Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Nov 19, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,246 of 1,636
I usually don't mess with EQ, but these coincided with the Lokius coming out and I thought they'd make a nice combo. Turns out I was right.
"Show us your knobs!"

I imagine I would make somewhat of a U shaped scoop to give the impression of a bass shelf and pull back a little bit of what feels 'shouty' to me in midrange.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,247 of 1,636
"Show us your knobs!"

I imagine I would make somewhat of a U shaped scoop to give the impression of a bass shelf and pull back a little bit of what feels 'shouty' to me in midrange.
The Lokius EQ quality is very wide, and the gain values don't match up with the dips in the LCD-R FR. So your mileage may very.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,248 of 1,636
The Lokius EQ quality is very wide, and the gain values don't match up with the dips in the LCD-R FR. So your mileage may very.
Are you saying there are large variances in the quality of the Lokius? I've only seen that type of comment coming out of another forum.

As far as I can tell with how the lokius works, it isn't about matching dips and peaks, but more about shaping the overall sound. If you want surgical EQ, you'll need 16-bands or a PEQ. I think painting with broad strokes is perfectly fine with the LCD-R.

Nov 19, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,250 of 1,636
Are you saying there are large variances in the quality of the Lokius? I've only seen that type of comment coming out of another forum.

As far as I can tell with how the lokius works, it isn't about matching dips and peaks, but more about shaping the overall sound. If you want surgical EQ, you'll need 16-bands or a PEQ. I think painting with broad strokes is perfectly fine with the LCD-R.
Not saying it has variance, I'm referring to the actual "Q factor" of the EQ bands. They are very wide, so bringing up region of say 6khz, you bring up by a large margin every frequency between 3k and 9k as well. That's fine for speakers since they are usually very flat, but this may not have the desired effect with some headphones. So like I said, your mileage may very.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,251 of 1,636
Not saying it has variance, I'm referring to the actual "Q factor" of the EQ bands. They are very wide, so bringing up region of say 6khz, you bring up by a large margin every frequency between 3k and 9k as well. That's fine for speakers since they are usually very flat, but this may not have the desired effect with some headphones. So like I said, your mileage may very.
Thank you for clarifying! That all makes perfect sense. I've been holding out to see what the loki max entails. I'm hoping for some old school usability with some modern twists. Remote control of each band would be awesome.

Nov 19, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,252 of 1,636
I've been holding out to see what the loki max entails.
Yeah same, hopefully EQ on the 4kHz band is what I'm wishing for. Would be useful for a few HPs I'm interested in or own:

r4G51Vl3Sr.png

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #1,253 of 1,636
Alright, I've decided to sell mine. Gonna list it tomorrow once I've had the chance to take pictures. If anyone paying attention here wants to get the jump on it PM me.

EDIT:

Jumped the gun. Going to wait until I am back after the holidays. I know these will sell quick but I leave in a few days and would rather not add figuring out shipping for these to everything else I have on my plate. I may also have ASR measure them before I sell them since I live by him. (I don't really frequent ASR but regardless it would be nice for the community to have measurements of these documented somewhere.)

Anyway. I'll reach out to anyone who messaged me first when I do decide to sell them.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #1,254 of 1,636
Alright, I've decided to sell mine. Gonna list it tomorrow once I've had the chance to take pictures. If anyone paying attention here wants to get the jump on it PM me.
Any thoughts on why you are selling? What do you like better? Good luck with the sale... I doubt it will take long for a buyer to snag these.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #1,255 of 1,636
The R is amazing headphone. Definitely the best tonality I’ve heard in an Audeze so far. Very easy to listen to and I haven’t felt the need to EQ at all.

Dec 6, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #1,256 of 1,636
Any thoughts on why you are selling? What do you like better? Good luck with the sale... I doubt it will take long for a buyer to snag these.
They are great cans! I honestly just have not been using them enough and feel like someone else might get a lot more out of them. I am also not really willing to void the warranty to try out other amplifiers. Maybe whoever buys them will be willing to do so.

The fazors are a borderline issue for me. It wasn't at first but the more I've lived with them I've found that I end up fiddling with the fit more than I'd like to whenever I put them on. I can find a position that the fazors do not press against my ears but not without some adjustment. Sometimes I'll have to readjust if I lean my head too far forward, backward, or even side to side. It is my first audeze so I'll bet anyone who doesn't have issues with their other fazor models will not have any issue with this.

I also live near a semi-busy street and own the DCA Stealth. The Stealth does not have as big of a soundstage but it is much more detailed and (to my ears) has a better tonal balance.

Dec 6, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #1,257 of 1,636
They are great cans! I honestly just have not been using them enough and feel like someone else might get a lot more out of them. I am also not really willing to void the warranty to try out other amplifiers. Maybe whoever buys them will be willing to do so.

The fazors are a borderline issue for me. It wasn't at first but the more I've lived with them I've found that I end up fiddling with the fit more than I'd like to whenever I put them on. I can find a position that the fazors do not press against my ears but not without some adjustment. Sometimes I'll have to readjust if I lean my head too far forward, backward, or even side to side. It is my first audeze so I'll bet anyone who doesn't have issues with their other fazor models will not have any issue with this.

I also live near a semi-busy street and own the DCA Stealth. The Stealth does not have as big of a soundstage but it is much more detailed and (to my ears) has a better tonal balance.
Awesome! Thanks for your insight. I too am starting to get issues with the fazors touching my ears. It’s slight, but I find myself re-adjusting them more often than I’d like. I really hope that Audeze offers a slightly deeper ear pad as I’ve heard that this issue is problematic with other LCD headphones using their new pads.

I appreciate your insight since there are so few of us that own these headphones.

Again, good luck with sale!

Dec 6, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #1,258 of 1,636

As a prior owner of the R I can tell you that the way the fazors are implemented here are different from at least the LCD X and I assume others. Pads are different for sure but also the X have a screen over the fazors that I found helped greatly. It went from thinking I wouldn’t like any fazor LCD to loving the X. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but it felt like the R came with the leather free pad, maybe they have with a different foam inside? The X were from this year with leather pads and they didn’t compress as much.

Dec 8, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #1,260 of 1,636
There's no dust filter on the LCD-R (probably what gives it the increased clarity compared to the LCD-X), as such the damn fazor knifes are touching the ear's helix directly...
I thought this would bother me and it doesn’t at all. Has anyone upgraded their LCD-R cable? I assume any cable maker could make me one if I specify a termination in 4 pin female XLR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back