Introducing NEO iDSD2! The world's first lossless Bluetooth DAC/Amp...
Sep 22, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 260
Can you clarify if this supports aptX LL? It's not mentioned anywhere in the text, but one image shows that it might. I am looking for an upgraded BT DAC/AMP for the PS5, which I am using a BT5.0 dongle that works well enough on aptX LL. Or even better, does this support USB1.0 like the Zen DAC and Pro iDSD Signature so it can connect directly to the PS5?

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 260
Just to ask, I understand that, though the vast majority of CD quality music never reaches the max bandwidth of 1411kbps when decoded, that in technicality terms the iFi Audio Neo iDSD2 can very realistically playback lossless Bluetooth streaming via Qualcomm AptX Lossless codec, up to maximum 1200kbps.

However, have you ever encountered CD quality music that actual hits the theoretical limit of the redbook standard (or between 1200kpbs to 1411kbps), and if so, how would the codec decode this?
In other words, would this not be partially compressed on these specific pieces of music at such resolutions?

Thanks!

For those who may not understand my question, here's What HiFi's breakdown of Qualcomm's AptX Lossless codec.

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 260
apt-X lossless is not the only lossless codec, there's also LHDC lossless but because it is backed by Huawei, the west pretends like it doesn't exist.

https://www.lhdc-audio.org/article.php?lang=en&tb=5&cid=6&ot=all

Just to ask, I understand that, though the vast majority of CD quality music never reaches the max bandwidth of 1411kbps when decoded, that in technicality terms the iFi Audio Neo iDSD2 can very realistically playback lossless Bluetooth streaming via Qualcomm AptX Lossless codec, up to maximum 1200kbps.

However, have you ever encountered CD quality music that actual hits the theoretical limit of the redbook standard (or between 1200kpbs to 1411kbps), and if so, how would the codec decode this?
In other words, would this not be partially compressed on these specific pieces of music at such resolutions?

Thanks!

For those who may not understand my question, here's What HiFi's breakdown of Qualcomm's AptX Lossless codec.
1411 kbps is a constant rate for a CD. 16/44 stereo uncompressed data. You can still compress it lossless (like FLAC) and can transmit the same content with less transferred data without any loss.

Compression does not necessarily mean loss, but you can just compress better if you don't mind some loss.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 260

Sem título-2.jpg

Sep 22, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 260
apt-X lossless is not the only lossless codec, there's also LHDC lossless but because it is backed by Huawei, the west pretends like it doesn't exist.

https://www.lhdc-audio.org/article.php?lang=en&tb=5&cid=6&ot=all

1411 kbps is a constant rate for a CD. 16/44 stereo uncompressed data. You can still compress it lossless (like FLAC) and can transmit the same content with less transferred data without any loss.

Compression does not necessarily mean loss, but you can just compress better if you don't mind some loss.

Maybe I was being too polite by not going into very detailed technicality, but yes, 1411kbps is full uncompressed data stream.

Before I continue, so that there is no confusion, let me just go over basics of compression so that we and others do not get confused as to the topic we wish to have a good conversation over.

When talking about audio compression, there are two elements to differentiate: data and audio.
You can compress a data file to be smaller, and be unpacked, using a software with specific algorithms and a good processor. This is akin to a ZIP file. That is what FLAC and Apple Lossless can do. This is typically referred to as lossless audio files.
However, when these compressed data files are unpacked, they ought to perform exactly like uncompressed files such as WAV and ALAC via a DAC; the data compression itself should not affect the audio decoding on a competent modern computer system and DAC.

Audio compression is just that, compression of an audio file's data stream and data file size. Popular examples include MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and AAC. This is commonly referred to as lossy audio data.
These are smaller and can have fixed or variable audio stream bandwidth.
This is also how the vast majority of Bluetooth codecs work, and take either a lossless or lossy stream and compress both the audio and file data streams for wireless audio transmission between compatible devices.

I understand the difference between these concepts.

However, the question I originally asked was related to an understanding I have that may, or may not, be correct.
If the former, then this is what I was referring to in my question is that, CD quality lossless data that is decoded via a DAC may not need to operate at full 1411kbps throughout the data stream due to the nature of the lossless music. That is the max operation of the lossless CD quality format.
Therefore, would this not mean that AptX Lossless does before some compression on certain types of lossless files that operate between 1200kpbs and 1411kbps?

Or, if my above reasoning is incorrect, do all CD quality lossless audio operate at 1411kbps, which, therefore indicates that as technological brilliant AptX Lossless codec is, it actually cannot be considered true lossless as it is limited to 1200kbps?
Of course, this is still remarkable and I'm excited that the codec exists, and hope more devices can implement the codec, but I'm just questioning if there is a bit of marketing wordplay in the truth of whether the codec is really lossless or not.

Regardless, I'm extremely excited to see iFi Audio to integrate the codec, and sincerely hope other brands follow, as this is a giant leap for wireless audio transmission via Bluetooth!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 260
Is that 5W RMS output? Since the Diablo was listed as having almost that, but it was peak, and the actual output topped out at 800mW or so, can we get clarification on this? 5W RMS in that chassis would make it get VERY hot.

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #28 of 260
Apex Adaptive 5.4 Bluetooth adapter!!

Check this out! I was looking for 5.4 support for a couple of my IEM’s and this has the latest Qualcomm chip to convert your favorite IEM’s! MMCX version here but they make all connection types including 2-pin. Considering it’s under $70$ - why not try it?
That’s freaking awesome, Dude! 😎

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #29 of 260
I saw in the neo idsd 2 manual that if headphones are plugged in, the menu only has so many setting options that the xlr and rca line outputs are on or off, but the headphone output is ALWAYS active? If so, this is a stupid implementation, because if xlr and rca outputs are used, even as a speaker, the headphones always sound... can't the headphone output be muted??? I'm not going to plug/unplug the headphone cable, that's for sure... that's what made me want to buy the neo idsd 2 product...

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #30 of 260
Comes with iPower 2, nice! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back