Introducing... me!
Apr 18, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 36
Dave, Welcome to head-fi!

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #18 of 36
MCC, nice to see another cellist. Unfortunately I haven't played mine in that last two years much due to a wrist injury, then a gap year and then university (and a little brother who is now much better than I ever was who has my beautiful cello!).

As for the Bodleian, I never use it. Nothing wrong with my college library, and its closer.

Question: do headphones.com deliver to the UK? considering the 'phones on the bay are going for the same price as a new set from this website I imagine it would be worth going there instead. As long as the postage isn't too much?

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #20 of 36
Be afraid, be very afraid. Run - Run - Run, LOL. Welcome to Head-Fi.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just remember that gear twice as expensive doesn't sound twice as good
wink.gif

This is an important lesson.

As said before, welcome and sorry about your wallet.
k701smile.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #22 of 36
Oh come on, mate, study hard and don't squander the amazing opportunities your education brings. You get beers and a SR80 after finals
tongue.gif
Hell, I'll chug a few bottles and buy some HD800's when I'm done. Maybe at the same time. But of course, careful with the opens, you might piss off a few people in the library...

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #23 of 36
I'm only in my first year, and always listening to music when working. No reason I can see for not buying them and the beer right now. In the library it could be a problem, how much sound do these things leak exactly? I mean, I don't listen to my music that loud when I'm in the library.

Also, they cost $99 on headphones.com, cheapest place at home is £99 (just over £30 or $45 more expensive).

Can someone suggest to me a good pair of headphones that are not open like the grados? A set for a similar price (roughly £65, $100) which isolate noise around them?

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave UK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm only in my first year, and always listening to music when working. No reason I can see for not buying them and the beer right now. In the library it could be a problem, how much sound do these things leak exactly? I mean, I don't listen to my music that loud when I'm in the library.

IF Sesame Street had a Muppet called Courteous Monkey. Courteous Monkey would teach keeping the volume low in public places.

Keeping the volume low in a library was also the subject of one episode each of Saved By The Bell and Cagney & Lacey . Lacy shot a mofo with leaky cans and Zack stopped dating a girl with leaky cans on principle. Heart breaking for Zack.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 36
Having never watch either of those shows I will guess that means they are terrible for leaking sound? I don't want a pair of headphones I can't use in the library, they would be practically useless for me right now.

In that case, as I just edited into my post above, what headphones would you recommend as being the best in the same price range? Over the ear, noise isolating but also a good sound from them?

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #26 of 36
Welcome, and sorry about your wallet. This is a terrible hobby for it
tongue.gif

Oh, and ATH-ES7 would probably be a good choice. They don't really isolate much though, you really would need full-size more for that...

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #28 of 36
Welcome to head-fi! Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #29 of 36
Full size meaning over your ear as opposed to on your ear? I've seen people selling 'full size' grado sr80i headphones, no idea what it means. I don't mind if they go over my ear instead of on my ear, that might even be better for me. I just want the best sound quality for under $100 which don't leak too much and also isolate the sound around me nicely. Despite hearing a lot of good reviews about the grados, I think they will just be impractical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back