Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
May 28, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #106 of 342
If you have a Mac, you can use CMD-OPTION-4 to draw a bounding box around the part of the screen you want to snapshot, so you can leave out personal info, and Windows has similar functionality I believe with WINDOWS-SHIFT-S, although I might be wrong on the key combo, but it replaces the old PRINT SCREEN functionality which doesn’t allow you to draw a bounding box around the snapshot to grab only what you want.

I’m looking forward to more impressions, but who knows, I might be nutty enough to pull the trigger anyway before the sale ends. 😅
Off topic, but how are you finding those HD8XX's after a while?

May 28, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #107 of 342
Off topic, but how are you finding those HD8XX's after a while?
I used them one day this past week briefly but at work and I was distracted by work lol, but they've had little head time since I've got them -- I remember being quite impressed with them overall and hearing some similarity between them and the Clear but I'm a victim of getting too headphone happy and just not giving them enough head time so far. :)

They're supremely comfortable, that's for sure. Far lighter than the Heddphones I have on my head presently. 😅. I don't have the 8XX here at home, they're at my main office or I'd put them on my head now to do a little comparison between these Heddphones and the 8XX.

May 29, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #108 of 342
Well, that was a great weekend with the R9's. I liked them at first, but liked them a lot more after 15 hours. The mids seemed to become more forward and more clear as time went on. I am sure it was just brain burn-in.

This week it will be interesting to compare them against T60 Argons and Elegia's.

The Little Dot MK9 was a decent partner, but the Violectric V220 was better.

The winner, to me, was the Pro iCAN. Surprisingly, without bass boost or 3D sound effects. Really fills the sound out nicely.

May 29, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #109 of 342
Well, that was a great weekend with the R9's. I liked them at first, but liked them a lot more after 15 hours. The mids seemed to become more forward and more clear as time went on. I am sure it was just brain burn-in.

This week it will be interesting to compare them against T60 Argons and Elegia's.

The Little Dot MK9 was a decent partner, but the Violectric V220 was better.

The winner, to me, was the Pro iCAN. Surprisingly, without bass boost or 3D sound effects. Really fills the sound out nicely.
Sorry side track a bit...... from your list of gears......... are you using your Violectriv V220 with Bifrost 2? How do you like the pairing? I have recently bought V200 granted not the same but wondering if I should go for Bifrost 2 for dac despite the general suggestion is to go for Soekris 1321 (harder to find these days) instead.

Otherwise still waiting for my R7DX JM Edition to come back, but T60 Argon and Elegia were on my potential list so really curious what your impression is vs the R9. Been trying to find a comfortable headphone for my big head without sacrifice too much to sound lol, thanks!

May 29, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #110 of 342
My BF2 runs all the amps and I am quite happy with the sound.

May 30, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #111 of 342
I got mine today...and I’m disappointed. I'm no reviewer, but I'll share my thoughts:

I like a warmer headphone, but these are even warmer than the NightOwl and the NightOwl is already too warm for many. I don't feel like the mids are too recessed (a concern I have with warm headphones), but the bass is so much that it's a little overpowering and bloaty. These are definitely "bass head" headphones.

I like that they're so lightweight, but with light weight comes plasticky build...maybe I'm underestimating the build but it seems a little flimsy for $600. They also don't isolate very well at all. The more I try them, the more I realize they almost seem like they're "semi-open". The NightOwl isolates so much better. At this rate I might as well just get open-backs.

Also, let's be honest...these headphones are butt ugly. They stick out so much I'd be embarrassed to wear them in public. :sweat: Obviously that's not important, but I care a little a bit about how headphones look.

I have to agree with much of this assessment. Very disappointed in the build quality, isolation, and the bass is too much (even as someone who prefers a warmer sound signature). I will be sending them back.
I tested them out when I was visiting Audio46 and was surprised that they felt so flimsy in my hands and the sound was quite compressed. I hope to someday get the R10 D or P but if they disappoint, I won't. Between R9 and Audiotechnica ATH WP900, I ended up with the WP900. Just better in every way for 50 bucks more. Also got a Kennerton GH40 2 days later since I couldnt resist.

May 30, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #112 of 342
I tested them out when I was visiting Audio46 and was surprised that they felt so flimsy in my hands and the sound was quite compressed. I hope to someday get the R10 D or P but if they disappoint, I won't. Between R9 and Audiotechnica ATH WP900, I ended up with the WP900. Just better in every way for 50 bucks more. Also got a Kennerton GH40 2 days later since I couldnt resist.
It took me a while to adjust to the sound. The more I listened, the more I like them. Just got home and popped them on now.

You and I really have different tastes. I had the WP900's and Hated them. Took me months to sell them and I had to drop to half of retail. And they only had like 50 hours on them.

Very curious on the GH40. I really like my LSA HP-2's and definitely see more Kennertons in my future.

Funny how we like different music on different pieces. I bought some music on the weekend. And...
1 Bywater Call song sounds very nice
4 songs from the new Black Keys album = No
1 Bob Moses sounds good
7 new Florence and the Machine songs are Great

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #113 of 342
It took me a while to adjust to the sound. The more I listened, the more I like them. Just got home and popped them on now.

You and I really have different tastes. I had the WP900's and Hated them. Took me months to sell them and I had to drop to half of retail. And they only had like 50 hours on them.

Very curious on the GH40. I really like my LSA HP-2's and definitely see more Kennertons in my future.
Im guessing you didnt like the WP900 because they were too bright and thin sounding? Coming from the Kennerton GH40 and my primary AHD 9200, I could see why if you prefer a warm headphone.

May 30, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #114 of 342
Im guessing you didnt like the WP900 because they were too bright and thin sounding? Coming from the Kennerton GH40 and my primary AHD 9200, I could see why if you prefer a warm headphone.
I found the mids were too scooped out. I love mids. That was a problem with the R9's at first, but it changed (or my mind adjusted) over the weekend.

My favourite headphones are my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. Still looking for that closed back that I can love.:smile:

May 30, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #115 of 342
I found the mids were too scooped out. I love mids. That was a problem with the R9's at first, but it changed (or my mind adjusted) over the weekend.

My favourite headphones are my Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and HiFiman HE6se V2's. Still looking for that closed back that I can love.:smile:
Oh nevermind. You would probably not like most Denons. I found the WP900 to have quite a prominent treble but I agree that the mids feel recessed. Hows the build holding up for you on the R9 since from my experience it feels too flimsy for carrying in a backpack full of books and a laptop.

May 30, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #116 of 342
Oh nevermind. You would probably not like most Denons. I found the WP900 to have quite a prominent treble but I agree that the mids feel recessed. Hows the build holding up for you on the R9 since from my experience it feels too flimsy for carrying in a backpack full of books and a laptop.
It is definitely the lightest headphone that I own, I think. I have to weigh them against the Grado's.

Yeah, I do not think they would fare well in a back pack bouncing around. I call them very light, but you could also say flimsy.

May 31, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #118 of 342
Should be getting a set of JM modded he-r9 in a few days

Tempted to grab a set of standard r9s for comparison.

Anyone have any insight as to how these fair with tubes?
They fair really well with tubes, not sure about pure tube amps but with ATH-BHA100 hybrid it gets tighter and has a bigger stage as well as having better lower treble extenion

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #119 of 342
Should be getting a set of JM modded he-r9 in a few days

Tempted to grab a set of standard r9s for comparison.

Anyone have any insight as to how these fair with tubes?
I didn't find them anything special on my tube amp (Little Dot MK9).

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #120 of 342
I have three open backs that I LOVE!

However I don't love a single closed back and I have gone through many. I like several, but they all have nagging weak points.

My favourite genres are new rock, classic rock, blues and horn jazz. Also, I am not a loud listener and never top 75Db's.

I found the TH900mk2 Sapphires (fancy word for blue) are a surprisingly good set of closed cans with no V. They are closed but they don't seal well.

This is a very fast set of cans with slam that I think you might enjoy based on your genres since they have some overlap with what I listen to.

Downside is cost, they're extremely delicate and easy to bang up the beautiful finish. Original pads, parts etc. are very expensive.

I made the mistake one evening of listening to my otherworldly pair of LCD-3F after the TH900mk2 and then going back to the Fostex... they started to sound muddy and unclear :frowning2: It was a horrible moment after months of enjoyment. So I would say if you don't typically listen to hugely resolving cans (and I don't think the HE6SE V2 falls into that category) or you don't play musical headphones often, these are worth looking into. Caveat, I have not heard the Reds, people say they have a V...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back