted him.

One question though: can't I just use any Hifiman dual 3,5mm cable to 4,4mm to get balanced output though? It seems like people only are talking about the single 3.5mm connection mode in this thread.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #235 of 342
Thank you! I've contacted him.

One question though: can't I just use any Hifiman dual 3,5mm cable to 4,4mm to get balanced output though? It seems like people only are talking about the single 3.5mm connection mode in this thread.
I don't know the HE-R9 but if it uses the same cables as the HE6 etc. then yes.

The discussion here that I remember was whether you need 2 or 3 pole connection at the driver. Apparently stock cables come with 3 pole even though only 2 pole is needed (1 pole is probably not connected on the stock cables)

The cables I bought from Reece (around 10 or so) always come with the correct connectors. The Hifiman cables he made for me have 2 pole connectors for the drivers.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #236 of 342
As I understand the HE-R9 can be balanced and need 1 socket cable, dual entry won't work because of how it's wired.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221205-093746.png
    Screenshot_20221205-093746.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #237 of 342
As I understand the HE-R9 can be balanced and need 1 socket cable, dual entry won't work because of how it's wired.
This is good info, can be passed to Reece. He can easily make the right cable for balanced, even though it won't be dual entry.

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #238 of 342
According to people in the Reddit thread though, it works with any dual 3.5mm TRS 2pole terminated to 4.4mm. I mean, why shouldn't it? Both sides just bypass the internal wiring.

1670352726506.png

I have a cheap cable coming in off Amazon tomorrow - will report back.

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #239 of 342
According to people in the Reddit thread though, it works with any dual 3.5mm TRS 2pole terminated to 4.4mm. I mean, why shouldn't it? Both sides just bypass the internal wiring.

I have a cheap cable coming in off Amazon tomorrow - will report back.
I tried a cheap none balanced cable for Hifiman and Beyerdynamic headphones, they kept distorting and at times the sound got extremely loud then they dropped out since the amp activated a security measure (cma400i). Tried on another amp also, there they got no sound on one of the cups. Tried the same cable with my T1 and it worked great.

After this I tried my more premium none balanced cable and balanced from T1 without any success with the same problem.

The custom made cable I got myself made has worked, just gave the maker the schematics.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #240 of 342
First place I noticed this was gunshots in a shooter game, the sound is fast and loud. It shorted the sound for 10s, after this I tried the same with my DAW to check with certain frequency's and found out as the sound gets louder more power goes trough and then it cuts the sound to protect. Just beware when trying, might fry something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back