Introducing the Aurisonics Auris
Oct 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

AxelCloris

Head-Fi TV Producer and Presenter
Administrator
At CanJam 2014, part of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, I was lucky enough to be pulled aside by Dale Lott of Aurisonics and shown an upcoming product, the Aurisonics Auris.

Image courtesy of Aurisonics.com​

First, a quick background about Aurisonics just for those who many not know the story. Dale Lott is a master audio engineer and designer of audio products. He began Aurisonics in 2011 working out of his basement and has since shaped Aurisonics into an internationally recognized brand.  Today they manufacturer a variety of monitors ranging from single dynamic driver universal fit IEMs to custom fit multi-driver hybrids. But what's really impressive about Aurisonics is their dedication to quality. Aurisonics products are made to military grade specifications with 60-80% or more of the part manufactured in the USA. Dale's passion to build lasting products shows in each monitor Aurisonics produces.
 ​
Image courtesy of Aurisonics.com​

Now, onto what we're really here for. The Aurisonics Auris is the next headphone to come out of Aurisonics but it's unlike anything they've released to date. The Aurisonics Auris is a wireless IEM designed for use with Bluetooth devices such as cell phones, DAPs, computers, and really anything else you can think of that broadcasts a stereo Bluetooth signal. The Aurisonics Auris features aptX Bluetooth technology to make sure you're getting the convenience of wireless sound while minimizing the traditional sacrifice to sound quality inherent in wireless headphones. Aurisonics is doing some packing some amazing stuff in this device and you'll want to jump on the Aurisonics Auris as soon as possible.

Like the Aurisonics Rockets before, The Aurisonics Auris will make its debut on Kickstarter. Dale has informed me that the campaign will launch on [TBA]. There is a prototype, which you can (barely) see below. I wanted to show more of the Auris but Aurisonics wants to keep things under wraps until they're ready to officially announce the product. We'll know more details as Aurisonics releases them to the public.

This post will be updated as more details are made available on the Aurisonics Auris.​

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 113
Looks interesting. Single button or is that bump on the bottom clickable.

http://www.aurisonics.com/auris/

Wonder how they will compare with The Dash. Maybe trade the bells and whistles for a more audiophile experience?

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 113
Oh awesome. Didn't realize the official page was up yet. Going to steal the photos for the first post. Thanks for the link!

Dale and I were talking quite a bit about comparisons with the Dash and while it'll be hard to say what will happen in the end I'm comfortable assuming that the Auris will both sound better and be more user friendly. I can't say much about what's planned for the Auris but know that I like where Aurisonics set their focus. And the fact that many people love Aurisonics headphones already speaks volumes towards the future sound quality of the Auris. I've backed the Dash on Kickstarter and you can be sure that I'll compare both once they're in hand.

[Edit] Also, it's worth pointing out that there was a demo available for wearing at RMAF. The fit is excellent and they're light weight. It may sound like a cliche statement but I could easily forget I was wearing them. Since there's no weight from the cord I didn't have any downward pull apart from gravity and it was impossible to catch a cable and pull them out of the ears.

There is a feature, and I accidentally leaked the name in another post (oops), called Tribe that sounds like something I'd love to have on a headphone. It's one of the many things that the Auris will do and I plan to use it whenever possible.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 113
I'm far from an engineer- without cables physically connecting earphones to the amp, does anyone know if bluetooth technology would be capable of balanced output or will it be limited to single-ended?

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 113
  Oh awesome. Didn't realize the official page was up yet. Going to steal the photos for the first post. Thanks for the link!

Dale and I were talking quite a bit about comparisons with the Dash and while it'll be hard to say what will happen in the end I'm comfortable assuming that the Auris will both sound better and be more user friendly. I can't say much about what's planned for the Auris but know that I like where Aurisonics set their focus. And the fact that many people love Aurisonics headphones already speaks volumes towards the future sound quality of the Auris. I've backed the Dash on Kickstarter and you can be sure that I'll compare both once they're in hand.

[Edit] Also, it's worth pointing out that there was a demo available for wearing at RMAF. The fit is excellent and they're light weight. It may sound like a cliche statement but I could easily forget I was wearing them. Since there's no weight from the cord I didn't have any downward pull apart from gravity and it was impossible to catch a cable and pull them out of the ears.

There is a feature, and I accidentally leaked the name in another post (oops), called Tribe that sounds like something I'd love to have on a headphone. It's one of the many things that the Auris will do and I plan to use it whenever possible.

The Earin, with it's focus on audio quality, is probably their biggest competition (from the Head-fi POV). And they definitely have the upper-hand on size. But it is great to hear that the Auri's were that comfortable.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 113

The Earin, with it's focus on audio quality, is probably their biggest competition (from the Head-fi POV). And they definitely have the upper-hand on size. But it is great to hear that the Auri's were that comfortable.

The Earin looks to be nice and small, I'd be interested in trying them to see how they are. I would venture to guess that the Auris could potentially be more comfortable on grounds that it's designed with a body similar to Aurisonics' universal IEM line. The Auris is shaped to hug the ear naturally. That said, the Earin may not need to due to its size. I wonder if they're still on track for their January delivery date.

One thing that has interested me as a passing fancy, I wonder if Aurisonics has the possibility of doing custom Auris down the road. If the universal sounds the way I anticipate then that would be a killer set. I absolutely love the comfort and isolation that comes with custom monitors.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 113
Interesting. Was the unit at RMAF fully functional or just a shell? I'm curious about two things:
Battery life, and how it's gonna stay lodged in your ear while engaging in physical activity. I'm guessing the final product will have ear hooks of some kind? I'm also guessing their proprietary sure seal tips will help with that as well

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 113
i'm curious if there will be a built in mic as well

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 113
Interesting. Was the unit at RMAF fully functional or just a shell? I'm curious about two things:
Battery life, and how it's gonna stay lodged in your ear while engaging in physical activity. I'm guessing the final product will have ear hooks of some kind? I'm also guessing their proprietary sure seal tips will help with that as well

The prototype wasn't the final version but it was pretty far along in the process. I'm still limited on what I can say about it so I'll refrain from the battery life question. We'll know more about battery life when the Kickstarter goes live or if more details are released before then.

If the final version has ear hooks then they weren't on the model I saw. The SureSeal tips that were used did a great job of holding the Auris in place but I'll admit I wasn't doing anything strenuous like exercise so I wasn't testing the grip. I did twist and turn my head and I didn't feel any movement at all, so at least with normal body movements they should hold in place quite well. I also had to tug slightly to remove the Auris, it wasn't something that just slipped out with trying.

The Dash doesn't use any form of ear clip that I've seen either, so I think that the fact that these headphones are designed to rest in the ear causes a stable seal that doesn't easily come loose.

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 113
Cool. There's been a lot of discussion about this in the Rockets thread over the past few pages. Can we get a mod to copy that over to here? Can't wait for it.

Where is the Kick starter page, BTW?

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 113
It hasn't posted yet, unfortunately. I read through the comments on the Aurisonics Rockets campaign and it seems that Dale is waiting until all of the backers are sorted on the Rockets before launching the Auris. I do a search for the campaign every day and I have an email alert set up that's supposed to notify me when it goes live as well. Hopefully soon as I'm quite excited for the Auris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back