Introducing HIFIMAN Susvara Unveiled: Elevating Audio Excellence!
Jun 5, 2024 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 173
Long-Awaited SUSVARA UNVEILED Open-Back Planar Headphone
New Reference Model Features Newly Developed Nanometer Thickness Diaphragm and “Magnetic Veils” Back Panel

We are thrilled to unveil the long-awaited new version of Susvara: SUSVARA UNVEILED!

“We named the new model SUSVARA UNVEILED because every detail of well-recorded music is unveiled by the headphone’s design and components,” says Dr. Fang Bian, Dr. Fang Bian, Founder, and CEO, HIFIMAN Electronics. “As the follow-up to our successful SUSVARA reference headphone, SUSVARA UNVEILED is the manifestation of our ongoing commitment to continually improving upon even the most successful and highest performing products in our line.”

Most headphones incorporate a metal mesh as a grill to protect the drivers. HIFIMAN’s top tier models including HE1000 and the original SUSVARA are specially designed to maximize the exposure rate of the grills because the nanometer-thick diaphragm is so lightweight that reflections from the grill disturb the movement pattern of the diaphragm.

As Dr. Bian explains: “The most effective way to avoid sound wave reflections and refractions from the grill is to eliminate the entirety of the grill design, leading to complete openness of the diaphragm. The result is sound that is demonstrably more detailed and open, which is why we refer to this approach as ‘unveiled’ technology.”

The open section of the headphone inspired Dr. Bian to create a removable back panel, called Magnetic Veil, that is a result of HIFIMAN using CNC (Computer Numerical Control) technology, a process of relying on computer software to control the movement and operation of machines that cut, carve, and engrave materials. Magnetic Veils fit over the ear cups, helping to avoid damage caused by the absorption of magnetic objects when the headphone is not in use.

New to the SUSVARA UNVEILED is a metallic silver conductor layer, as silver boasts the highest conductivity of all metals. Sensitivity is maximized, subtle details are revealed, and a sense of “air” that is so important for high-end audio performance is greatly improved.

The SUSVARA UNVEILED incorporates HIFIMAN’s Stealth Magnet technology, featuring an asymmetrical, double-sided magnetic circuit that gradually adjusts the magnet’s gap and cross-sectional shape, both inside and outside of the diaphragm. This approach achieves maximum sound transmittance and diaphragm control force at a refined balance point, reducing distortion to a bare minimum for sound that is naturally warmer, with maximum imaging and transparency.

Specifications:
Frequency Response: 6Hz-75kHz
Sensitivity: 86dB
Impedance: 45Ω
Weight: 430 grams/16.16 ounces

Package Contents:
Pair of headphones
3m headphone cable (4-pin XLR plug)
3m headphone cable (6.35mm plug)
Pair of Magnetic Veils
Pair of ear pads (mounted on headphone)
Pair of Magnetic Veils
Owner’s Guide

MSRP: $8000

Prepare to be captivated. 🤩Let's unveil the true essence of music with the latest marvel from HIFIMAN - Susvara Unveiled!

Pre-orders will be available soon, with shipments expected to begin around the end of June.
Stay tuned for the ultimate unveiling of audio excellence!

Last edited:
HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 5, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 173
For that price, i would have expected an 4.4mm balanced cable to be included.

Jun 5, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 173
For that price, i would have expected an 4.4mm balanced cable to be included.
Because Susvara is so well know for being easy to drive from a DAP...?

Jun 5, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 173
Because Susvara is so well know for being easy to drive from a DAP...?
I drove the old Susvara, without any issues, from my DAP, i would wonder why it should not be able for the new one. Even small lighter sized dongles now have 4Vrms which is enough to drive them beyond 98db. I never understood that "These are hard to drive" myth. They are 86db 45Ω Headphones. They are not that hard to drive.

Beside that even 6W amps have an 4.4mm Balanced Connector so if you really want to push them beyond 110db, you can with 4.4mm

But i am not sure if Hifiman means 86db/mw or 86db/1Vrms (they don't tell, seems to be a well hidden secret). But my 2Vrms DAP drove them pretty loud, so i assume its per mw

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 173
But my 2Vrms DAP drove them pretty loud, so i assume its per mw
loudness is a form of distortion - that's why 0.5W battery radio can be painfully loud - So loud doesn't necessary mean driven to full potential or actually even driven well - it is just driven loud... so loud can mean many things - one would be your DAP is distorting - I am not saying it is a case but i have never seen portable gear driving Susvara very well - there is certain characteristic of susvara that on some weak but quality gear it sound very pleasant - laid back and mellow - but it is far from its full potential

Jun 5, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 173
IMG_9265.jpeg

Jun 5, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 173
I drove the old Susvara, without any issues, from my DAP, i would wonder why it should not be able for the new one. Even small lighter sized dongles now have 4Vrms which is enough to drive them beyond 98db. I never understood that "These are hard to drive" myth. They are 86db 45Ω Headphones. They are not that hard to drive.

Beside that even 6W amps have an 4.4mm Balanced Connector so if you really want to push them beyond 110db, you can with 4.4mm

But i am not sure if Hifiman means 86db/mw or 86db/1Vrms (they don't tell, seems to be a well hidden secret). But my 2Vrms DAP drove them pretty loud, so i assume its per mw
60456297.jpg

Jun 5, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 173
So how many susvara threads are there now?

Jun 5, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 173
I'm just sticking with these.

THANKS.
6) Koss SportaPro.jpg

Jun 5, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back