Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Dec 30, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #79 of 4,765
Dec 30, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #80 of 4,765
The new firmware has been officially release, I have included the link here and to the first page.
Enjoy!
http://www.lotoo.cn/page/default_en.asp?pageID=80

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #85 of 4,765
I met Xiao Qi from Infomedia, one of the two brands of the company with Lotoo. They are the leader in recording equipment in China and the main OEM for Nagra.

We met at the store of their dealer in Beijing. I have to say this store is incredible. It has almost all existing DAPs and tons of high end gear to test.

Xiao Qi was very nice and helpful and gave me a presentation of their company and Paw Gold. The intent of this product is to have top build quality, SQ and ergonomics and it is absolutely the case. They say it is made for quality and not to be a fashion statement. The jog dial is a sun in reference to the God Apollo.

First of all, the Paw is much smaller than it appears in the pics, and very convenient in one hand, even though it is very heavy.

The build quality is a absolutely great, this player screams of high end professional product. This product seems indestructible, it is impossible to scratch the screen and the buttons and dials are top quality.

The startup and operations are lightning fast and intuitive. Even though the UI is spartan, it works like a charm.

Now to the sound. First thing, the Paw has two gain settings and is very powerful, I do not doubt it could power cans quite well even though I only tested with IEMs : my SE5 and Roxannes, as well as the Sony Z5. I was constantly comparing with my RWAK240 and that was a good idea because I find them quite similar. Their levels of performance are quite close and their signature are fairly similar : neutral and detailed. The key differences are that the Paw is more powerful, has slightly less width and airiness but more bass body and more depth of sound. I would say that the Paw is between the RWAK240 and the 901 with discrete card in terms of sound.

Overall you can tell I really liked it, though I am not sure I will get it as it is really close to my RWAK240.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #87 of 4,765
I met Xiao Qi from Infomedia, one of the two brands of the company with Lotoo. They are the leader in recording equipment in China and the main OEM for Nagra.

We met at the store of their dealer in Beijing. I have to say this store is incredible. It has almost all existing DAPs and tons of high end gear to test.

Xiao Qi was very nice and helpful and gave me a presentation of their company and Paw Gold. The intent of this product is to have top build quality, SQ and ergonomics and it is absolutely the case. They say it is made for quality and not to be a fashion statement. The jog dial is a sun in reference to the God Apollo.

First of all, the Paw is much smaller than it appears in the pics, and very convenient in one hand, even though it is very heavy.

The build quality is a absolutely great, this player screams of high end professional product. This product seems indestructible, it is impossible to scratch the screen and the buttons and dials are top quality.

The startup and operations are lightning fast and intuitive. Even though the UI is spartan, it works like a charm.

Now to the sound. First thing, the Paw has two gain settings and is very powerful, I do not doubt it could power cans quite well even though I only tested with IEMs : my SE5 and Roxannes, as well as the Sony Z5. I was constantly comparing with my RWAK240 and that was a good idea because I find them quite similar. Their levels of performance are quite close and their signature are fairly similar : neutral and detailed. The key differences are that the Paw is more powerful, has slightly less width and airiness but more bass body and more depth of sound. I would say that the Paw is between the RWAK240 and the 901 with discrete card in terms of sound.

Overall you can tell I really liked it, though I am not sure I will get it as it is really close to my RWAK240.

Thanks for your opinions. I should add that Lotoo can be very disappointing at first listen. It definitely gets better with burn-in. I can even say Lotoo has sq which can change and get better especially in first 100 hours. After 100 hours burn-in, i started to say "best dap ever". 

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #88 of 4,765
I am very happy with PAW Gold as it is what I wanted from a DAP sound wise, finding the right pairing is still working progress but I managed to find some which has kept me really engaged. But on the other hand I honestly did not notice any burnin changes. 

At this stage I am working on building a rig around PAW Gold. CKR10, CK100pro,F111, K3003. e-Q8 and Th900 are not go-to gears however F111 proved to be the best pairing for me. 

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #89 of 4,765
  I am very happy with PAW Gold as it is what I wanted from a DAP sound wise, finding the right pairing is still working progress but I managed to find some which has kept me really engaged. But on the other hand I honestly did not notice any burnin changes. 

At this stage I am working on building a rig around PAW Gold. CKR10, CK100pro,F111, K3003. e-Q8 and Th900 are not go-to gears however F111 proved to be the best pairing for me. 

I am generally pairing my Paw gold with ciems. We even found a chance to compare with Tera and AK240. I hope i ll be making a comparison soon.

About burn-in, it can be about my unit, but at first listen, it was not spectacular, was not detailed as it is now. Of course dark background without any noise always there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back