Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Jul 1, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,021 of 4,765
It would be hard to pin point what went wrong at where.

Sure. But I'm not confident anymore in the PAW as being an "SD card driver" when I need to copy files to the SD. On such occasions I will rather insert the SD card into my notebook.

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #1,022 of 4,765

Sure. But I'm not confident anymore in the PAW as being an "SD card driver" when I need to copy files to the SD. On such occasions I will rather insert the SD card into my notebook.

I have had similar problems as those you describe when copying a large number of files at one time. I've since resorted to copying one directory at a time.  I know it can take a long time when setting up a new player, but at least all copies have been error-free.  YMMV.  Good luck.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,023 of 4,765

I have had similar problems as those you describe when copying a large number of files at one time. I've since resorted to copying one directory at a time.  I know it can take a long time when setting up a new player, but at least all copies have been error-free.  YMMV.  Good luck.

Interesting to know that I wasn't the only one facing this problem. Anyway, overall I'm very pleased with the PAW, coming from a Calyx M I appreciate PAW's sound quality, form factor and specially its battery duration. The only suggestions for improvement that I have right now are:

1) correctly display non-English characters on the File screen;
2) PAW should be able to extract information from the file metadata, such as year and title of the album, album and track authors, and album cover (artwork). The fact that the album artwork needs a JPEG file in the file directory to be displayed is a nuisance.

My pairing is with Noble Audio's K10. While I desired more mid bass from the Calyx M, sometimes I find bass a little bit overwhelming on the PAW. Of course I can rely on PMEQ, just haven't had the time to tinker with this feature yet.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,027 of 4,765
I have been following this thread all the way from Thailand.  I decided to sell my beloved DX100 and replace it with the Lotoo Paw Gold.  I must admit that I have no regret whatsoever... until today. To be fair, it is not really a regret as the LPG is really an AWESOME DAP.  However, I tried to play an SACD album recorded in 24bit/352.8kHz and the LPG just refuses to play this recording in regular speed. Strangely, this recording plays perfectly on my Calyx M.  Really disappointing. 
mad.gif

Other than this, I have absolutely no complaint at all about the LPG.  I love the sound signature and the LPG complements really well with my Calyx M. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,029 of 4,765
  I have been following this thread all the way from Thailand.  I decided to sell my beloved DX100 and replace it with the Lotoo Paw Gold.  I must admit that I have no regret whatsoever... until today. To be fair, it is not really a regret as the LPG is really an AWESOME DAP.  However, I tried to play an SACD album recorded in 24bit/352.8kHz and the LPG just refuses to play this recording in regular speed. Strangely, this recording plays perfectly on my Calyx M.  Really disappointing. 
mad.gif

Other than this, I have absolutely no complaint at all about the LPG.  I love the sound signature and the LPG complements really well with my Calyx M. 

That's likely neither a DSD or PCM file but DXD. DXD is a format similar to PCM used so that mixing, level adjustments etc can be performed on DSD type files but there's still conversion involved. Honestly I don't see the point of DSD with modern DACs but that's OT. It was likely converted to that from DSD when transferred from the SACD. I suspect that the bit rate isn't the issue here but instead, the format. The Sabre does DXD but I don't thing the 179x dac does. That said, It could be a clock issue as 352.8 is quite rare unless upsampled. Original HiDef of true PCM are almost all multiples of 96k. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,030 of 4,765
  Is it an ISO or single file? I am curious to try it myself and see if mine has the same issue. 

It is not an ISO or single file.  My friend handed me this SACD album and it consists of single tracks of 200MB - 300MB each.  The album is a compilation of songs from Hong Kong serials composed by a renown songwriter.  I will be more than pleased to send you one of these files (as the whole album is too large) if there is a way I can upload the file here.

That's likely neither a DSD or PCM file but DXD. DXD is a format similar to PCM used so that mixing, level adjustments etc can be performed on DSD type files but there's still conversion involved. Honestly I don't see the point of DSD with modern DACs but that's OT. It was likely converted to that from DSD when transferred from the SACD. I suspect that the bit rate isn't the issue here but instead, the format. The Sabre does DXD but I don't thing the 179x dac does. That said, It could be a clock issue as 352.8 is quite rare unless upsampled. Original HiDef of true PCM are almost all multiples of 96k. 

Geez.. I really don't know if these are DXD files.  I am actually reading the specs of the format from my Calyx M. 
tongue_smile.gif
   However, I do find the bit rate a little strange too.. but again, I am reading this from my Calyx M. Not a very technical person or even an audiophile... just a person who appreciates great sounding music.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,031 of 4,765

Well...
All I want to say is that they are fantastic, dedicated, reference-class DAPs.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,032 of 4,765

Well...

To me calyx M and LPG complement each other nicely. I wish LPG was a little more musical, it has a nice warm sound but it is not forgiving and I found the sound is more monitor like (as in comparing active studio monitor vs home hifi setup) which means sound stage is not as large.

I am looking forward to getting a better pairing than Kaede II.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,033 of 4,765

Well...

Nice combo.Which is better for you?

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #1,035 of 4,765

Well...

Nice combo.Which is better for you?

The Paw Gold in the picture is mine. The other two are my friends'.
So, if you are looking for a "soft", "sweet" sounding player:
Hifiman > AK > Sony > iPhone > Lotoo

Lotoo is THE least soft-sounding DAP I've encountered. Maybe not a good thing for everyone?
HM and AK players are the most soft-sounding DAPs. I always want to describe this softness in terms of tuning, but I don't think that's the case. The softest DAP I've ever heard, the HM901 colors vocals without sacrificing details and overall balance. 

Man, it's hard to describe this "soft" in English. You really have to give HM901 a listen, against an iPhone, to understand what i mean by "soft". Because it is never mentioned in the world of desktop headphile. People playing with full-sizes care about soundstage, imaging, extension, not this softness. I cannot tell a single difference between AK380 and Paw Gold in terms of these real $#!t, both are fantastic. But I can say with confidence that Paw Gold sounds more "desktop" and less "soft and sweet". Which one is the true reference? You tell me.

As always impressions are IMHO. 
IEMs used in this comparison are JH Roxanne, Vision Ears VE6, SE5way, FitEar MH335 and Earsonics SEM6. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back