Introducing the EVGA NU Audio Pro Cards - Ascend From Lifelike Audio to 7.1 Heaven
Mar 22, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #92 of 110
to my ears they have more analog, warm sound to it..where's AKM,Sabre etc sound more compressed, digital to my ears.
My Asus D2X Uses a BB, but I got it in 08' and im looking to upgrade. But I hear a lot of negative things about the new EVGA

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #94 of 110
The Nu Audio Pro 7.1 is an awesome sound card. I took all the stock opamps out of the main card and daughter card, and replaced them with my LME49720HA metal cans. The metal cans, being nice and neutral, pair perfectly with the neutral sound signature of the AKM DAC chips. The great thing that EVGA did here, is that they ended up using 4 of the AKM AK4493 DAC chips, so you get a high end DAC for all 7.1 channels. For most current sound card, including the AE9, you get a high end chip for the main 2 channels, but then a worse DAC for the surround channels. It was a great choice by EVGA to not cheap out on the DAC chip selection.

The OPA275 opamps in the daughter card are not great. They are boomy and loose in their bass response. Their treble response is lacking in refinement and dynamics. It is a V shaped opamp, and a poor match for the AKM4493 DAC chips. I strongly suggest at least replacing those opamps if you plan to get the 7.1 Nu Audio Pro. The AD8056 opamp used in the line out on the main card is a much better opamp than the OPA275. It is still not as good as the LME49720HA metal can I replaced it with though. I highly recommend this card, but I strongly suggest putting some detailed and neutral opamps in it to show you what the AKM chips are capable of.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #95 of 110
Thanks for your reply
Between the Ae9 and the nu audio pro,what would be the best? Im using stereo direct with my zxr and quit satisfied with it,only the lack of native dsd annoys me.
Mainly for music.
Whats bothers me about the ae9 that the board looks cheapo compared to evga and the zxr.

Mar 24, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #96 of 110
I have not heard the AE9 card. I used to own the ZXR, and I upgraded from it to the Nu Audio Pro 7.1.The difference in sound quality from the PCM1794 used on the main channels on the ZXR and the AKM443 used on the EVGA is easily noticeable. The Burr-Brown has that typical warm sound signature. The AKM is far more neutral. It offers much more small details in music. Are you looking at buying the Nu Audio Pro main card, or the 7.1 package with both cards ?

Another thing to mention here is multichannel usage. With the ZXR, you get 24Bit/192kHz for 2 channel audio. If you use 5.1 analog multichannel, it is limited to 24Bit/96kHz. On the EVGA 7.1, you get 32Bit/384kHz for 2 channel. When using 5.1 or 7.1 analog multichannel, you get 32Bit/192kHz. The AKM4493 is a full tier above the Burr-Brown PCM1794 (main line out channels), and Burr-Brown PCM1798 (surround channels) on the ZXR card. The EVGA is using far better DAC chips.

Mar 24, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #98 of 110
Either card will be an upgrade for you. The EVGA is cheaper though. Creative decided to cheap out on the quality of the components used on the AE9 card though. I am not too impressed to see that, considering the high cost. They decided to put more money into the external DAC/AMP box the card comes with.

Even though you did not mention this, keep in mine that the AE9 is a 5.1 audio solution. The EVGA is a 7.1 audio solution.

May 20, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #100 of 110
Oh man. That means I need to get an ATX mobo. Ty for the verification.

After six months, I have upgraded to the X470 ATX Gaming Plus Motherboard. So now I can get this.

May 22, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #101 of 110
Hi DW75,
Can you show me the picture how to install the LME49720HA metal can on the main card? and what is the best place to buy them?
Thanks

Very few places sell authentic LME49720HA metal cans now. If you look on EBAY, you will see people in China selling fake ones. Sadly, all of ones in China are fakes. They are a cheap knock off using a far worse opamp disguised as LME49720HA opamps. Your best option is to get yourself some LME49860NA opamps. It is an excellent opamp, and it is unbeatable in terms of sound quality in the 10 bucks or less price point for each opamp. You can replace all the opamps in the main card and daughter board with these if you want. The AD8056 opamp on the line out is already pretty good. The LT1469 opamp used on the headphone out is also a good opamp. The OPA275 opamps used on the daughter card are not as good as the others. If you decided to switch to the LME49860NA for all opamps, the sound card will become completely neutral in sound signature. The AKM 4493 DAC chips are neutral, with a smooth treble response and a bit of warmth to the mids. The LME49860NA is a neutral opamp, with very low distortion, tight and quick bass, clean and detailed treble, and a tiny bit of warmth to the mids as well. These opamps, and the LME49720HA metal cans pair perfectly with the AKM 4493 DAC chips on the card. I have multiple LME49860NA opamps and I tested them in the two cards as well. You would be impressed with the sound quality. If you replace all the opamps, you would need 5 of them. Two for the main card, and 3 for the daughter card. A seller in the USA on ebay called nooelec sells authentic LME49860NA opamps. He is one of the only ones left who has them. Do not buy from China. They will all be fakes.

May 22, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #103 of 110
Thank you for your details post, have you try MUSES02 kind expensive for that chip $45
Also I look at the link from ebay LM49860NA is not in the evga certified list, is it OK to use?
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back