Introducing the Drop + Etymotic ERX In-Ear Monitors
Aug 2, 2022 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HoffmanMyster

Sponsor: DROP
Hey everyone!

First I’d like to very briefly introduce myself - I’m HoffmanMyster, and I’ve been handling the community side of things for Drop.com as of a few months ago. You’ll probably be seeing a bit more of me in the future and if you ever need anything related to Drop or our products/collabs, don’t hesitate to reach out.

More importantly though, I’m excited to introduce our latest collaboration with Etymotic!

Together with Etymotic, we’ve put together a great new IEM, pairing the single-balanced-armature design of their ER4 IEMs with the shell and form factor of the EVO IEMs. We’ve tuned this combination of components with Etymotic and the community to land somewhere in between the two starting points, with a sound and feel all its own (but distinctively Etymotic).

Please take a look below and as mentioned, feel free to leave any comments here and I’ll do my best to answer your questions!

Drop + Etymotic ERX In-Ear Monitors

“In audiophile circles and beyond, anyone who knows earphones knows the name Etymotic. Founded in 1983 with an emphasis on auditory research and engineering-driven product design, Etymotic turned heads just one year later by inventing the first insert earphones for audiological research—the ER1, ER2, and ER3—which are still used in the field today. In 1991, the brand released its first consumer hi-fi insert earphone—the ER4—which was the first earphone of its kind to use balanced armature drivers, previously used only in hearing aids. After many years and ER4 iterations, Etymotic released the EVO in 2021, branching out with a multi-driver, in-concha design. Through all of these innovations, the brand has stayed true to one signature that’s undeniably Etymotic: earphones that sit deep in the ear canal. It’s an unmistakable—some would say superior—design choice and listening experience.“

1638-copy-pdp.jpg

1503-copy-pdp.jpg

1582.jpg

Specs
Drop + Etymotic
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 16KHz
Transducers: Single high-performance balanced armature per channel
Nominal Impedance: 45 Ohms @ 1kHz
Sensitivity: 98 dB SPL for a 0.1Vrms input into IEC60318-4 ear simulator @1KHz
Maximum Output: 120dB SPL
Cable: 4 ft length, user-replaceable, with Estron T2 connectors

kfQ7CYOVRQqgpkvjqEHJ_Drop ERX Freq Response Graph (7.06.22) (1).png

01nfzsJkSrKEOq5D8oSA_Drop ERX vs ER4XR Freq Response Graph (7.06.22) (2).png

Last edited:
Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 20
Make it a hybrid with the ER2XR drivers plus the armatures and give us a graph with less roll on the ends and I'll buy one.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 20
Marketing guys, what do you expect from Etymotic. They guys still have to keep their products competitive to each other

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 20
What does this improve on or do differently from other models, such that current Etymotic owners would want to purchase it? I personally do not see anything compelling, but I am open to someone changing my mind.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 20
What does this improve on or do differently from other models, such that current Etymotic owners would want to purchase it? I personally do not see anything compelling, but I am open to someone changing my mind.

Two reasons that I'll find compelling:

1) The evo shell looks to provide a better fit than the original stick-like shell.

2) Some might prefer less of a treble presence than what the ER4XR currently provides.

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 20
just 1 full range BA kinda stretching it a bit?

Aug 4, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 20
Two reasons that I'll find compelling:

1) The evo shell looks to provide a better fit than the original stick-like shell.

2) Some might prefer less of a treble presence than what the ER4XR currently provides.
it will be darker for sure, less energy between 4-6khz, the peak in the upper treble is larger though

Aug 4, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #15 of 20
Single BA iems are not capable of producing real bass, sorry.
I was fine with this kind of sound 10 or so years ago, but this day and age i know better and will never go back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back