Introducing Lina: A new dCS system, purpose built for headphone listeners
May 28, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #46 of 219
As I said, I’d love to hear this system.
However, it seems to me the limitations in headphones, would be the transducers. I rarely hear differences between amps, preamplifiers and cables. However, I can quickly hear differences in headphones and speakers.
The circuit board is beautifully laid out…
I laid out a few boards in the past working in test engineering, and autoroute can be a great friend!! This was hand routed, and well done.

May 29, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #47 of 219
As I said, I’d love to hear this system.
However, it seems to me the limitations in headphones, would be the transducers. I rarely hear differences between amps, preamplifiers and cables. However, I can quickly hear differences in headphones and speakers.
The circuit board is beautifully laid out…
I laid out a few boards in the past working in test engineering, and autoroute can be a great friend!! This was hand routed, and well done.
I've been very oriented to electronics and cabling, but I have to say where it comes to solid state headphone amps I don't generally find a big increase in sound quality with higher prices. Maybe this is the one to buck the trend...which would be impressive.

I owned a Bartok DAC+HP amp and I can say that their DACs are high performance. For some reason it didn't really fit in my system, and was a bit cold/harsh sounding. Now I have something else that I like better.

May 30, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #48 of 219
For a headphone setup, this system is better because the DCS digital volume control in the Bartok sounded very much digital and you have to keep it between 70-95 for planars. Most of the volume control range is unused! An analog volume control is a good thing.
You hit the nail on the head. That's effectively two level controls, with the Lina DAC's 2V and 6V outputs, to really get yourself on the pot's optimal range.

I owned a Bartok DAC+HP amp and I can say that their DACs are high performance. For some reason it didn't really fit in my system, and was a bit cold/harsh sounding.
Lina's separates really could shine here, with various XLR interconnects that will yield a difference. And also physically separated unbuffered and buffered inputs to choose from – because they sound different, too. Ask to try the buffered inputs, if you have an opportunity to hear Lina.

May 30, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #49 of 219
Brief impressions of the Lina:

DAC:
The DAC was definitely the most impressive part of the trio. Whilst I didn't get to compare to a Bartok side by side, I definitely felt that the Lina did not have the same 'overly polite' issue that the Bartok did and I enjoyed it much more.
It kept dCS' signature refined sound, but had the speed and energy to back it up.
I don't want to say too much on the DAC itself as I don't like to give lengthy impressions on a DAC in particular unless I've spent a fair while with it, but what I would say is that the LINA is clearly a fantastic DAC and I hope I might get the opportunity to review it in future.
I'm fairly certain I prefer it to the Bartok from memory, and to have that in a smaller chassis, at a lower price (for the DAC alone at least) is brilliant.
In fact, I really was not a fan of the Bartok, but the Lina definitely had me tapping my feet and grinning!

Clock:
The clock made a pretty notable improvement, primarily in clarity of layering, how convincingly elements were portrayed in terms of their physical distance from you.
It wasn't that the stage got bigger, just that it got a lot better. Like everything was just a touch more in focus with less uncertainty in the position of elements in a 3d space.
Perceived resolution particularly during busier tracks also received a nice bump due to this.
I have to say, I really like that dCS actually uses proper word clocks, rather than 10Mhz clocks. And I hope more companies follow their lead.
There isn't really a reason why a 10Mhz clock would ever make an improvement, and in fact they should in theory always cause a slight degradation in quality due to the fact that 10Mhz cannot be divided cleanly by 48khz or 44.1khz, and a fractional clock divider must be used. Whereas native rate word clocks can indeed provide a direct improvement in jitter performance and it was surprisingly audible here.
Whether it's worth the asking price, that's up to the listener, 'worth it' is entirely subjective, and this clock is certainly pricey, but it definitely does make an improvement.

Amp:
The amp was unfortunately the disappointing part. It sounded strangely intimate and lacking in space.
Resolution seemed fine, but nothing particularly special. And overall it was just quite....well mediocre to be blunt. A bit soft and I couldn't find much to praise about it besides the exceptional build quality.
And ontop of that, 2W really is not enough power for an amp of this price. Trying Susvara on it sounded notably soft compared to more powerful amps.
Whilst 2W will be plenty for the vast majority of headphones, it's likely that buyers of the LINA will have higher end and hard to drive cans such as the Susvara, 1266, and Raal SR1A with the new adapter. And therefore more power would certainly be appreciated.
There was also a rather strange issue with the Audeze LCD-5 where it sounded honestly outright shouty.
Swapping to the Bryston BHA-1 (still using the LINA as the DAC, and not through a splitter, just moving the cables) fixed this and it sounded fine.
The BHA-1 also sounded outright better than the LINA amp with the Sennheiser HD800S.

Conclusion:
The LINA DAC and Clock were very impressive, the amp not so much.
It's an expensive stack for sure, but honestly gear of this pricing is not so rare in the headphone space anymore. I know several people using DACs like the Holo May, Rockna Wavedream signature, DAVE etc in headphone systems, and people will happily pay out for extremely expensive amps like the Woo WA33 or Zahl HM1 as well. So I don't really want to discuss pricing as everyone's situation is different.
What DID surprise me most though was that the system is quite a bit bigger than I anticipated.
I had anticipated it to be quite compact, as it seemed that the intention with the LINA was to provide a high end, but very 'desk friendly' all in one option.
But actually, it was surprisingly large.
If it were ~30% smaller I think that a lot of people in higher paying jobs who would want a compact desk system would be interested. But stacked vertically or laid out side by side the Lina is certainly uhm....chunky. Though it does look beautiful in person. I don't think I know of any company with better build quality than dCS.

I hope I might be able to spend more time with or review the LINA in future, as the DAC/Clock were really good.

May 30, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #50 of 219
Thanks for the impressions. I am definitely interested in the amp and look forward to hearing more impressions and to hear it myself. It's the only piece I'm rather interested in and perhaps the only one that I've noticed some slight inconsistent feedback on from the scant impressions around. It'd be nice to have a high end amp that can drive IEMs and headphones. @GoldenOne were you able to try the amplifier on high gain and 6V via the DAC with the Susvaras? I'm curious because I've seen suspicions that the spec isn't sufficient for hard to drive headphones, but then it's somewhat touted as the best amplifier that Abyss has heard with their headphones.

May 30, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #53 of 219
Brief impressions of the Lina:

DAC:
The DAC was definitely the most impressive part of the trio. Whilst I didn't get to compare to a Bartok side by side, I definitely felt that the Lina did not have the same 'overly polite' issue that the Bartok did and I enjoyed it much more.
It kept dCS' signature refined sound, but had the speed and energy to back it up.
I don't want to say too much on the DAC itself as I don't like to give lengthy impressions on a DAC in particular unless I've spent a fair while with it, but what I would say is that the LINA is clearly a fantastic DAC and I hope I might get the opportunity to review it in future.
I'm fairly certain I prefer it to the Bartok from memory, and to have that in a smaller chassis, at a lower price (for the DAC alone at least) is brilliant.
In fact, I really was not a fan of the Bartok, but the Lina definitely had me tapping my feet and grinning!

Clock:
The clock made a pretty notable improvement, primarily in clarity of layering, how convincingly elements were portrayed in terms of their physical distance from you.
It wasn't that the stage got bigger, just that it got a lot better. Like everything was just a touch more in focus with less uncertainty in the position of elements in a 3d space.
Perceived resolution particularly during busier tracks also received a nice bump due to this.
I have to say, I really like that dCS actually uses proper word clocks, rather than 10Mhz clocks. And I hope more companies follow their lead.
There isn't really a reason why a 10Mhz clock would ever make an improvement, and in fact they should in theory always cause a slight degradation in quality due to the fact that 10Mhz cannot be divided cleanly by 48khz or 44.1khz, and a fractional clock divider must be used. Whereas native rate word clocks can indeed provide a direct improvement in jitter performance and it was surprisingly audible here.
Whether it's worth the asking price, that's up to the listener, 'worth it' is entirely subjective, and this clock is certainly pricey, but it definitely does make an improvement.

Amp:
The amp was unfortunately the disappointing part. It sounded strangely intimate and lacking in space.
Resolution seemed fine, but nothing particularly special. And overall it was just quite....well mediocre to be blunt. A bit soft and I couldn't find much to praise about it besides the exceptional build quality.
And ontop of that, 2W really is not enough power for an amp of this price. Trying Susvara on it sounded notably soft compared to more powerful amps.
Whilst 2W will be plenty for the vast majority of headphones, it's likely that buyers of the LINA will have higher end and hard to drive cans such as the Susvara, 1266, and Raal SR1A with the new adapter. And therefore more power would certainly be appreciated.
There was also a rather strange issue with the Audeze LCD-5 where it sounded honestly outright shouty.
Swapping to the Bryston BHA-1 (still using the LINA as the DAC, and not through a splitter, just moving the cables) fixed this and it sounded fine.
The BHA-1 also sounded outright better than the LINA amp with the Sennheiser HD800S.

Conclusion:
The LINA DAC and Clock were very impressive, the amp not so much.
It's an expensive stack for sure, but honestly gear of this pricing is not so rare in the headphone space anymore. I know several people using DACs like the Holo May, Rockna Wavedream signature, DAVE etc in headphone systems, and people will happily pay out for extremely expensive amps like the Woo WA33 or Zahl HM1 as well. So I don't really want to discuss pricing as everyone's situation is different.
What DID surprise me most though was that the system is quite a bit bigger than I anticipated.
I had anticipated it to be quite compact, as it seemed that the intention with the LINA was to provide a high end, but very 'desk friendly' all in one option.
But actually, it was surprisingly large.
If it were ~30% smaller I think that a lot of people in higher paying jobs who would want a compact desk system would be interested. But stacked vertically or laid out side by side the Lina is certainly uhm....chunky. Though it does look beautiful in person. I don't think I know of any company with better build quality than dCS.

I hope I might be able to spend more time with or review the LINA in future, as the DAC/Clock were really good.
Might be worthwhile to do an actual comparison with Bartok with the latest 2.0 firmware (upgraded mapper).

May 30, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #54 of 219
Oops
I think it’s the HE-1 Orpheus…
HE-1 is not magic and may not be a good fit for certain music genre or personal preference. The inability to switch out the integrated amp is the killer. If you just want a desktop conversation piece for your corner office, then sure why not. The thing is super impressive in person when starting up

May 30, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #55 of 219
Might be worthwhile to do an actual comparison with Bartok with the latest 2.0 firmware (upgraded mapper).
I'd love to do so if the opportunity arises.
I don't know anyone with a Bartok near me currently though unfortunately.

May 30, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #56 of 219
I'd love to do so if the opportunity arises.
I don't know anyone with a Bartok near me currently though unfortunately.
Yeah...the most difficult part of doing any review is having multiple products on hand to compare. You almost have to make it a business so you can keep like 10+ different dacs on hand to do a proper review - you gotta warehouse and insure these expensive toys.

I presume you kept good listening notes when you did your Bartok review, correct? Auditory memory is generally garbage for review purposes.

May 30, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #57 of 219
Yeah...the most difficult part of doing any review is having multiple products on hand to compare. You almost have to make it a business so you can keep like 10+ different dacs on hand to do a proper review - you gotta warehouse and insure these expensive toys.

I presume you kept good listening notes when you did your Bartok review, correct? Auditory memory is generally garbage for review purposes.
I did yes, I also have the video review up on it.

And yeah it can be quite tricky especially with the higher end stuff. Can't really keep lots of stuff on hand :p

May 30, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #58 of 219
I did yes, I also have the video review up on it.

And yeah it can be quite tricky especially with the higher end stuff. Can't really keep lots of stuff on hand :p
when you get around to review LINA, could you also use an external dCS bridge (or another external bridge) and not rely on the internal bridge? I found external bridge can sometime sound better than internal bridge.

May 30, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #59 of 219
when you get around to review LINA, could you also use an external dCS bridge (or another external bridge) and not rely on the internal bridge? I found external bridge can sometime sound better than internal bridge.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to review LINA.
I imagine after my Bartok review dCS won't be keen to lend me anything. And as far as I know none of my friends are planning to purchase the LINA at the moment. So probably will need to wait until the opportunity arises.

I would love to do so though, I really did like the DAC when trying it out the other day.

May 30, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #60 of 219
I'm not sure if I'll be able to review LINA.
I imagine after my Bartok review dCS won't be keen to lend me anything. And as far as I know none of my friends are planning to purchase the LINA at the moment. So probably will need to wait until the opportunity arises.

I would love to do so though, I really did like the DAC when trying it out the other day.
You just gotta redeem yourself with Bartok 2.0 review :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back