Introducing Lina: A new dCS system, purpose built for headphone listeners
Sep 16, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #211 of 215
Hello

I was able to compare in June 2023 in Lyon (casques headphones) the Lina dac with my Meitner MA 3, the 2 dacs being connected to my Viva STX amp, the headphones being the Shangri Senior or the Stax 9000.
I must admit that I didn't hear any difference between the 2 DACs, it was the lina clock that made the difference.
This improvement brought by the clock is not significant enough for my taste to justify the price difference. However, I hesitated for a long time because the contribution is clear, even if the meitner is excellent
However, Lina's representative who was present during this comparison assured me that Lina had to release an update of great importance, and I admit that I would listen to this dac again with its clock after this update to see if Lina has widened the gap to the point of justifying the price.
Do you know if this update took place?
In Mar to 1.1 i believe. The Lina Dac IMO is the best component of the three in the stack.

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #213 of 215
As I listened to in June, this promised update has not happened at this time. Thank you
There is a DCS specific forum hosted by them. Their support is on it and responds to questions, probably someone has already asked. I think it's a public forum. Good place to read what people are saying about the lina Dac and other docs components

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #214 of 215
The Zahl HM1 is 8K USD, 7K GBP (5,832.50 GBP pre-VAT).

Lina Amp is now a whopping 9.75K USD, 9K GBP (7.5K GBP pre-VAT), 16.25K AUD after a recent price hike.

The biggest problem I have with the Lina amp, in my audition, was that although it can make the Susvara's "loud", it didn't have drive to it in the sense that is was dynamic, effortless, FAST... not nearly in the same way the AMP-23R could.

To top it off for the price, it doesn't have pre-amp functionality or speaker drive functionality, doesn't have any analogue signal processing functionality, doesn't have variable gain or precise relay-based volume control. It has a good build quality though...

Sorry if I'm ripping into this too much but I'm really scratching my head at this one.

If you were someone who was thinking about getting the dCS Lina DAC & Clock combo, which is a fantastic TOTL DAC, you are doing yourself and the DAC a great disservice by pairing it with the Lina Amp.
This is what I said last year basically, and this is how it's going :

377358229_963935158034414_5891669799611174113_n.jpg

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #215 of 215
The Lina HeadAmp drives two Utopias easily with the Lina DAC output at 6V

https://homestudiobasics.com/what-is-sensitivity-in-headphones/

Quotes from the link above: “The Utopia’s Sensitivity is 104dB/mW, so it needs less juice to reach optimal levels...So with a headphone that has a 105dB of Sensitivity, only 2.5mW of power is required to reach optimal loudness (110dB SPL).”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back