Introducing Hapa Audio's Top Of The Line KnØt IEM and Full Size Headphone Cable
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 36
Man, these were something else to behold when I first saw the cables in person. The customization aspect is only as good as the actual components on offer, and there's nothing cheap about any of this. Of course it's not inexpensive either, but it's obvious that the cables are painstakingly made over many hours, and also the person behind them is a perfectionist because it takes a high power microscope to spot the signs of a hand-made cable. These ooze quality no matter which side of the cable debate you are on, although the IEM cable is hilariously thick for portable use. I can't speak about pricing value just yet because I haven't finished testing them, but even from a scientific point of view I do acknowledge that just about everything done with cables affects the resistance, capacitance, and reactance of said cable. The eventual effect on the sound signature may or may not be captured by frequency responses, so I am going to take the time and be mostly objective with a side of subjective opinions in my eventual review on TechPowerUp. In the meantime, here are some photos of the review samples received on loan:

KnØt Full-size Cable

IMG_0350.jpg VHX_000020.jpg IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg VHX_000028.jpg IMG_0406.jpg
VHX_000030.jpg IMG_1520.jpg IMG_1522.jpg

KnØt IEM Cable

IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0365.jpg IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0430.jpg VHX_000014.jpg
VHX_000015.jpg IMG_0432.jpg IMG_1524.jpg

I am pretty sure I'll test the full-size cable with the HIFIMAN HE1000se in a 2-for-1 review, and waiting to see if the 64Audio U18t ever materializes again for the IEM cable test. Else it will be with the Lime Ears Pneuma pictured above!

It's been a while since I've posted... I've just been too busy...

But nonetheless, I still had to take a quick shot of the KnØt IEM cable!

Now, I still have them burning in, so sound impressions will come at a later date.

I just really have to applaud Hapa Audio... These are a work of ART!
They feel so premium on the hand and my lord, I can't take my eyes off of them haha
And yes, Hapa Audio was able to match the colours of the Tia Fourte... I don't know what magic they've done, but results say it all!

Even though my studio lights were about to be picked up for maintenance, I just had to do a quick shot of these beauties!

More photos along with the review soon!

MTZ_9499.jpg

coming with a big apology for the delays on my side, but here goes a first peek at my Knot!

F82815A0-B8D4-48BB-8D1E-1398B9698C88.jpeg

It’s actually designed to match my pink and sparkly A18t, but as there’s been some issues there, it’s currently on the craft ears Aurum

Incredible cable on build and aesthetics - sound impressions to within 2-3 days!

Thanks so much guys! Look forward to your reviews.

Please understand we know life comes first always, and there's no need to apologize - just keep us in the loop if anything ever comes up.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #17 of 36
I'm not a cable guy but these look beautiful. I was actually pretty interested and started talking myself into perhaps purchasing one when I saw $200 on a quick scan of the description. Then I saw it was for $200 off the order...

How about chaps just wrap some plain old, low tech, run of the mill 99.99999986% oxygen free copper in these exquisite overcoats and sell me one for a couple hundred bucks? Hell, use a hanger if need be, I just want the pretty.

I think a lot of money could be made (looking at you, Hapa) by selling lower-end cables--maybe simple silver-plated copper, copper ribbon or "plain old, low tech, run of the mill [very pure] oxygen free copper"--with some pretty metal furnishing for a more attainable price (maybe $100/cable). Hapa could still sell ultra-high-end cables for the $1million they normally ask, and make a fair bit off of high-volume, lower-price sales on lower-end cables.

I'd drop $100 on a silver-plated copper cable with Damascus furnishing.....but I'd never in my wildest dreams drop $2000 on a cable, and I really don't "cheap out" on audio (for instance, I just bought myself a nice SR007 MK2.0, it's in the mail right now). Personally, I'd also pass on the cloth sheath, and go for a bare-copper-under-transparent-insulation look.

It's entirely possible to produce heat-patterned Damascus furnishings cheaply. Make a big bar of the specific Damascus you want (I think you all are using titanium, by the look of it, but I'd be happy with plain steel), cut it (mill or bandsaw) into nice cubes of the right size, throw the cubes on the lathe, then heat-blue or chemical-blue it. No need to make an individual billet for each component, so it can be done fairly inexpensively. They sell damascened knives--actual pattern-welded steel, not just acid-etched--on Amazon for $25 (I've bought one, it's definitely pattern-welded), and you can get them on Alibaba for about ten bucks each (or less, if you buy in bulk), so it's possible to do in an economical way.

bb754dfb7f2aa2d154f9a57bf6164b6c.jpg

I say no more !

While I appreciate the comments, there are a lot of unseen things about the cables that lead to the final pricing that starts at $900 and goes up to $1300 with the discount. I'm not sure where the $2000+ price came from.

Please keep in mind the following:

These cables take 2 to 3 working days to make by hand. Everything is put together in-house.

@ledzep - Since you are implying we are cheating our clients by using this specific connector with the "gotcha" photo, I would encourage you to think about what you say first. There was a rigorous stress-based selection process and this specific connector and was chosen for its strength and material. We considered very expensive connectors, and cheap ones, too. On the other hand, our amp end connectors are extremely expensive and go up to 200 a pop.

@AthenaZephyrian @waveSounds - Hapa is a strong believer in supporting small business to businesses. We prefer to choose hand-made over mass-produced for our titanium fittings and leather cases, and that will not be changing any time soon. These items are imported on a custom order from Eastern Europe, Australia, and Asia, just to name a few.

For a budget cable, check out our Dreddz C S: https://hapaaudio.com/shop/analog-cables/iem-headphones/dreddz-c-headphone-iem-cable-copper/

That said, we are always looking at feedback and using it to help map out our future. Thanks all for the compliments as well!

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #18 of 36
@Sebastien Chiu
I wasn't implying anything of the sort with the photo to suggest your cheating any prospective customer, simply stating that your using an off the self connector, on a rather expensive cable that I'm sure does take time to make and adds to the overall cost. You state you use up to a 200 dollar amp end connector as well which is great to hear and I'm sure your cables are of a very high quality too, but those connectors don't do your cable justice. When your asking the amount you are I expect perfection in all aspects and not just in the looks department, a good reliable connection and sound quality in my opinion is paramount, anytime you want to send me a cable for review and to check out the quality of build, soldering and materials used I'm more than willing to accept the challenge.

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #19 of 36
@Sebastien Chiu
I wasn't implying anything of the sort with the photo to suggest your cheating any prospective customer, simply stating that your using an off the self connector, on a rather expensive cable that I'm sure does take time to make and adds to the overall cost. You state you use up to a 200 dollar amp end connector as well which is great to hear and I'm sure your cables are of a very high quality too, but those connectors don't do your cable justice. When your asking the amount you are I expect perfection in all aspects and not just in the looks department, a good reliable connection and sound quality in my opinion is paramount, anytime you want to send me a cable for review and to check out the quality of build, soldering and materials used I'm more than willing to accept the challenge.

Thanks for clarifying. Shoot me a PM with some review you've done, and let's chat!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #20 of 36
[Images that show that Hapa used cheap, widely available dual-pin connectors]
I say no more !
Can't say I'm shocked; the truth is that good quality electrical conductors--cables and connectors--with excellent signal integrity can be made and obtained for reasonable prices.

Edit: this doesn't detract from the quality of the cable, by the way. To the contrary, I'm saying that these are probably good quality components, but that the materials used (excepting the lovely heat-blued furnishings) are probably a comparatively small component of the costs of manufacture.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 36
@AthenaZephyrian @waveSounds - Hapa is a strong believer in supporting small business to businesses. We prefer to choose hand-made over mass-produced for our titanium fittings and leather cases, and that will not be changing any time soon. These items are imported on a custom order from Eastern Europe, Australia, and Asia, just to name a few.

For a budget cable, check out our Dreddz C S: https://hapaaudio.com/shop/analog-cables/iem-headphones/dreddz-c-headphone-iem-cable-copper/

That said, we are always looking at feedback and using it to help map out our future. Thanks all for the compliments as well!
One can still make the furnishings by hand for a low price--that was (one of) my points--but I had assumed these were made in-house; as they are not, it's a different story. I suppose the intricacy of the cable is something to consider, though. It does seem fair to ask a decent compensation for hours spent braiding, soldering and so forth (plus the overhead of time spent finding manufacturers of the custom furnishings). I retract that component of my argument. If one buys the cables expecting a quality cable, but with greater focus on getting a custom cable that looks nice with their gear (and price is no objective), you all do a good job. Pardon my excessive terseness on that point. I suppose I assumed that the main selling point was an improvement in sound quality, with customization being icing on the cake; I was wrong in this assumption. A bit of a kneejerk response based on prior conversations (see: $2000 plain, unadorned USB cables or power cables).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #23 of 36
To be fair to him, I think the actual memory segment with the plastic sheathing is a weak point for the IEM cable. The connectors themselves are fine, no complaints there.

Appreciate your insight as always, here too. We always learn something new when you're around!

One can still make the furnishings by hand for a low price--that was (one of) my points; I suppose the intricacy of the cable is something to consider, though. It does seem fair to ask a decent compensation for hours spent braiding, soldering and so forth. I retract that component of my argument. If one buys the cables expecting a quality cable, but focused on getting a custom cable that looks nice with their gear and price is no objective, I suppose you all do a good job. Pardon my excessive terseness on that point. I suppose I assumed that the main selling point was an improvement in sound quality, with customization being icing on the cake; I was wrong in this assumption.

No worries, no need to apologize! We appreciate any and all feedback, and your opinions are taken into account.

Hapa is a little different - yes, the improvement on sound quality is a major part of the discussion, but for us, we like to think of it as you're getting something tailor-made to you. Our goal is to always offer a similar experience as to if someone went to a tailor for a custom-made suite, this time around it's a custom-made cable.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 36
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #25 of 36
I went all-in on going all-in!
all in.png

Ah, didn't realize you meant with options. The chances of someone wanting a 6 FT IEM cable are so slim...but we have it there just in case!

Nov 15, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #29 of 36
Really nice looking cables!
Planning on buying one of the ZMF VC headphones in November events, the Eidolic mini 4 pin XLR supports ZMF VC headphones right?

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #30 of 36
Really nice looking cables!
Planning on buying one of the ZMF VC headphones in November events, the Eidolic mini 4 pin XLR supports ZMF VC headphones right?

We do indeed accommodate ZMF 4 pin mini XLR. We even account for the specific pin-out that ZMF uses in order to get the best sound quality. Let us know when you get those bad boys and we’ll put something together for you.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back