Introducing the DGM G001 Super-Duper Hi-Tech Mono Speaker! ;)
Apr 1, 2008 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dgm

100+ Head-Fier
dgm_g001_scaled.jpg

g001_sideview_scaled.jpg

I got a little bored, so I decided to make a mono speaker out of junk lying around my house...

sideview_zoom_scaled.jpg

The voice coil is a big iron nail wrapped in about 10 feet of insulated copper wire. The magnet is just a little rectangular magnet from a magnet kit that I got for a Christmas present as a kid, attached with a little mounting tab. The diaphragm is a little square piece of paper, with a small paperclip on it to make it magnetic.

I didn't ~actually~ think that a piece of paper with a paperclip on it would make any sound; or if it did, I thought it would surely be some incoherent buzzing noise.

Surprisingly enough, if you hook this thing up to an amp, and hold the paper right next to your ear, you can actually hear music with a surprisingly good level of detail for something this ****ty looking.

Fun little project.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the real question, is are they better than ibuds?

Haven't done a direct comparison, but I'd say that they're pretty much in the same league...
wink.gif

I replaced the paper diaphragm with a slightly thicker type of cardboard... and damn, I have to say, this little project is yielding results that I never expected... you can really hear each and every instrument in a song, high and low frequencies are both transmitted fairly well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much $$$? I'm going to buy one.

tongue.gif

I'll build you one for $450...

Actually, in total the thing is probably worth less than $1 USD.

Apr 2, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 11
Awesome, your ingenuity is a gift. Soon enough, you will become the next Bose rival. I'm sure their R&D developers are going to hear about this thread. Don't be surprised if you get hit with a lawsuit for patent infringement. I think they have one for cardboard farts, anyway.

BTW, love the Alex Grey artwork.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 11
i saw something like this on youtube with similar results. I'd say try experimenting with different diaphragm materials until you find one that sounds incredible
eek.gif
and try and make a Frankenstein headphone using it
evil_smiley.gif
. Keep up the work buddy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, your ingenuity is a gift. Soon enough, you will become the next Bose rival. I'm sure their R&D developers are going to hear about this thread. Don't be surprised if you get hit with a lawsuit for patent infringement. I think they have one for cardboard farts, anyway.

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, love the Alex Grey artwork.

biggrin.gif
<3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i saw something like this on youtube with similar results. I'd say try experimenting with different diaphragm materials until you find one that sounds incredible
eek.gif
and try and make a Frankenstein headphone using it
evil_smiley.gif
. Keep up the work buddy
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, right now I'm trying to make a cardboard cone, more like an actual speaker diaphragm, we'll see how it goes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back