Introducing Lina: A new dCS system, purpose built for headphone listeners
May 31, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #76 of 219
the dCS lina dac is very interesting, but the price seems more reflective of the premium brand than its capabilities. can the dac really be better than a holo may or higher-end denafrips at $4-6k. with the lina you do get the patented ring dac, headphone enhancements and a network player all in a relatively small form factor but i'm not sure that gets you to $12-13k. that being said, i would love to try one in my system.
It's relative to a degree. DCS DACs are indeed very high performance, and in some (technical) ways better than the May or Denafrips. However, these are different technologies and IMO DCS has a somewhat digital sound compared to many of the R2R and DSD DACs. DCS is about extreme precision, but if you want more analog quality or musicality there are other alternatives within the same price range, and even below.
Honestly, which headphone manufacturer would talk trash about any well-known hi-fi brand? The only thing any negative comment would do is to push Lina amp owners and possibly dCS owners from not buying Abyss headphones.

You just got marketed to and you don't even know it :k701smile:
Abyss are putting themselves on the line by choosing to sell this product and advertising it as the best SS combo with their own headphones. I can't imagine they would do that if it doesn't sound good with their headphones (or better than the previous favorite XI Audio).

May 31, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #77 of 219
It's relative to a degree. DCS DACs are indeed very high performance, and in some (technical) ways better than the May or Denafrips. However, these are different technologies and IMO DCS has a somewhat digital sound compared to many of the R2R and DSD DACs. DCS is about extreme precision, but if you want more analog quality or musicality there are other alternatives within the same price range, and even below.

Abyss are putting themselves on the line by choosing to sell this product and advertising it as the best SS combo with their own headphones. I can't imagine they would do that if it doesn't sound good with their headphones (or better than the previous favorite XI Audio).
lol..I think Abyss and other manufacturers all love enthusiasts like you - so easy to talk to and so agreeable :darthsmile:

dCS has made 0 amplifier product in their entire history of existence. If their first effort at a dedicated headphone amp can sound anything close to 20 yr old souped up dynalo, I would count that as wildly successful. My guess is no.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #79 of 219
So you guys agree that Abyss is knowingly selling and promoting an amp that is unflattering to their own headphones (and primary source of income) and lying about it...for apparently no reason? How does this make sense?

May 31, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #80 of 219
So you guys agree that Abyss is knowingly selling and promoting an amp that is unflattering to their own headphones (and primary source of income) and lying about it...for apparently no reason? How does this make sense?
"best" is puffery language; no need to attribute anything more to it. What is "best" to one person may not be the best to another and is dependent on many factors, even something as trivial as what the person had for lunch :beerchug:

I have no idea if Abyss headphones or JPS cables make them more money. I wouldn't be surprised they make more in profits from selling cables.

May 31, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #81 of 219
You can be sure there are amps that cost 10x less that are flattering to their headphones. This has nothing to do with that. dCS now sells direct via headphone manufacturers and everyone is interested they sell like hotcakes. Also, Abyss have quite a reputation for being...less than professional to anyone with influence who doesn't gush about their product.
I for one couldn't care less about Abyss in this situation, but I don't place much value on anything they say in general, and that amp seems grossly overpriced. Time will tell, but I see no reason to get that over an Enleum for example, other than as a vanity item, for purely cosmetic reasons (matching set).

May 31, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #82 of 219
Personally I'd give higher weight to a genuine independent reviewer. Not to say Abyss is not accurate with their review it's just that they have a possible conflict of interest

May 31, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #83 of 219
Time will tell, but I see no reason to get that over an Enleum for example, other than as a vanity item, for purely cosmetic reasons (matching set).
Having owned an Enleum, it's an amp you get for a particular sound, not because it is across the board better in SQ over anything else. If one is looking for transparent SS, you can find better elsewhere.

May 31, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #84 of 219
The Abyss team really likes the amp calling it the best solid state amp they have heard. Seems to be opposing view points of the amp review vs how Abyss felt. Hopefully some more folks can audition.
Abyss demoed their headphones with a very expensive system. I believe the total price of the system was over 10k USD without the headphones. I watched team Abyss on Youtube praising that system to the earth's end. Did it sound good? Yes, it was good. Was it that good?? I personally thought nothing spectacular for the price. That's when it hit me. These guys must not have paid the full price out of their own pocket.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #85 of 219
Forgot to say this: if you look carefully at the "SOTA" dCS amp, it features a $8 volume control. I mean good god, couldn't they have thrown in a proper 4-gang volume control that costs $25? If you think "best" amp can be built using a $8 volume control, I also got a bridge to sell you.

I don't mean any bad intention when I ask this, but how the heck did you end up with Emm Labs and not dCS gear ...given dCS markets their stuff like 10x better than Emm Labs. I think Ed Meitner hates marketing :k701smile:

May 31, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #86 of 219
I don't mean any bad intention when I ask this, but how the heck did you end up with Emm Labs and not dCS gear ...given dCS markets their stuff like 10x better than Emm Labs. I think Ed Meitner hates marketing :k701smile:

To answer your question: I think EMM Labs stuff sounds better and more organic/analog than DCS. Also, I knew about them originally because I was a recording mixing engineer and Ed also was involved in designing the original DSD ADCs for Sony SACDs. IMO some of the best recordings you can ever purchase or listen to were mastered as DSD to EMM Labs ADC converters.

Ironically, DCS also came from the world of pro audio many years ago and made top notch ADCs/DACs for recording and mastering, which is how I first heard of them. But they went in a different direction.

I got a bit defensive because I put some credibility to Abyss, as I've yet to be steered wrong with their headphones and cables. But, I'm actually a bit agnostic about DCS, and my experience with them hasn't been great. Their house sound isn't my favorite, I think it is a bit overpriced, and I think their past brand culture has been one I don't relate to.

Too bad Meitner doesn't make a headphone amp.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #87 of 219
Too bad Meitner has yet to make a headphone amp.
Fixed that for you :wink:

Now your gear selection makes total sense. I agree with you on dCS, but some people may prefer their house sound signature.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #88 of 219
You can be sure there are amps that cost 10x less that are flattering to their headphones. This has nothing to do with that. dCS now sells direct via headphone manufacturers and everyone is interested they sell like hotcakes. Also, Abyss have quite a reputation for being...less than professional to anyone with influence who doesn't gush about their product.
I for one couldn't care less about Abyss in this situation, but I don't place much value on anything they say in general, and that amp seems grossly overpriced. Time will tell, but I see no reason to get that over an Enleum for example, other than as a vanity item, for purely cosmetic reasons (matching set).
If hot cakes cost $12k each, I doubt they’d sell like hot cakes…
In California your $30k in plus $3k tax, and haven’t even selected worthy headphones/cables….
Whole new universe for me….
Great for anyone that can play in it. 👍

Jun 1, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #89 of 219
Honestly, which headphone manufacturer would talk trash about any well-known hi-fi brand? The only thing any negative comment would do is to push Lina amp owners and possibly dCS owners from not buying Abyss headphones.

You just got marketed to and you don't even know it :k701smile:
Of course they are marketing it as they are selling it! However, I doubt Abyss would make that statement about an inferior product. And they did mention it was when the buffered input was used. We will see what others feel at the shows. Usually DCS will show up with all the top HP’s to demo.

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #90 of 219
If hot cakes cost $12k each, I doubt they’d sell like hot cakes…
In California your $30k in plus $3k tax, and haven’t even selected worthy headphones/cables….
Whole new universe for me….
Great for anyone that can play in it. 👍
in Europe there's 20% Vat ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back