Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,066 of 1,659
Not fussed about the bit rate issue in the meantime. Besides, most times I actually turn on SRC anyway. Just chilling with the Traillii on a Saturday evening. :)

6A0B9A0F-0C82-43BD-9855-C18A8217563E.png

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,067 of 1,659
My new favorite headphone, HD800SA with M30 and WA22 lurking in the background. I am tempted to upgrade my ZEN DAC Signature v1 to the ZEN DAC Signature v2, could be a good stock stuffer for the holiday season. LP7 Ti could be a good alternative DAC with WA22 as well (via XLR's).

@FooFighter the chains of the gear pictured:
M30 (Turbo, Dual DAC mode, various timbres)-->various headphones via 4.4mm. Source is iPod touch, M30 is in USB DAC mode.
ifi Zen DAC Signature via Mac-->RCA to WA22-->various headphones via 1/4 inch jack

IMG_1830.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #1,068 of 1,659
Thx mate for sharing and beautiful pictures as always.
And HD800SA really is your new favorite headphone?
That almost sounds like you re allying with Vince 😉
As of interest: I guess the Zen DAC is more neutral / energetic and therefore a better pairing for the WA22 than M30?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #1,069 of 1,659
Changing between Apple Music and Tidal is causing issues with changing sample rates and muted playback in Tidal.
Once M30 is restarted and starting only Tidal, no issues.
Somehow funny: I was looking forward to Apple Music and because of the former issues with muted playback at the beginning of each song I haven't used Tidal as much lately.
Now as Apple Music is in but seemingly using Android sampling I am enjoying Tidal and Amazon like never before cause it is running without issues (besides the mentioned switching thing) and sounding phenomenal.

@Shanling I’ve checked my links. Both wifi and LAN connections are on. But still shows max of 48mHz for hi-res tracks.

Reported to software team.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 23, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #1,070 of 1,659
D88B01DB-CF84-4E97-B6AA-4C1EFE0E9275.jpeg9036C4B4-B8D0-41BE-8878-2D6BCB1321CF.png
Trying out the Airplay function on the M30. Works nicely to stream from my iPad mini. Streaming QQMusic. And listening on Meze Empy on balanced XLR out. :L3000:
when I click on airplay on my M30 it basically is a frozen screen? I've been tring to connect it to airplay enabled speakers? can you help, like what I might be doing wrong?

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #1,071 of 1,659
when I click on airplay on my M30 it basically is a frozen screen? I've been tring to connect it to airplay enabled speakers? can you help, like what I might be doing wrong?

For the photos here I was streaming from my iPad mini to the M30 as an endpoint. Not tried using M30 to send signal out to Airplay enable speakers.

Any advice @Shanling ?

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #1,072 of 1,659
For the photos here I was streaming from my iPad mini to the M30 as an endpoint. Not tried using M30 to send signal out to Airplay enable speakers.

Any advice @Shanling ?
Hmm
Airplay on M30 means to connect from your Idevice to M30 as a target but not vice versa.
Bluetooth should work the other way around but not Airplay as far as I know.

Sep 24, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,073 of 1,659
Hmm
Airplay on M30 means to connect from your Idevice to M30 as a target but not vice versa.
Bluetooth should work the other way around but not Airplay as far as I know.
Thank you all; I was thinking about what @Kiats said, and enabled airplay on my M30, M8 and Vifa Copenhagen 2.0 speakers, and they all show up on my iPhone as a connection or target. I just thought there was a way to stream from the M30 as an output over wifi, rather than bluetooth. There are some apps that allow you to do that, like Roon, and i believe DLNA apps. Just trying to understand M30s capabilities as a network device. As a target receiving lossless music, the stream is playing through the M30 DAC, as either bypass, tube or transistor. So the M30 functions as a high-end target of the stream, as opposed to being a streaming source itself. Let me know if I'm missing any capabilities. Just trying to understand if it would output its' output over wifi to like connected speakers, as opposed to only through bluetooth and wired.

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,074 of 1,659
Thank you all; I was thinking about what @Kiats said, and enabled airplay on my M30, M8 and Vifa Copenhagen 2.0 speakers, and they all show up on my iPhone as a connection or target. I just thought there was a way to stream from the M30 as an output over wifi, rather than bluetooth. There are some apps that allow you to do that, like Roon, and i believe DLNA apps. Just trying to understand M30s capabilities as a network device. As a target receiving lossless music, the stream is playing through the M30 DAC, as either bypass, tube or transistor. So the M30 functions as a high-end target of the stream, as opposed to being a streaming source itself. Let me know if I'm missing any capabilities. Just trying to understand if it would output its' output over wifi to like connected speakers, as opposed to only through bluetooth and wired.
I have my M30 as a pre-amp and so it goes out wired to my desktop amps. Either RCA or XLR. :) Not sure if @Shanling and team ever contemplated output via wifi to external speakers.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,075 of 1,659

Airplay is receiving only on EA5, but that's fairly normal, as Airplay is pretty much iOS/Apple only as transmitter.

M30 can be used as a source with Bluetooth streaming, if somebody would need it. We do not plan currently to be adding some other specialized apps for Wi-Fi streaming to other dveices.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 25, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #1,076 of 1,659
USING THE M30 AS A MINI-STEREO SYSTEM, WIRED, WITH POWERED SPEAKERS, REVIEW: I've had my Shanling M30 since 9/9/2021. However this past week, i have been apartment and dog sitting for my daughter, and have had it set up as my source of "Stereo High Fidelity entertainment." I will share some mini-review /comments, after using it across the week, as a mini-stereo system. I'll do cons first, as I only have one:
Cons: Sometimes the volume knob sticks, meaning it seems unresponsive in terms of pressing in, engaging the system and being able to control; it's just rough and unresponsive. Generally if I have it set up like I have been, it seems fine /great; but becasue it has happened on more than one occasion, I have a bit of trepidation like its' not right? @Shanling let me know if this is a known issue, or a breaking-in issue or whatever. Thank you!
Next a shout out to Andrew @MusicTeck, for his great responsiveness and purchase experience.
Pros: I've read a fair number of posts and internet discussions crticizing the perceived utility and value of the M30. Will it be a white elephant in another year etc, etc.; will they produce any more modules, etc. I bought the M30 for 2 main reasons, to use with aplomb with all my headphones IEM's, planar and Sennheiser, and then the possibility that it would double as an stereo system if i desired. My experience is it does it all.
There are a few criteria that are taken for granted to support the 2 reasons I bought the M30: It has to have impeccable sound (check); Play up to 512 DSD, MQA; have a solid build; I used to have an IFI Korg Tube amp, so having that feature is a +; and lastly IF it has batteries,they have to be replaceable. I'm tired of buying products, that become obsolete becasue its' too onerous to get the batteries replaced, or it becomes "disposable." The fact that the battreies can be reasonably, easy to replace, and it operates on wall power is a must for me. Now my 2 main pros for purchase:
1.) Pro: to be able to enjoy all my headphones and not worry about if it can power them. I've already ascertained this and I have the M8, the Sony WM1A, Ibasso, and Cayin N8 to compare the M30 to; and the M30 does it all with out getting hot. So I'm an "old guy" and I can enjoy the M30 indefinitely, playing my digital collection on all my HPs.
2.) Pro: to be able to create an entire stereo system, that could fit anywhere, and I could take anywhere and enjoy the music. So this week I did just that by running a Vifa Copenhagen 2.0 Bluetooth speaker to the M30. Initially I had to wait to run it wired b/c I dind't have the right cable (needed RCA male to 3.5mm Male), so I did use airplay, bluetooth, and the included Vifa cable from the HP SE socket initially. Today I received my RCA to 3.5mm cable, and it sounds splendid. I didn't realize that the RCA's are the only analog line out. I learned that to make the connection you have to set the Line out to pre-amp for it to work as opposed to headphones, the normal default. I have the volume of the M30 set to about ~80, gain set to = High, and then I basically control the volume from Vifa Copenhagen 2.0 speaker or its' associated app. A good pre-amp line out could be fixed or variable, likely~ 2 volts, 2 preferably, but with the M30, it seems the LO is variable and On High gain I have no specs on what it is sending, maybe @Shanling can help. This would be good to know if trying to use it as a pre-amp for a turntable? Obviously I have a bit more volume headroom, and could go to Turbo, but it seems to work great at these settings. I've heard a variable LO could often range from 2-8 volts? I know the recommnedations is in such a set-up, similar to my living room system with a Benchmark Dac going to KEF speakers, is to set the the first upstream volume to near max, and in my case i have the M30 at about 80, and then use the speaker or downstream volume control the listening level. I know one feature @Shanling references for the M30, is it's a clean system, running on battery, and there's not a need for line conditioners and expensive cabling, and I have thousands invested in that component alone in my living room system. So when I compare this set-up with one that takes up about 15% of my living room, and costs 4 times as much, the M30 functions great and is a great fixed /poratble system, for small or big spaces, it is minimalist product thanks to the convergence of technology. I never realized there was a Sony product costing about twice as much as the M30 'till recently, but frankly while I never have heard it, I can't imagine any other product delivering such an impeccable sounding experience, significantly besting the Shanling M30. This is just an excellent sounding, audiophile grade system.
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0846.jpeg
IMG_0844.JPG

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #1,077 of 1,659
USING THE M30 AS A MINI-STEREO SYSTEM, WIRED, WITH POWERED SPEAKERS, REVIEW: I've had my Shanling M30 since 9/9/2021. However this past week, i have been apartment and dog sitting for my daughter, and have had it set up as my source of "Stereo High Fidelity entertainment." I will share some mini-review /comments, after using it across the week, as a mini-stereo system. I'll do cons first, as I only have one:
Cons: Sometimes the volume knob sticks, meaning it seems unresponsive in terms of pressing in, engaging the system and being able to control; it's just rough and unresponsive. Generally if I have it set up like I have been, it seems fine /great; but becasue it has happened on more than one occasion, I have a bit of trepidation like its' not right? @Shanling let me know if this is a known issue, or a breaking-in issue or whatever. Thank you!
Next a shout out to Andrew @MusicTeck, for his great responsiveness and purchase experience.
Pros: I've read a fair number of posts and internet discussions crticizing the perceived utility and value of the M30. Will it be a white elephant in another year etc, etc.; will they produce any more modules, etc. I bought the M30 for 2 main reasons, to use with aplomb with all my headphones IEM's, planar and Sennheiser, and then the possibility that it would double as an stereo system if i desired. My experience is it does it all.
There are a few criteria that are taken for granted to support the 2 reasons I bought the M30: It has to have impeccable sound (check); Play up to 512 DSD, MQA; have a solid build; I used to have an IFI Korg Tube amp, so having that feature is a +; and lastly IF it has batteries,they have to be replaceable. I'm tired of buying products, that become obsolete becasue its' too onerous to get the batteries replaced, or it becomes "disposable." The fact that the battreies can be reasonably, easy to replace, and it operates on wall power is a must for me. Now my 2 main pros for purchase:
1.) Pro: to be able to enjoy all my headphones and not worry about if it can power them. I've already ascertained this and I have the M8, the Sony WM1A, Ibasso, and Cayin N8 to compare the M30 to; and the M30 does it all with out getting hot. So I'm an "old guy" and I can enjoy the M30 indefinitely, playing my digital collection on all my HPs.
2.) Pro: to be able to create an entire stereo system, that could fit anywhere, and I could take anywhere and enjoy the music. So this week I did just that by running a Vifa Copenhagen 2.0 Bluetooth speaker to the M30. Initially I had to wait to run it wired b/c I dind't have the right cable (needed RCA male to 3.5mm Male), so I did use airplay, bluetooth, and the included Vifa cable from the HP SE socket initially. Today I received my RCA to 3.5mm cable, and it sounds splendid. I didn't realize that the RCA's are the only analog line out. I learned that to make the connection you have to set the Line out to pre-amp for it to work as opposed to headphones, the normal default. I have the volume of the M30 set to about ~80, gain set to = High, and then I basically control the volume from Vifa Copenhagen 2.0 speaker or its' associated app. A good pre-amp line out could be fixed or variable, likely~ 2 volts, 2 preferably, but with the M30, it seems the LO is variable and On High gain I have no specs on what it is sending, maybe @Shanling can help. This would be good to know if trying to use it as a pre-amp for a turntable? Obviously I have a bit more volume headroom, and could go to Turbo, but it seems to work great at these settings. I've heard a variable LO could often range from 2-8 volts? I know the recommnedations is in such a set-up, similar to my living room system with a Benchmark Dac going to KEF speakers, is to set the the first upstream volume to near max, and in my case i have the M30 at about 80, and then use the speaker or downstream volume control the listening level. I know one feature @Shanling references for the M30, is it's a clean system, running on battery, and there's not a need for line conditioners and expensive cabling, and I have thousands invested in that component alone in my living room system. So when I compare this set-up with one that takes up about 15% of my living room, and costs 4 times as much, the M30 functions great and is a great fixed /poratble system, for small or big spaces, it is minimalist product thanks to the convergence of technology. I never realized there was a Sony product costing about twice as much as the M30 'till recently, but frankly while I never have heard it, I can't imagine any other product delivering such an impeccable sounding experience, significantly besting the Shanling M30. This is just an excellent sounding, audiophile grade system.
IMG_0843.JPGIMG_0842.JPGIMG_0846.jpegIMG_0844.JPG
Glad that you are enjoying the M30. It is a great little music box! :)

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #1,078 of 1,659
I got my m30 for similar reasons, I wanted something really high build quality and nice enough I wouldn't have to worry about ever upgrading for my desk system that was nice and compact and didn't get hot and let me experiment with both sensitive iems and normal full size headphones. and also versatile enough that I could use it later as a streamer/dac/preamp direct into a speaker amp if I ever wanted to do that. I left the headphone hobby for a while to get into 2 channel speakers and all the luxurious fancy enclosures and faceplates of speaker amps made me not want to get an ugly headphone amp so I was glad to see something like the m30 available. true high end build quality and luxurious materials but not a full size component requiring me to put it on an av rack next to my desk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back