Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 12, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #781 of 1,636
Nice Playlist.
Just listening some more tracks on my lcd-r, and 'Fever Ray - keep the streets empty for me' sounds incredible with this headphone. I heard details and effects on the song my he1000se didn't show at all.
The biggest difference between the LCD-R and the susvara that I found (besides the 5khz dip) would definitely be the amount of room detail the LCD-R could show. For example, songs by ABBA, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, ect. I could almost feel the shape of the studio being recorded in. The depth and size was much more apparent on the LCD-R, while those same features felt more 2-D on the susvara.

I found this to be true before and after applying EQ to the LCD-R, which is the main reason I sold off my susvara.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #783 of 1,636
The biggest difference between the LCD-R and the susvara that I found (besides the 5khz dip) would definitely be the amount of room detail the LCD-R could show. For example, songs by ABBA, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, ect. I could almost feel the shape of the studio being recorded in. The depth and size was much more apparent on the LCD-R, while those same features felt more 2-D on the susvara.

I found this to be true before and after applying EQ to the LCD-R, which is the main reason I sold off my susvara.
This could be partially due to the difference in power required to properly drive the Susvara. However it's most likely a result of the LCD-R being better able to respond to and accurately represent the small level changes in the signal that define the acoustic space. It implies that the LCD-R driver has inherently more resolution and therefore more potential than that of the Susvara.

This is especially true since you found this was the case even before you EQ'd out the 5khz dip. I still find it very interesting that the LCD-R can get away with a dip of that magnitude in this area.

Aug 12, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #784 of 1,636
This could be partially due to the difference in power required to properly drive the Susvara. However it's most likely a result of the LCD-R being better able to respond to and accurately represent the small level changes in the signal that define the acoustic space. It implies that the LCD-R driver has inherently more resolution and therefore more potential than that of the Susvara.

This is especially true since you found this was the case even before you EQ'd out the 5khz dip. I still find it very interesting that the LCD-R can get away with a dip of that magnitude in this area.
Honestly, sometimes I'll start playing music on the LCD-R without EQ and it will sound perfectly fine. I can't say the same for the LCD-X, Arya, or LCD-4. As soon as I use those cans I feel the need to EQ them. I couldn't explain why that is, but that's my experience.

And about the susvara, I was driving it off of an NCore 252mp, so I don't think it was a power problem. I could still hear the same level of detail between the two, it was just the way it was presented. Pretty much impossible to describe, you'd have to hear it for yourself.

Aug 12, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #785 of 1,636
What EQ application do you recommend?
Sense - I don't recommend any EQ application honestly. I'd much prefer a physical solution. (which I believe Schiit is going to have a very nice solution in the future)

I used the built in P.EQ of J.River, but I'd normally use Reveal with Audeze headphones. It seems like they know best what their product was supposed to sound like.

Aug 12, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #787 of 1,636
If only the Lokius was 5kHz instead of 6kHz. Also, not sure how useful 16kHz would be to people. Anyways, here's to waiting on the Lokius Maximus.
If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, there really needs to be two Peq settings at 5khz, one high Q and one low Q, based off of the FR. That would only matter if you are going for absolute reference sound; a small bump at 5k is really all that is needed IMO.

I use EQ APO with the peace plugin for my initial EQ testing. It's super in depth, has an auto-pre-amp setter for clipping, and several cross-fade and DSP tools that work just as well as any stand alone hifi DSP system. It's great for A/B testing EQ settings. Once I get my EQ parameters set up in EQ APO, I will transfer them over to the RME Adi dac, and turn off the EQ APO.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #788 of 1,636
While I am not the same seller on ebay, I am the seller of the LCD-R's on audio-mart.

Sense is spot on. Outside of my birthday, the agreement with my wife is that I can only spend on hifi what I can sell off. Despite the appearance, I am not necessarily looking to profit, but to raise enough funds for next purchase. Otherwise, I wouldn't have recently sold a decent pair of Utopia's for $1.8k and HE1K for 1.1k inclusive of shipping/paypal.

Given the current inflation of hifi as well as other luxury products, its my opinion the retail price under-valued the LCD-R/Jot-A given their limited status and their SQ that competes with higher priced headphones, which partly is why they sold out so quickly and a reason why I appreciate Audeze for selling at the price they did.

I've been going back and forth selling these given how their musicality just sucks you emotionally into the music, but I now have my eyes on the Audeze CRBN and I am a sucker for new tech, which means any profit will likely go back to Audeze. I love the Audeze house sound so if they can produce their house sound with the technicalities of electrostatics, I am sold.

The timing of my listing is also intentional as I will probably have them listed for a week and then return to Audeze if there are no bites or just keep and enjoy them (first world problem). I can't control any judgments, and recognize that I may just be rationalizing, but I do believe that the market value of the LCD-R's are higher than their retail price and will likely stay or go up with time given their limited status (only 67!).

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #789 of 1,636

The sense of space is really incredible, and isn't much affected by EQ. In fact, there is different sense of depth with the 5k dip that some may prefer in some cases. (Gosh from my playlist is one such case.)

I've been trying to come up with a way to describe the LCD-R's spatial rendering, as it's so visceral and un-headphone-like. It's almost like when you step outside on a super hot day, when the humidity is high, and you are enveloped in a dense viscosity that so tangible you can almost see it? That's something like what you can get from the LCD-R. However, I find this magic to be quite recording-depenent, and the playlist I made was an attempt to distill only the most magical ones. @chargedcapacitor can you recommend specific tracks from those bands I can check out?

I'm surprised to hear the Susvara is lacking by comparison, as I've never heard those cans but read that they are supposed to be good in that regard.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #790 of 1,636
I've been trying to come up with a way to describe the LCD-R's spatial rendering, as it's so visceral and un-headphone-like. It's almost like when you step outside on a super hot day, when the humidity is high, and you are enveloped in a dense viscosity that so tangible you can almost see it? That's something like what you can get from the LCD-R. However, I find this magic to be quite recording-depenent, and the playlist I made was an attempt to distill only the most magical ones.
I hear what you're talking about. I don't know how to explain it either so I decided to just not describe it. I don't ever want to come across like I'm saying something hyperbolic to make myself feel good about a purchase I made...and I also don't have enough experience with different headphones for my description to be anchored in something that someone else may have.

That said...I get that feeling you're describing with a lot of my music that I'm feeding it.

Sense - I don't recommend any EQ application honestly. I'd much prefer a physical solution. (which I believe Schiit is going to have a very nice solution in the future)
So you're saying Schiit is making something other than the Lokius? I looked at that...but I don't think it has enough bands for the type of adjustments I would want.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #791 of 1,636
My experience with the Susvara was that they were a "Magic Trick" - a very very good illusion and could almost pass as fooling me in some regards. The LCD-R is "Magical" - as Rubin states - the spacial rendering - the black hole - the void... it's what I've always wanted. When the gear gets out of the way and the music does the talking.

@Sense - yes, you are correct- they have something a little more special coming up. I honestly don't know what ALL it has going on, but it is easy to read in between the lines in the Schiit Happened thread. Jason is a salesman, but he is also a realist and keeps a poker face really well. You can tell when he is excited about project just by how long it has been teased. The longer the tease, the better the wait.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #792 of 1,636
So you're saying Schiit is making something other than the Lokius? I looked at that...but I don't think it has enough bands for the type of adjustments I would want.
Schiit is working on a Loki Max.
Freya size, the best EQ they can produce, price will be at ~1500$ though.
Not much hard facts known yet.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #793 of 1,636
The sense of space is really incredible, and isn't much affected by EQ. In fact, there is different sense of depth with the 5k dip that some may prefer in some cases. (Gosh from my playlist is one such case.)

I've been trying to come up with a way to describe the LCD-R's spatial rendering, as it's so visceral and un-headphone-like. It's almost like when you step outside on a super hot day, when the humidity is high, and you are enveloped in a dense viscosity that so tangible you can almost see it? That's something like what you can get from the LCD-R. However, I find this magic to be quite recording-depenent, and the playlist I made was an attempt to distill only the most magical ones. @chargedcapacitor can you recommend specific tracks from those bands I can check out?

I'm surprised to hear the Susvara is lacking by comparison, as I've never heard those cans but read that they are supposed to be good in that regard.
I was surprised as well. The very first album that really popped out to me was ABBA's greatest hits, about half of the songs on that album sounded spectacular, while on the susvara they just sounded great (but not spectacular). If you haven't guessed, I like my oldies lol. Pretty much any well recorded music before the loudness war sounds excellent.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #794 of 1,636
While I am not the same seller on ebay, I am the seller of the LCD-R's on audio-mart.

Sense is spot on. Outside of my birthday, the agreement with my wife is that I can only spend on hifi what I can sell off. Despite the appearance, I am not necessarily looking to profit, but to raise enough funds for next purchase. Otherwise, I wouldn't have recently sold a decent pair of Utopia's for $1.8k and HE1K for 1.1k inclusive of shipping/paypal.

Given the current inflation of hifi as well as other luxury products, its my opinion the retail price under-valued the LCD-R/Jot-A given their limited status and their SQ that competes with higher priced headphones, which partly is why they sold out so quickly and a reason why I appreciate Audeze for selling at the price they did.

I've been going back and forth selling these given how their musicality just sucks you emotionally into the music, but I now have my eyes on the Audeze CRBN and I am a sucker for new tech, which means any profit will likely go back to Audeze. I love the Audeze house sound so if they can produce their house sound with the technicalities of electrostatics, I am sold.

The timing of my listing is also intentional as I will probably have them listed for a week and then return to Audeze if there are no bites or just keep and enjoy them (first world problem). I can't control any judgments, and recognize that I may just be rationalizing, but I do believe that the market value of the LCD-R's are higher than their retail price and will likely stay or go up with time given their limited status (only 67!).

Hah, that's like saying I'm unrepentant about scalping these 49ers vs Cowboys tickets, so I can afford a better seat at the up coming 49ers vs Chiefs game. Good for you.

Personally I'm betting against you. I hope you do return them so I can get a crack at them open box on Audeze's B-stock section. Nothing personal, Bro.

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #795 of 1,636

Honestly, with taxes + the cost to ship and insure to the new owner $3k doesn't seem like too bad of an ask. I have no intention to sell mine but I can see why someone might sell it for that after the return period. During the return period it seems like it would be less hassle to just send it back to Audeze. With CA taxes and shipping you will probably net <$100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back