Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Jul 14, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #1,066 of 4,765
I honestly cannot justify the pricing of either the LPG or AK380. Having said that LPG has had gotten far more head time than any of my other gear and that includes HUGO. My preferred sound perhaps is calyx M but the darn battery and the fact that it needs recharging and battery pack for me to take out has made a huge cumbersome to me. 

LPG got the sound right, fast charging right, battery life right, size right and fast file transfer. I dont think they have any plans to release anything to make LPG obsolete (if it is possible to do so) however if they do bring something in the future I do hope it has a better UI and preferably a large internal memory. I know the reason behind why they did not include but those are my wishes and if they can find a way to work with it I sure hope they do include those feature. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #1,067 of 4,765
I don't see the correlation. The LPG is less than an AK240 let alone an AK380. I personally love the UI's speed and I clearly prefer it's sound to the things like the Calyx but viva la difference.
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,068 of 4,765
LPG sounds great but to be fair 256 GB of internal memory plus an expansion slot for a further 200 GB sure can come in handy. I did not like how AK240 sounded, to me LPG sounded more to my liking however if the latest report is correct (the majority that is) AK380 has something to offer at a very premium price.

I don't seem myself upgrading anytime soon, I rather spend that money on getting a custom to go along with LPG but I do miss GUI. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #1,069 of 4,765
I audiotionned the Ak380 and the PG side by side. People will tell you the 380 is a departure from the AK sound which is true but then again not. It sounds close to the AK240SS, maybe a little wider and more airy, with a slightly more natural tone. But both are very different from the PG, which has more power, more depth, more raw feeling, but maybe a bit less width and clarity. I am not an expert but PG is very different from AK380. And now I want both, but since I have the 240SS, maybe I crave the PG more.

I personally prefer the LPG after I twigged the EQ. Out of the box, I found the sound a little "raw" for my taste. But don't ask me what I did to the EQ. It was basically a trial and error experience 
biggrin.gif
  Took me a few days to actually find the sound I preferred. I recommend trying it. You may love the LPG even more.

As for comparing it to the AK380, I echo what Mimouille mentioned. I found the AK380 has a wider soundstage and it seems to sound more natural 
confused.gif
Some folks reckoned the AK380 is more analogue sounding, But other than mentioned, I don't find it very much different from my AK240.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,070 of 4,765
So here is my new PMEQ setting. I also call this "LOTOO" as the user name (replacing my old setting) because I now always use it as the default signature of the PAW Gold.

This is based on the same frequency bands as my previous LOTOO PMEQ setting but this is simpler, just:
+2.2dB at 1900Hz with a Q of 0.6, and
-1.4dB at 5500Hz with a Q of 1.0.

That is it. It essentially leaves the dynamics of percussion and bass undisturbed, preserving the PAW Gold's wonderful sound signature. All it does is fill in the mids which can seem a bit lost in all those dynamics. The result brings that "lost in the music" quality IMO. I am quite pleased with it.

Here is the link if you want to download it and give it a try rather than create it yourself: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArZE_EYf-gfThLkbbYxwxNw8FBnz1Q

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,071 of 4,765
On an unrelated topic (since I like my LOTOO PMEQ setting both with and without the Aclear Porta), my custom cable has arrived for connecting the PAW Gold and the NXT-2AK.

This is a Low Profile Mini to Mini Cable 3.5mm, Pure Silver, Cryoed from the AudioMinor store on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Profile-Mini-to-Mini-Cable-3-5mm-Pure-Silver-Cryoed-/251486160881?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I had this made to a custom uber-short length. Bogac in Ankara Turkey is a great guy to communicate with and the workmanship is excellent. Personally I am not much of a believer in interconnects improving sound. An interconnect well-made from good materials should just get out of the way and this one does that. I am very pleased with it. Highly recommended if you have need for such a thing.

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,072 of 4,765
I just wanted to say that now that I have a 0.47uF cap that I mentioned earlier may work, I really like my simple mod. Just One 0.47 UF Silmic II across the higher voltage rail. The .01 on the other rail was voicing compensation for the too large 1uF. Try at your own risk but if there's someone in the US with a stock unit that would like to compare, I'd lend mine for a few. I'll amend that post.

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,074 of 4,765
Have you guys seen the monolith preamp which uses the opamp as lotoo?

Downside it only has balance out.

http://soundpotion.cart.fc2.com/ca18/13/p-r-s/

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,076 of 4,765
^ Feeling the love too.

And I have really hit the sweet spot for my transportable "sit-down A rig": PAW Gold (LOTOO PMEQ) > NXT-2AK > Lab 1 + large Sony isolation earpieces. I am simply without any complaint. It is kind of hard getting any work done.

(And finally no bloody portable amp; just a DAP with great battery life!)

Lab 1 is still not my choice for a walk-around / isolation IEM so I am working on my B rig. We will see how the Flare Audio R2PRO works out. I want to go dynamic and I have found the DITAs to be a bit brittle. Maybe I should revisit?

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #1,079 of 4,765
Totally OT, well kind of...  While the PAW Gold + NXT-2AK is, well, gold with both the Lab 1 and Kaede, I don't like it as much with my FAD 1601SC IEMs which I mostly use to listen to Classical. That needs a smoother more laid back source to realize its unique sound signature. The simple iPhone 6 Plus seems to be a pretty good choice to drive it.

Horses for courses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back