Introducing HIFIMAN Ananda Nano
Nov 26, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #331 of 821
I'm using the excellent Math Audio Headphone EQ in Foobar with IFI Zendac2 2 as dac (for now) into the Aune S17S amp (for now). Now that most of us listen to computer files, EQ is convenient and this, and a bit of crossfeed, always makes a big improvement.
https://mathaudio.com/headphone-eq.htm

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #332 of 821
Hear is the EQ I am using for the Ananda/ Aune S17/ IFI Zendac2/ Foobar usb. Keep in mind I have added a slow roll in high shelf above 7k to use as a tone control to bring back some attack and bite to the highs that the S17 tends to smooth over and can easily pull this one slider up or down as needed for different amps that are more crystalline at the top.
I don't seem to have an option to upload a photo to the thread but you can see it here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6853381218074265&set=a.1730440013701770

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #333 of 821
The price/quality ratio ( -> bargain) is very good. But I am "worried " about the trebble. I sold a He1000V2 because of the trebble. Sometimes I am thinking about buying another Hifiman. I am thinking about the nano

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #334 of 821
The price/quality ratio ( -> bargain) is very good. But I am "worried " about the trebble. I sold a He1000V2 because of the trebble. Sometimes I am thinking about buying another Hifiman. I am thinking about the nano
If you sold the he1000v2 because of the treble i wouldn't be looking at the nano.
I own the he1000v2 & the ananda stealth & arya stealth, the he1000v2 i find is the less treble brightness of all of them.
From what I have heard the nano is even brighter than the ananda stealth.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #335 of 821
The treble is definitely way over the top unless you’re used to cellphone sound and tv speaker type of sound. When I send my nanos to Sonarwork for custom EQ, it came back with a very very steep -8db high shelf at 3.5khz. There was also a fair bit to be added between 1khz to 2.5khz (+4db) and a +3db low shelf from 55 hz to 20 hz. The rest was minimal corrections

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #336 of 821
After experiencing the difference it can make (decades ago with the excellent Behringer DEQ2496), I would never want to do any serious listening to any particular system without EQ. Play music with a computer running wasapi with something like Foobar2000 and use the excellent Headphone EQ plug in from Math Audio.

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #337 of 821
The treble is definitely way over the top unless you’re used to cellphone sound and tv speaker type of sound. When I send my nanos to Sonarwork for custom EQ, it came back with a very very steep -8db high shelf at 3.5khz. There was also a fair bit to be added between 1khz to 2.5khz (+4db) and a +3db low shelf from 55 hz to 20 hz. The rest was minimal corrections
I added a slow, couple db roll in of high shelf of boost above 7k (most effect starting to show above 10k) for the Nano in my system with the tame top end of the Aune S17. And a wide slow -2db dip in the midbass between 200-600hz. I will post a screenshot of the EQ curve when I get home. I can pull it back down with one slider if I am playing through something brighter like the amp in the IFI Zendac V2.

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #338 of 821
If you sold the he1000v2 because of the treble i wouldn't be looking at the nano.
I own the he1000v2 & the ananda stealth & arya stealth, the he1000v2 i find is the less treble brightness of all of them.
From what I have heard the nano is even brighter than the ananda stealth.
Maybe I sold the He1000V2 too fast. I own 2 Grado's. I always thought that Grado has the most trebble until I heard the Hifiman. I mean, it wasn't a "bad" hp. Maybe the Ananda Stealth has lesser trebble? There's a refurbished deal for 399 & USD

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #339 of 821
I added a slow, couple db roll in of high shelf of boost above 7k (most effect starting to show above 10k) for the Nano in my system with the tame top end of the Aune S17. And a wide slow -2db dip in the midbass between 200-600hz. I will post a screenshot of the EQ curve when I get home. I can pull it back down with one slider if I am playing through something brighter like the amp in the IFI Zendac V2.
Sorry to read that.
All the best.

Nov 29, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #340 of 821
Maybe I sold the He1000V2 too fast. I own 2 Grado's. I always thought that Grado has the most trebble until I heard the Hifiman. I mean, it wasn't a "bad" hp. Maybe the Ananda Stealth has lesser trebble? There's a refurbished deal for 399 & USD
I like the ananda stealth, I have the cable one & the bluetooth one. Lol

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #341 of 821
Here is the EQ I am using for Ananda Nano/ Aune S17/ IFI Zendac2/ wasapi Foobar Math Audio EQ. There is a wicked resonance at 9.8k.

Attachments

• Hifiman Andana Nano Aune S17 Ifi Zendac V2 final eq.jpg
    Hifiman Andana Nano Aune S17 Ifi Zendac V2 final eq.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #342 of 821
Here is the EQ I am using for Ananda Nano/ Aune S17/ IFI Zendac2/ wasapi Foobar Math Audio EQ. There is a wicked resonance at 9.8k.
Thanks for sharing :pray:

These are settings I’m using and enjoy:
  • At 22 Hz, +3 dB with Q=1.41 (Bell)
  • At 55 Hz, +3 dB with a slope of 12 dB per octave (Low Shelf)
  • At 163, -1 dB with Q=1.41 (Bell)
  • At 1890, +4 dB with Q=2.6 (Bell)
  • At 7200, -2,5 dB with ”slow” slope of 6 dB per octave (High Shelf)
One song I use to hear and understand the effects of different eq:s is ”Bass & Drum Intro” by the Nils Lofgren Band. And with the eq at 22 Hz I felt I got those nice ”reverberations” in the lowest bass :wink:

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #343 of 821
I would add though that the big resonance at 9.8k in my setup is identified with a test tone sweep. I can see where a steady tone would aggravate any resonances much more than would ever occur with music, especially this high up in the "air" range where levels of music power have dropped and any fundamentals in this range will be transient snare and cymbals type sounds. So, very short lived that wouldn't allow the resonance to escalate. I tuned initially with the excellent user controlled tone sweep slider in Math Audio plug in and then ended up turning the various cut or boost way down during fine tuning with music.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #344 of 821
Thanks for sharing :pray:

These are settings I’m using and enjoy:
  • At 22 Hz, +3 dB with Q=1.41 (Bell)
  • At 55 Hz, +3 dB with a slope of 12 dB per octave (Low Shelf)
  • At 163, -1 dB with Q=1.41 (Bell)
  • At 1890, +4 dB with Q=2.6 (Bell)
  • At 7200, -2,5 dB with ”slow” slope of 6 dB per octave (High Shelf)
One song I use to hear and understand the effects of different eq:s is ”Bass & Drum Intro” by the Nils Lofgren Band. And with the eq at 22 Hz I felt I got those nice ”reverberations” in the lowest bass :wink:
That’s a lot closer to the actual measurement. You’re definitely getting a lot more from the cans with that sort of tuning. At least as an analytical tool.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #345 of 821
That’s a lot closer to the actual measurement. You’re definitely getting a lot more from the cans with that sort of tuning. At least as an analytical tool.
Yeah, it took me a while to figure this out :blush:

I get what you mean with ”as an analytical tool”. Right now I’m trying to create a good balance with the tubes in my amp.

Did you decide on an additional pair of headphones?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back