Introducing Lina: A new dCS system, purpose built for headphone listeners
Sep 28, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #181 of 215
I always thought the purpose of an external clock was to synchronize multiple devices to the same clock signal. In the context of one device only, in this case a DAC, keeping the clock as close as possible to the circuitry being clocked would be beneficial to performance. That's what I would expect. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here.

* I'm not an expert. I've not heard the Lina DAC, with our without its companion Master Clock..

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #182 of 215
There is no engineering based argument here for an external clock.

When you have extremely high performance DPLL's and supreme quality clocks, which are integrated into most well engineered products (e.g. Mola-Mola Tambaqui), there is absolutely no need for external clocks
There are engineering explanations for it – I would invite you to take a read of the Clocking posts aimed at exactly this here.

In short though, the Lina DAC does use two high quality VCXOs, the same used in our other DACs. No compromise on hardware.

Using external Master Clocks solves a number of clocking issues that cannot feasibly be solved within the same box - and none of which are problems that are unique to dCS. EMI from other circuitry inside the product impacting the oscillators, the power supply (or supplies) feeding other circuitry impacting the voltage rails fed to the oscillators, temperature variations (though of course voltage control or oven control mitigates much of this), physical vibrations causing instabilities in oscillator frequency.

If you lock the VCXOs inside the DAC to oscillators running off of a separate power supply in a separate chassis with much less going on internally, i.e. a master clock, you get improved performance. It is commonplace in the studio world (where we started out making master clocks).

I always thought the purpose of an external clock was to synchronize multiple devices to the same clock signal. In the context of one device only, in this case a DAC, keeping the clock as close as possible to the circuitry being clocked would be beneficial to performance. That's what I would expect. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong here.

* I'm not an expert. I've not heard the Lina DAC, with our without its companion Master Clock..
Exactly this. The external clock does not replace the internal oscillators inside the DAC, but acts as a stable reference for them to be locked to, mitigating causes of intrinsic jitter (like the ones I mention above). The oscillators located right next to the DAC circuitry are ultimately what is controlling the D/A conversion timings, but referencing them to external oscillators mitigates the impact of potential sources of intrinsic jitter.

Last edited:
dCS Stay updated on dCS at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/dCSonlythemusic/ https://twitter.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.instagram.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.dcsaudio.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf2YCUG5UfXwZapkuTwxLw info@dcsaudio.com
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #183 of 215
Exactly this. The external clock does not replace the internal oscillators inside the DAC, but acts as a stable reference for them to be locked to, mitigating causes of intrinsic jitter (like the ones I mention above). The oscillators located right next to the DAC circuitry are ultimately what is controlling the D/A conversion timings, but referencing them to external oscillators mitigates the impact of potential sources of intrinsic jitter.
Thanks for the insight, James.

Dec 25, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #184 of 215
Instead of the dCS headamp, you can buy a kick a** Enleum AMP 23R and also save some money (and use the Enleum as a stereo power amp too).

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #185 of 215
Interesting system from DCS, but I definitely prefer to have upsampler instead headphone amp. or maybe both upsampler and headphone amp. anyway I prefer tube amps (I have egoista 2A3 and Envy now) and dcs has never been famous for amps. so dsc dac + clock + upsampler + 3d party amp would be a very interesting system. and design also not very great - Auralic set looks much more interesting. Why they made great design for Vivaldi series - but not for Burtok or Lina?

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #186 of 215
Interesting system from DCS, but I definitely prefer to have upsampler instead headphone amp. or maybe both upsampler and headphone amp. anyway I prefer tube amps (I have egoista 2A3 and Envy now) and dcs has never been famous for amps. so dsc dac + clock + upsampler + 3d party amp would be a very interesting system. and design also not very great - Auralic set looks much more interesting. Why they made great design for Vivaldi series - but not for Burtok or Lina?
Lina Bartok Rossini dacs all do upsampling. Only vivaldi has a separate box for upsampling (which is also a streamer).

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #190 of 215
A bit late reading but it absolutely with Headroom even with Susvara-

The Lina Amp is definitely not something that's recommended, when for the price you pay you can get, for less, an Enleum AMP-23R, Zahl HM1, Ferrum Oor + HYPSOS, Volot, etc.

It's not a $9,100 USD Amp in functionality or sound.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #191 of 215
the lina amp is not up to driving the susvara properly...I heard it at canjam and I wouldnt pay the price for it many many amps out there for a fraction of the cost that are better IMHO

Mar 12, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #192 of 215
the lina amp is not up to driving the susvara properly...I heard it at canjam and I wouldnt pay the price for it many many amps out there for a fraction of the cost that are better IMHO
I have the Lina system, AB 1266 and Susvara. The Lina AMP has no trouble driving both very well. The abyss at 12o'clock and the Susvara at a bit higher on the dial say 1:00 o'clock. Both room to spare. I traded from a Bartok. The Bartok did not drive the Susvara well at all, so Lina worked much better for me.

Mar 12, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #193 of 215
I have the Lina system, AB 1266 and Susvara. The Lina AMP has no trouble driving both very well. The abyss at 12o'clock and the Susvara at a bit higher on the dial say 1:00 o'clock. Both room to spare. I traded from a Bartok. The Bartok did not drive the Susvara well at all, so Lina worked much better for me.
I agree. I have now heard the Susvara out of the Lina stack several times. The Lina Amp drives the Sus very well with excellent bass and attack. However, I think others might be trying to say that other amps may be better for less money. In my brief listening I liked the overall presentation of the Zahl HM1 ( though this is not less expensive ) and then there is the Bliss which costs less. I never actually went past 12:00 on the Lina Amp.

I did also listen with someone who went all the way to 3:00 with the Sus on the Lina amp. I was unable to listen at that volume. He did say he liked it, but I have to believe he had hearing damage to require that volume level.

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #194 of 215
I am not suggesting the Lina amp cannot drive the susvara I just thought other amos did a better job for a fraction of the cost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back