Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #856 of 1,636
@brams - That is the definitive answer! Well said - don't know why my home laptop doesn't give likes, but when I get to work later I'll surely send the thumb your way.

EDIT: TOO HOT OF TAKE FOR HEAD_FI AHEAD

[Innovation into the medical field where you are required to invent a material that does not exist as a combined and finished product. Rhetorical to some of the doubters - Has Elon put up a space station yet or created anything more than an adult RC car?]

RETURN TO NORMAL:

I don't normally listen at higher volumes, but right now - with fresh, early morning ears - I loaded up the brand new-to-me CD (LCD Soundsystem - Live at MSG) and I was there at the show for "Movement"

It was one of those moments you have with a headphone, when it does something you didn't think was possible... ever... reproduce a live rock show at a convincing level. No external subwoofer hooked-up, just the LCD-R and that LITTLE Jot-A... HOLY SMOKES

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #857 of 1,636
@brams - That is the definitive answer! Well said - don't know why my home laptop doesn't give likes, but when I get to work later I'll surely send the thumb your way.

Innovation into the medical field where you are required to invent a material that does not exist on this planet as a combined and finished product. Rhetorical to some of the doubters - Has Elon put up a space station yet or created anything more than an adult RC car?
I am the first one to give credit to Audeze where its due with the CRBN but the bolded part is really an extrapolation and a half lol. Anyway it's getting off topic again here.

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #858 of 1,636
Have you talked to Sankar in depth about everything you write about or are you just speculating?
Complete speculation based on Audeze public statements and Rosson's comments filtered through the lens of being a product designer with a background in analysis & startup ops. As I am neither a member of the review press nor an investor it doesn't make sense for Sankar to have discussed any of this with me - I'm an emotional stakeholder not a real one; just a collection of bits & letters on an internet forum who only buys two or three things from them a year.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Audeze's probably gotten a lot more "why are the headphones heavy?" or "[insert reliability/warranty question]" than they have "do you make an estat headphone?" That said, you can't overstate the importance of a single paying client who needs a high cost solution, a single large customer will naturally take priority for the business over the amorphous "mass market" you would sell a consumer product (the trade-off is your addressable market is larger than the one defined client). But, assuming we live in a world where demand curves are a thing, if they make them limited, it isn't really a jump to assume that their pricing is built on scarcity or offsetting development cost. Again, I'm not attacking Audeze, and to an extent, I'm not saying the steps they've made or the work they've done is wrong/bad; I am saying they could have taken a better direction and I'm saying that a void in a company seems to mean they're playing to the strengths of their people that are there (and we're seeing that void in the format of the business being run in a way that the tech can execute). I'm impressed by their technological gains, excited for new material science, and personally frustrated by the warranty process - to their credit, Audeze has reached out to me about the issues with my MX4s, which I appreciate.

Audeze improved their warranty when there was negative public feedback around it, we have evidence that the business does respond to market feedback. I hope they read this, see the demand for a less limited-release high trace density planars, see our desire for both more and also better from Audeze. Again, I'm hoping for a better Audeze as I'm asking for better from Audeze.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #859 of 1,636
I am the first one to give credit to Audeze where its due with the CRBN but the bolded part is really an extrapolation and a half lol. Anyway it's getting off topic again here.
I mean you aren't wrong - and that is completely fair. It was hyperbole for the sake of sensation. But, please do share other CNT impregnated nano films being used in the audio reproduction field with over 1,000 volts being applied.

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #860 of 1,636
I mean you aren't wrong - and that is completely fair. It was hyperbole for the sake of sensation. But, please do share other CNT impregnated nano films being used in the audio reproduction field with over 1,000 volts being applied.
I mean...that's not really the point. The point is that you can't say that they invented a material that does not exist on the plant...because they didn't. Did they invent a new utility for those materials? maybe...I honestly don't know.

Let's be fair though...there already are headphones that work in MRI machines and, of course, they do not contain metal...I don't know what material they use for their drivers...but they have existed for years. Perhaps the addition of noise canceling is novel...but I don't care enough to research it.

Innovation is a word that is used very loosely these days. That said...I don't need Audeze to speed up their product cycle, they are a healthy business and high end headphones shouldn't become obsolete after a few years.

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #861 of 1,636
I mean...that's not really the point. The point is that you can't say that they invented a material that does not exist on the plant...because they didn't. Did they invent a new utility for those materials? maybe...I honestly don't know.

Let's be fair though...there already are headphones that work in MRI machines and, of course, they do not contain metal...I don't know what material they use for their drivers...but they have existed for years. Perhaps the addition of noise canceling is novel...but I don't care enough to research it.

Innovation is a word that is used very loosely these days. That said...I don't need Audeze to speed up their product cycle, they are a healthy business and high end headphones shouldn't become obsolete after a few years.
"Headphones" used in MRI machines use pneumatic tubes to transfer the noise. This tech has been around for decades, and it sounds like garbage. The main point of the CRBN's use in an MRI application was too provide HiFi level sounds with active noise cancellation for patients who suffer extreme anxiety in closed spaces.

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #862 of 1,636
"Headphones" used in MRI machines use pneumatic tubes to transfer the noise. This tech has been around for decades, and it sounds like garbage. The main point of the CRBN's use in an MRI application was too provide HiFi level sounds with active noise cancellation for patients who suffer extreme anxiety in closed spaces.
Thanks for providing the info…but I was really just trying to reinforce the idea that saying they created a new material that didn’t exist on this planet is a bit out there as a statement.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #865 of 1,636
Where did they say that again?
They didn't - I did - but I'm a layman that doesn't dabble in carbon nanotube technology or magnetic imaging or active noise cancelling 120+db.. But I'm sure the defense departments have dabbled.

I edited my post to reflect that this product already exists and a few members here will start threads about it soon I hope, because innovation in ES tech has been stangant in Hi-Fi minus the Shure 1500. The Voce and SR009 are just modern takes of the same stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #866 of 1,636
They didn't - I did - but I'm a layman that doesn't dabble in carbon nanotube technology or magnetic imaging or active noise cancelling 120+db.. But I'm sure the defense departments have dabbled.
Actually I have, and that's also why I wrote this post with my perspective: https://www.techpowerup.com/285168/...bes-deliver-big-on-headphone-audio-experience

Also, it's ~65 dB of noise cancelling, 120+ dB is the experienced sound level in a typical fMRI session. I fear all these posts will be deleted by a mod sooner than later though since it's so off-topic to the LCD-R at this point!

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #868 of 1,636
Actually I have, and that's also why I wrote this post with my perspective: https://www.techpowerup.com/285168/...bes-deliver-big-on-headphone-audio-experience

Also, it's ~65 dB of noise cancelling, 120+ dB is the experienced sound level in a typical fMRI session. I fear all these posts will be deleted by a mod sooner than later though since it's so off-topic to the LCD-R at this point!
Great article! Hope they don't delete it.

I think it's safe too say that it does connect back to the LCD-R...ultimately the LCD-R and the CRBN are evolutions of existing driver concepts...I think lots of the chatter really is about wanting these evolutions to suddenly become standard and widely available. I would assume that since both require different types of amps...that the amps are holding back this stuff from supplanting their current product line. I assume we'll see more of the LCD-R driver and the CRBN driver in the future. Have to crawl before you walk...and walk before you run.

back to LCD-R...pop reggae really sounds nice on the LCD-R...
"Blackout" by Sublime with Rome and "Carnaval" by Pepper...the former has some nice holographic sound and the latter is just fun. Both albums are worth a listen if you were ever a Sublime fan growing up.

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #869 of 1,636
back to LCD-R...pop reggae really sounds nice on the LCD-R...
"Blackout" by Sublime with Rome and "Carnaval" by Pepper...the former has some nice holographic sound and the latter is just fun. Both albums are worth a listen if you were ever a Sublime fan growing up.
“Back to the LCD-R” - yes please!

Mine sounds like it is breaking in to get even better. I can’t say I have thrown anything at it that didn’t make me want to listen deeper. This are some tough cans to multi-task with because they demand all the attention - that’s a good thing!

I’m still listening on the stock pads and just dealing with the fazors on my ears. The sound is so good the discomfort disappears for a bit. When I realize the back of my ears need some relief I push the headphones forward. I can go 20 to 30 minutes before realizing my ears would like some breathing room again.

Horns and string-heavy songs have been my favorite listens. Chord Qutest > Topping D90 for my favorite DAC pairing. Haven’t tried any other DACs at the house yet. Would be simple enough to throw the Shanling M8 on. This setup is in one end of the house while another is on the other and I’m lazy. Actually, the truth is, I’m happy with the noise this thing makes as is and haven’t felt the need to experiment more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back