Introducing Lina: A new dCS system, purpose built for headphone listeners
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #91 of 219
Forgot to say this: if you look carefully at the "SOTA" dCS amp, it features a $8 volume control. I mean good god, couldn't they have thrown in a proper 4-gang volume control that costs $25? If you think "best" amp can be built using a $8 volume control, I also got a bridge to sell you.

I don't mean any bad intention when I ask this, but how the heck did you end up with Emm Labs and not dCS gear ...given dCS markets their stuff like 10x better than Emm Labs. I think Ed Meitner hates marketing :k701smile:
To this point. I find it hilarious that even ROON is selling the Lina. This feels to me like overcompensating but we'll see :)
https://store.roonlabs.com/dcs-lina/

Jun 17, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #92 of 219
We'll have 2 Lina systems this weekend at CanJam Chicago in Water Tower B room. Stop by for a listen...

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jun 17, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #93 of 219
We'll have 2 Lina systems this weekend at CanJam Chicago in Water Tower B room. Stop by for a listen...

I sure will! Looking forward to hearing the Lina with the TC's.

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #95 of 219
am i missing something - the groundswell of impressions on this seems to be missing - has nobody listened yet?
I think most folks will not bother to go out of their way to give this system a listen if they already decided it is not financially possible. Local meetups and Canjams are the exception.

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #96 of 219
Initially, I was interested in the DAC portion of the Lina system. But I realized that the only true way to evaluate the sound with my Shangri-La /Mjolnir Carbon CC system would be lug my system to a local dealer to connect up to the Lina DaC. Too much trouble, too complicated, never going to happen. At the Lina's price point, I won't make a blind purchase. So, I am just going to wait and see other audiophiles have to say when this system gets fully out into the wild. Most reviews so far are from online sites that are selling the Lina. These reviews will always be over the top. Maybe it will take a year for the truth to emerge? Who knows?

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #97 of 219
agree - i can't see the amp being a game-changer against the other best-in-class amps at that price - but the DAC and clock - hmm - could be dave/Bartok beaters - canjam reviews are exciting but can't imagine it easy to assess with all the background activity

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #98 of 219
agree - i can't see the amp being a game-changer against the other best-in-class amps at that price - but the DAC and clock - hmm - could be dave/Bartok beaters - canjam reviews are exciting but can't imagine it easy to assess with all the background activity
Not a Bartok beater. Any current model dCS is a Dave beater so there is that.

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #100 of 219
Ask for demo units and listen for yourself.

Jul 6, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #102 of 219
i did - i loved it (bartok) - and i loved dave - very lucky to be able to consider either
Did you test with Bartok 2.0? If you already have Bartok just update and stick with it.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #103 of 219
Plenty of people disagree with @chesebert , no matter how loud he yells it so Dave is a moot point.
I plan on doing a home demo vs Dave to see if the Lina could replace it. I don't have high hopes from what I know of the Bartok. Which brings me to...Lina is just a neutered Bartok. It's cut down and won't have the 2.0 mappers to protect the ridiculously inflated prices on the Bartok. It will probably sound like Bartok with the old mappers. Though it does supposedly have some new filters.
Why it might make sense over the Bartok is you can get a matching set with the clock and it would look nicer, and you'll get the 2.0 update in 2-3 years... The amp on the other hand, seems like a fail, so I've already ordered an OOR, which will be the amp i would use with the Lina dac + clock if it really were to beat Dave. And I mean optimized Dave, not the performance it's shipped with.

Jul 14, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #104 of 219
Amazed at how many dealers are selling the DCS Lina, it’s a massive launch. Should make a killing, parts cost would probably be minuscule relative to sale price. Well done marketing team!

I am kind of sick of the sales reviews and impressions at the moment, looking forward to someone tearing this down with some brute honesty. I really doubt it’s worth the asking price and can outperform gear at one tent the cost.
Good/better digital is much cheap nowadays , it’s not 1990. Count me skeptical. Looking forward to hearing one to confirm.

Jul 14, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #105 of 219
I am kind of sick of the sales reviews and impressions at the moment, looking forward to someone tearing this down with some brute honesty. I really doubt it’s worth the asking price and can outperform gear at one tent the cost.
Good/better digital is much cheap nowadays , it’s not 1990. Count me skeptical. Looking forward to hearing one to confirm.
Sound’s like you’ve made your mind up already, doubt even a tear down would sway you judging by your post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back