Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation Headphones from AudioQuest
Jan 29, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #301 of 422
That's really great to hear.  Thank you for your impressions.  As you continue to listen I would ask that you pay attention to the soundstage as compared to the Nighthawk.  I've heard some folks say that the Nightowl soundstage is actually larger than the Nighthawk which is very interesting to me being that it is a closed headphone.

Me too. Interested in more details, as I am looking at these to compliment the NH. Although, nmatheis and I have conversed a wee bit already. I don't get to listen to my NH's enough, sigh.

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #302 of 422
I thought the Nightowl soundstage was bigger than the Nighthawk wood, but not the Nighthawk Carbon's

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #303 of 422
I thought the Nightowl soundstage was bigger than the Nighthawk wood, but not the Nighthawk Carbon's

Why are we calling the NH, the NH wood now that the Carbon is available. The Carbon versions are using the same liquid wood,they just have a differently processed finish on them !

Why not just call them NH & NHC ?

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #304 of 422
That's really great to hear.  Thank you for your impressions.  As you continue to listen I would ask that you pay attention to the soundstage as compared to the Nighthawk.  I've heard some folks say that the Nightowl soundstage is actually larger than the Nighthawk which is very interesting to me being that it is a closed headphone.

Sure, I'll comment on stage soon. I can tell you that at RMAF, I heard NH as having a larger stage vs. NO. I'll listen to both and let you all know if this first impressions hold true now that I've got NO in a quieter, more relaxed listening environment.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #305 of 422
  Why are we calling the NH, the NH wood now that the Carbon is available. The Carbon versions are using the same liquid wood,they just have a differently processed finish on them !

Why not just call them NH & NHC ?

I agree, I would think calling new model "carbon" would make it easier all the way around.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #306 of 422
I don't know but I'm beginning to believe that the AQ headphones are in the process of rewriting some of the Common Wisdom beliefs about whether a particular design HP is more capable at doing certain things than a dissimilar design headphone can.

But the longer I'm a headphone listener the more I'm finding out that a tremendous amount of what Common Wisdom says can generally be attributed more to personal preferences & how many willing bandwagon followers there are.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #307 of 422
Subbed, Looking for more impressions of the NO and NH Carbon, thanks for your recommendation @shurealltheway
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #309 of 422
My original nighthawk is in repair right now, because of one channel of the thick cable cutting out (had to send the whole headphone). Will take a while before they come back. I went to my local store again to listen to the NH carbon and NO. There I purchased the NH carbon. At home I had the impression that it sounded different from the demo model, but I thought it was just another case of placebo. Still interested, a few days later I went back to the store and took my new NH carbon with me to compare to the demo NH carbon they had there.

I have to say that they sounded very noticebly different, which is totally not what I expected. They have essentially the same sound, but the demo NH sounded more open, more clear, with a cleaner bass. Switching between the two, the difference was very noticeble. The person there said that the demo NH already had more than 400 hours on it, and suggested that I let my new NH play over the night. I always was sceptical of burn in, thinking that most of the time, it is simply your brain getting used to the sound signature. However, I now know from my own experience that the NH really need to burn in before they sound at their best. Whether it is the cable, or headphone, or both that needs burn in, I don't know.
But for the people that get a new NH, I recommend that you do listen to Audioquests advice of burning them in, before you make any critical assesments of the headphone. The same probably applies to the Nightowl, though I don't own one, so can't be sure.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #310 of 422
My original nighthawk is in repair right now, because of one channel of the thick cable cutting out (had to send the whole headphone). Will take a while before they come back. I went to my local store again to listen to the NH carbon and NO. There I purchased the NH carbon. At home I had the impression that it sounded different from the demo model, but I thought it was just another case of placebo. Still interested, a few days later I went back to the store and took my new NH carbon with me to compare to the demo NH carbon they had there.

I have to say that they sounded very noticebly different, which is totally not what I expected. They have essentially the same sound, but the demo NH sounded more open, more clear, with a cleaner bass. Switching between the two, the difference was very noticeble. The person there said that the demo NH already had more than 400 hours on it, and suggested that I let my new NH play over the night. I always was sceptical of burn in, thinking that most of the time, it is simply your brain getting used to the sound signature. However, I now know from my own experience that the NH really need to burn in before they sound at their best. Whether it is the cable, or headphone, or both that needs burn in, I don't know.
But for the people that get a new NH, I recommend that you do listen to Audioquests advice of burning them in, before you make any critical assesments of the headphone. The same probably applies to the Nightowl, though I don't own one, so can't be sure.

The NO sounds horrible—horrible!—for the first 30 hours, then pretty bad for the next 100. Whether you are "skeptical" about burn-in or not, it's quite real and observable, especially with the NO. Leave it playing for a for a good six or seven days before forming an opinion.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #311 of 422
So o o.................. The other NO thread is locked ?

Kind of curious why everyone else who was participating in a civil sharing manner are now being "Locked out" of "their" thread due to some content by a few "Malcontents" .

This a hobby , not critical to the continuation of world peace or anything all that important to life on this planet as we know it.!

Could it be someone has drastically over-reacted here ??? (If something drastically life changing did occur, please let us know, so that we can prepare ourselves)

(Maybe an "Anxiety Management Course" may be in order for someone here ?!?!?!)

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #312 of 422
  So o o.................. The other NO thread is locked ?

Kind of curious why everyone else who was participating in a civil sharing manner are now being "Locked out" of "their" thread due to some content by a few "Malcontents" .

This a hobby , not critical to the continuation of world peace or anything all that important to life on this planet as we know it.!

Could it be someone has drastically over-reacted here ??? (If something drastically life changing did occur, please let us know, so that we can prepare ourselves)

(Maybe an "Anxiety Management Course" may be in order for someone here ?!?!?!)

Yeah, I over reacted here !!!

My apologies for being the antagonist here (I try to remain a pacifist whenever possible as at 65 it's a much safer stance to take : You don't want people kicking your cane out from under you)

The "Powers that Be" put a temporary lock on to catch up on what was going on (You can't be aware of everything going on , given the massive volume of threads on Head Fi)

(just kidding about the cane bit though: I use a pogo stick)

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #315 of 422
great that you included a basic frequency response graph to illustrate the impact of the pad.  @SkylarGray do you know if all 3 pads will be at can jam?  I listened to OG NHs at Stereo Exchange recently and am feeling pretty good about them, but definitely want to listen to some NO Carbons and a few other things before I jump on the reduced price of the OG.  I don't know which pads I was listening to, but probably the protein leather.

Am I correct in assuming the new Microsuede provide the closest to a flat freq response presentation overall?  And the protein are something like a very mild U?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back