Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Jun 16, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #166 of 776
I'm returning mine. These static noises will just bother me the whole time.
I suspect the problem is the DAC and the 115/230 volt power supply.

But I will look somewhere else. At this price range this shouldn't even be a problem.

Jun 16, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #167 of 776
Dear All, About the issue you reflected here that EF400 might not work well with some USB cables and cause noise issue while using, we are pleased to say that we’ve fixed this and you don’t have to worry about it anymore. This only exists in several units in the first batch. If you have such an issue with your EF400, please contact us at customerservice@hifiman.com and we would be most happy to replace it for you.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 16, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #168 of 776
Dear All, About the issue you reflected here that EF400 might not work well with some USB cables and cause noise issue while using, we are pleased to say that we’ve fixed this and you don’t have to worry about it anymore. This only exists in several units in the first batch. If you have such an issue with your EF400, please contact us at customerservice@hifiman.com and we would be most happy to replace it for you.

How does this work for someone like me that purchased the unit from a retailer in Germany? Return the unit, wait for a refund and hope to get one from a new batch?

What was the actual problem now and how did you fix it?

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #169 of 776
Hi,
I got a reply from the seller that Hifiman said the unit already set to 220-230v as per Indian standard. And the issue is caused by physical damage and will not be covered under brand warranty.

There is not a single paper or manual that contains in the box that warns poor customers like me. This is a mistake from Hifiman's side too.

After all EF400 is not cheap by any means. FiiO includes big warning page with K9 Pro which also comes with voltage flip switch.

I demand your explanation and support to rectify my issue.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #170 of 776
Hi,
I got a reply from the seller that Hifiman said the unit already set to 220-230v as per Indian standard. And the issue is caused by physical damage and will not be covered under brand warranty.

There is not a single paper or manual that contains in the box that warns poor customers like me. This is a mistake from Hifiman's side too.

After all EF400 is not cheap by any means. FiiO includes big warning page with K9 Pro which also comes with voltage flip switch.

I demand your explanation and support to rectify my issue.
It might just be a blown fuse which you could easily replace with exact specs fuse as mentioned in product manual.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #172 of 776
There was some noise and smoke came out of the volume wheel, I suspect it's not the fuse. I don't want to open it until this is finalized.
Probably a blown fuse. Blown fuse looks like a blown light bulb.

The retailer where I ordered from will get replacement units. But it will take multiple weeks because the units arrive via train..

@TeamHiFiMAN if this was a known issue it's seriously lame to talk about power conditioners and usb filters/cables and stuff.

So where was the actual issue? I was about to purchase all kind of DC blockers, "audiophile" power cords and usb filters trying to fix a problem that shouldn't even be there.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #173 of 776
Remember that 99.9% of the time there are no problems.
Cheers...

20220616_145003.jpg

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #176 of 776
Remember that 99.9% of the time there are no problems.
Cheers...

20220616_145003.jpg

I used the amp 5 times so far and had the static noise 3 times. 1 time it was a occasionall pop sound and 2 times it was static crackling that would get rather loud for multiple seconds.

My device suffers from a slight transformer hum (only audible a few cm from the PSU).
Powerfilter and having nothing connected to device didn't change that.

It's a shame really since it's a good looking amp that sounds otherwise very good.

But playing beta tester for a company is not my thing.

My retailer offered already to take the unit back. I know for sure that I won't be purchasing hifiman headphones in the future.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #177 of 776

Users who are viewing this thread

Back