Introducing... me!
Apr 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Dave UK

New Head-Fier
As I type, I'm listening to my favourite tunes through the best set of headphones I own. They're simple in ear 'phones, white and easy to wear. They also happen to be the ones that came with the little iPod playing away in my pocket. In short, I own just one pair of headphones: the free apple ones.

Considering I am a musician and have been asked what I look like without earphones in, it has taken me too long to decide to stop pretending I don't need my student overdraft and put some funds towards an improvement in my audio experience.

I am a twenty year old student studying Engineering at Oxford, currently finding anything to do that doesn't include revising for my exams next week. One such distraction has been researching some decent headphones. I have decided to get myself a set of Grado SR80s to start with. At some point I'd like to get some noise cancelling headphones also for when I'm not at home or in the library.

In a way I hope I don't get involved too heavily in what you guys seem to do as I already have enough expensive hobbies, but I do want to enjoy my music as well as I can.

Dave

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 36
Well, welcome to the club. If you enjoy music as much as we do, upgrading to quality gear is a slippery slope. Grados are a good first set for rock and electric music. They don't need the amping like others (though they benefit from one).

As for isolating hps, iems are better sounding than a noise canceling can. Noise canceling also has coloration that will be noticeable.

Enjoy your time here and hope you get to go to some meets in your area to see how good some of this gear sounds.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 36
Welcome aboard Dave, hope we can help you spend a lot of money!
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 36
Welcome to the most expensive forum on the 'Net, Dave! lol.

I thought you were going to "big up" the iBud thingies there, for that I would have had to hit you upside the head :p

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 36
Welcome Dave, from another Dave, also in the UK
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Dave and welcome. Your life will never be the same again and your wallet will hate you for it.
tongue_smile.gif

If you stay here for more than a week, I guarantee you will upgrade a ton on your current headphones.

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 36
I started off with a pair of Sennheiser HD-280s ($90) because I was moving into an apartment and needed headphones. Unfortunately I've ended up with everything in my sig, and I'm currently looking into getting a new solid state amp...

Watch out. Stop while you can!
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave UK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine I will end up being persuaded to shell out more than I realised I could or should

You have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back