Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,007 of 1,659
Interesting.
Was using bypass most of the time without knowing this just from my preference

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #1,008 of 1,659
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,009 of 1,659
Yes, those , but you need to beware of where to buy. Most Sony murata 18650 is out of stock. Unknown places may sell counterfeit cells

Need 5 cells in the M30

Unscrew and swap, pretty easy

This place still have some
https://www.imrbatteries.com/sony-vtc5d-18650-2600mah-25a-battery/
However, keep in mind that the capacity is lower and will have reduced playback time , but shouldn’t matter if you mostly plugged it in . The stock Panasonic’s is also one of the most musical with great performances! Swapping out to Sony and other will show some altered signatures but the stock one is still very very good and with high capacity as well

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #1,010 of 1,659
Yes, those , but you need to beware of where to buy. Most Sony murata 18650 is out of stock. Unknown places may sell counterfeit cells

Need 5 cells in the M30

Unscrew and swap, pretty easy

This place still have some
https://www.imrbatteries.com/sony-vtc5d-18650-2600mah-25a-battery/
However, keep in mind that the capacity is lower and will have reduced playback time , but shouldn’t matter if you mostly plugged it in . The stock Panasonic’s is also one of the most musical with great performances! Swapping out to Sony and other will show some altered signatures but the stock one is still very very good and with high capacity as well
They don't sell outside of NA continent 🙄

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,011 of 1,659
By pass is not only the cleanest and the most resolving, yet also musical. But in the specs from M30 disclosed that the Bypass has the highest dynamic range and lowest noise floor. I am glad Shanling disclose the real measurement, or so it appears
Listening to this on the M30 right now on bypass mode on the UM Mason Fusang. Mac Mini > Melco N10 > M30. Impressive! :)

FFDD1BCA-BE39-4671-91A8-1A0EB981E1E3.png

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,014 of 1,659
Trying Bypass mode for first time...wow I may like this more than Transistor. So clean, excellent with Elysian X.
With each element involved, it further altering the original sound signals. In this case, the original sound signals are coming from ak4497EQ by itself.

Transistors mode: involving BurrBrown analog attenuations, but bypassing (skipping) digital attenuations from the AK4497EQ. This means the AK4497EQ is maximized out. So, BurrBrown is usually associated with warmer and darker signatures, and this is true as you compare between the 2 modes. However, with added analog attenuations, you further added the different distortions, and limitations of that element. This can be measured, and you can see the M30 detailed specs to figure out.

Bypass mode: volume is controlled digitally by ak4497EQ, and bypassing the IC chips BurrBrown, but directly going into the Opamps and buffer paths. So the differences between 2 modes can clearly be observed. This will further confirm that the more element being involved, the further the sound will degrade and altered, but since it is subjective, we have the options given to us

This is why I am loving the M30. Never a bored or dull moment. You love tube distortions ? Tube mode! You love warmth and dark analog distortion ? Transistor mode, and if you love clean and digital performances ? bypass mode. The magical tuning of Shanling is that even with the most digital performances intentions, you still have that exquisite blend of musicality, references, details. The unique Shanling house sound

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,015 of 1,659
Just bought the UP5 to try that Shanling sound that I hear often mention from you guys. Indeed, even this budget device sounds wonderful with my Isabellae. I think Shanling sound pairs well with them.

Next in my list now is the M9 or the M30. Just saving for one of them at the moment. I love the modularity of the M30 so it really attracts me... Argh...

Sep 7, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,016 of 1,659
Just bought the UP5 to try that Shanling sound that I hear often mention from you guys. Indeed, even this budget device sounds wonderful with my Isabellae. I think Shanling sound pairs well with them.

Next in my list now is the M9 or the M30. Just saving for one of them at the moment. I love the modularity of the M30 so it really attracts me... Argh...
You can’t bring M30 around but you can the M8/9
Unless you want to have a strong back as a form of exercise

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,017 of 1,659
this is a dumb question, but how many seconds do I need to push in the volume knob to turn it on or off? seems like 12-14 seconds?
also, it's sounding better and better.. break in is real, lul
If you are holding down the wheel for 14 seconds, you are doing the forced restart, which is not that well for the system.

After holding down wheel for like 3 seconds, you will get message on screen, to confirm shutdown.

When is the Apple Music update coming???

Seems software team now managed to fix the screen issue of Apple Music, so should be coming out fairly soon.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,018 of 1,659
Seems software team now managed to fix the screen issue of Apple Music, so should be coming out fairly soon.
That's excellent news indeed! Look forward to streaming lossless and high res Apple Music on the M30!

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,019 of 1,659
If you are holding down the wheel for 14 seconds, you are doing the forced restart, which is not that well for the system.

After holding down wheel for like 3 seconds, you will get message on screen, to confirm shutdown.

good... hope its done soon...

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #1,020 of 1,659
I apologize if this has been answered before, I couldn't find the answer. I have taken delivery of a new tube amplifier, Woo Audio WA22. It has RCA and XLR inputs. I will use XLR later on when I get the cables in, trying to use RCA now.

How do I use M30 as a DAC for an external amplifier via RCA (at later on XLR)? Do I need to put the M30 into a specific mode?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back