Introducing hip dac 3! The Legacy Continues!
Dec 27, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #151 of 217
I do not want to pay for MQA ergo I will buy when it is no longer on the device in any way at all. I can wait. :beerchug:

I'm totally anti MQA 100% but I still bought a hip dac 3. It's sounds amazing and not just for the asking price. Truly a device that hits well above the asking price which is a rarity these days. No flat 2d sound with huge ultra spiked highs giving the false perception of "detail and clarity"

It sounds slightly warm but quite neutral with good extension on both ends and sounds quite analog. Can power a lot of headphones more than adequately. Much better than anything I've heard at $200 range. Including cheapo $100 amp and $100 DAC stacks from anyone. Don't let the MQA spoil your fun it will probably be wiped away by firmware anyway and you'd never know it's there. I'm still glad I bought one and I usually listen to a $700 and $1400 multibit dacs and amps that's that are $400 - $1400 new.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #152 of 217
Why so much hate against MQA? 😊
Doesn’t sound bad (I know, because of filters)
It’s like the airbag on your car. You don’t have to use it but it’s nice it is there (I know this remark doesn’t make any sense 🤪).
Because mqa is a scam and a farce. Format doesn't matter mastering does from Redbook on up.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #153 of 217
I'm totally anti MQA 100% but I still bought a hip dac 3. It's sounds amazing and not just for the asking price. Truly a device that hits well above the asking price which is a rarity these days. No flat 2d sound with huge ultra spiked highs giving the false perception of "detail and clarity"

It sounds slightly warm but quite neutral with good extension on both ends and sounds quite analog. Can power a lot of headphones more than adequately. Much better than anything I've heard at $200 range. Including cheapo $100 amp and $100 DAC stacks from anyone. Don't let the MQA spoil your fun it will probably be wiped away by firmware anyway and you'd never know it's there. I'm still glad I bought one and I usually listen to a $700 and $1400 multibit dacs and amps that's that are $400 - $1400 new.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on The HPD 3, we appreciate the praise! Enjoy!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 27, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #154 of 217
It’s like the airbag on your car. You don’t have to use it but it’s nice it is there (I know this remark doesn’t make any sense 🤪).

That is just his pet hate. It seems every time I stumble upon a post from him it has MQA hate in it. Obviously that isn’t technically accurate but it sure seems that is the case.

I get it in principle but it isn’t like the device does anything different or wrong with PCM music and how much additional cost does each individual unit carry for MQA licensing? My guess is very little cost and certainly not enough to not buy something you otherwise want.

In my opinion life is to short to let such things detract from one’s enjoyment.

Yes MQA has its issues and I get that people see it as a farce, great, move on and if enough people think the same then MQA will fail permanently even if it hasn’t just yet.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #155 of 217
Because mqa is a scam and a farce. Format doesn't matter mastering does from Redbook on up.
You know, you are absolutely right! I did a lot of reading about MQA and it is a total scam. Snake oil. But, to me, it doesn’t sound that wrong even if it’s lossy (despite their claim). I think the filters they use are not that bad. In a A/B comparison I find MQA sounding more “fun” than Apple hi-res. That being said, after my Tidal trial ends I will stay with Apple because I got into this hobby to chase the sound that comes closest as the artist intended and Tidal obviously doesn’t.
Still it was fun to listen to.
If only Apple would ditch iTunes. This software got hundreds of updates over the years but never did get any better.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #156 of 217
That is just his pet hate. It seems every time I stumble upon a post from him it has MQA hate in it. Obviously that isn’t technically accurate but it sure seems that is the case.

I get it in principle but it isn’t like the device does anything different or wrong with PCM music and how much additional cost does each individual unit carry for MQA licensing? My guess is very little cost and certainly not enough to not buy something you otherwise want.

Yes MQA has its issues and I get that people see it as a farce, great, move on and if enough people think the same then MQA will fail permanently even if it hasn’t just yet.
I 100% agree.

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #158 of 217
Can the hip-dac-3 play hi-res files from an iPhone 14 using a Lightning to USB-C cable alone? Or does it require the Apple Camera Connector Kit?
No, plays hi-res out of the box. No kit required.
I got hi-res with Deezer, Tidal, Amazon music and Apple music.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #159 of 217
And...

TechRadar has now given our Hip-Dac 3 it's "Best For Design" award for 2023!! Thank You, TechRadar!!

https://www.techradar.com/news/phon...ree-dacs-will-keep-the-music-spinning-1321629

1703712489762.png

Review is Here!

https://www.techradar.com/news/phon...1629#section-the-best-portable-dac-for-design

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 28, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #160 of 217
Dec 28, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #161 of 217
An airbag has a purpose, to hopefully save someone's life. MQA too has a purpose, to take your money and give nothing in return. I have tested it and there is no difference. I'll keep my money instead of giving it to a canard spewing shill like Bob. :beerchug:

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #162 of 217

Oh, really? I tested MQA several years ago at a show using a very nice Onkyo DAP and I was in complete control of the device. I switched back and forth without ever knowing which version of the music I was listening to or looking for the KMART blue light of assurance that MQA was busy unfolding your musical laundry. No difference. If you wish to give your money to a shill like MQA's creator is, then you do so. Not this little toad. A recent dac/amp model came out from another manufacturer without MQA and (if my poor memory serves me!) it was approximately $100 less expensive than the MQA model.

That is substantial to such as I. You? Apparently not.

"Pet hate"? LOL! Do not blame me if you "stumble" on my words of truth. I take no broffense from your words as they are flaccid and fall to the wayside as ineffective as MQA is. :beerchug:

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #163 of 217
For the record, I recently bought a FiiO KA5 when it came out sans MQA! I had said I would buy one of their products (that I could afford!) again when MQA was not embedded in said product. It was affordable and I bought it. Affordability is important to me as I am a handicapable seasoned citizen and must live according to my means!

HUZZAH! :beerchug:

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #164 of 217
Oh, really? I tested MQA several years ago at a show using a very nice Onkyo DAP and I was in complete control of the device. I switched back and forth without ever knowing which version of the music I was listening to or looking for the KMART blue light of assurance that MQA was busy unfolding your musical laundry. No difference. If you wish to give your money to a shill like MQA's creator is, then you do so. Not this little toad. A recent dac/amp model came out from another manufacturer without MQA and (if my poor memory serves me!) it was approximately $100 less expensive than the MQA model.

That is substantial to such as I. You? Apparently not.

"Pet hate"? LOL! Do not blame me if you "stumble" on my words of truth. I take no broffense from your words as they are flaccid and fall to the wayside as ineffective as MQA is. :beerchug:

OK so you heard no difference in sound quality despite that it is lossy and has a relatively small fill size compared to hi res PCM, I would have thought that right there was a plus point to MQA.

Odd that you should say you heard no difference in sound but then in your last sentence said it is ineffective. Seems it is quite effective if it is indistinguishable from high quality PCM, what else does it need to do but sound good and it seems you thought it did. Any change in sound would have to result from it being manipulated, the aim was for it to sound “as intended” but have a smaller file size due to the compression, sounds like you proved to yourself that it does indeed do just that.

I know the device you are referring to, and just because it was marketed at $100 less does not mean that the MQA fee on each device was $100. How much does a Hip Dac 3 cost ? A quick search says $199 USD, you seriously think that fully half of the cost is the MQA fee and without it the thing would cost $99 ? I think not.

And how about chill out toad.

I didn’t “blame” you for anything I just said that when I occasionally stumble upon your posts there is often MQA hate. That is fine, if you read my post properly you would see that I actually said I can understand your criticism but that it just didn’t bother me and I doubted that the fee per device was more than single digit dollars.

And in what way were my words “flaccid” ? I wasn’t actually being critical of you so there was no intent for my words to have any particular strength or substance in that regard at all. My comments were observations and not intended to offend so I am very glad you took no offence, you would be exceptionally thin skinned to have done so.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #165 of 217
OK so you heard no difference in sound quality despite that it is lossy and has a relatively small fill size compared to hi res PCM, I would have thought that right there was a plus point to MQA.

Odd that you should say you heard no difference in sound but then in your last sentence said it is ineffective. Seems it is quite effective if it is indistinguishable from high quality PCM, what else does it need to do but sound good and it seems you thought it did. Any change in sound would have to result from it being manipulated, the aim was for it to sound “as intended” but have a smaller file size due to the compression, sounds like you proved to yourself that it does indeed do just that.

I know the device you are referring to, and just because it was marketed at $100 less does not mean that the MQA fee on each device was $100. How much does a Hip Dac 3 cost ? A quick search says $199 USD, you seriously think that fully half of the cost is the MQA fee and without it the thing would cost $99 ? I think not.

And how about chill out toad.

I didn’t “blame” you for anything I just said that when I occasionally stumble upon your posts there is often MQA hate. That is fine, if you read my post properly you would see that I actually said I can understand your criticism but that it just didn’t bother me and I doubted that the fee per device was more than single digit dollars.

And in what way were my words “flaccid” ? I wasn’t actually being critical of you so there was no intent for my words to have any particular strength or substance in that regard at all. My comments were observations and not intended to offend so I am very glad you took no offence, you would be exceptionally thin skinned to have done so.
MQA and its fell author made more frAudiophile claims about their Codec than I care to mention not the least of which are the all too common one about listening "as the artist intended". I am rarely if ever make boo-boos. I write in a somewhat descriptive manner, ergo I used the word "flaccid" to describe you view on my thoughts, i.e., ineffective at the least to me. I never "chill". I am too old to do so.

In essense, I find/found MQA to be junque and quite useless for its intended purporse. I found that it did nothing to the music while its originator(s) made rather grandiose claims for it. I do not wish to pay a fee for that which I find useless and in effective. Simple. I also pointed out in the following post (because I hit post reply prior to finishing!) that I bought the FiiO KA5 because I said I would buy something from them that was affordable for me and did not have MQA attached to it.:beerchug:

My son uses it at his workplace now. I tend to give things to those I know and love if at all possible and also if it fits their line of thining. The FiiO fits him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back