Introducing Hapa Audio's Top Of The Line KnØt IEM and Full Size Headphone Cable
Nov 22, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #32 of 36
coming with a big apology for the delays on my side, but here goes a first peek at my Knot!

F82815A0-B8D4-48BB-8D1E-1398B9698C88.jpeg

It’s actually designed to match my pink and sparkly A18t, but as there’s been some issues there, it’s currently on the craft ears Aurum

Incredible cable on build and aesthetics - sound impressions to within 2-3 days!
Here go my impressions!

The braiding of the Knot is definitely the most unique part of the experience, both visually and in terms of ergonomics. It's oddly light and while it is not very flexible, it doesn't have any issues with microphonics that paracorded cables normally come with. It does coil extremely nicely (as pictured) and the cable is generally free from any tangling as advertised. I quite like it overall, and the option to match the colors of your cable to your IEM is really appealing. While the cable model is standard, and you don't have too much wiggle room when it comes to material configurations, having full color freedom is something I really appreciate when matching IEMs to cable and DAPs (a salute to the color matching king @hshock76 here).

I used the Knot on multiple walks and at no point did I find it to be uncomfortable or too bulky - quite the contrary actually, it kind of disappeared for me because of how light and non-microphonic it is

The hardware on the Knot starts off as excellent, with an extremely unique plug and split - especially the plug. I have no idea where the guys at Hapa Audio were able to find it (or I guess it is a custom order), but honestly I haven't seen anything like it. The pins on the other hand... they are perfectly up to spec, so they won't stretch your sockets, but they just look and feel a bit tacky to me? I suppose the difference between the connectors and the rest of the hardware makes it feel worse than it actually is - removing the little blue and red indicators would help too Imo. Idk, I feel like better options could be found that are still up to spec and that would provide more visual continuity.

The cable material feels alright, quite thin and efficient, so you get an 8 wire without it being too bulky. The braiding close to the ear hooks feels a little off, but is quite good considering the whole thing is hand-braided.

On sound, the Knot to me feels like a mostly neutral/slightly bright cable, with some attentuation of the upper midrange and lower treble - paired with the Aurum the resolution goes somewhat overboard, introducing some harshness to the midrange. The Aurum is already quite bright as is, so I'd say the Knot is probably not the best cable to pair with it. It is very technical though, with a high level of dynamics and staging depth - definitely more pronounced than the width which feels somewhat average especially compared to something like the Eletech Aeneid/Plato. I liked the pairing with the A12t quite a lot, as I always found the 12t to be a bit darker than what I consider optimal, and the Knot was able to correct that.

Overall verdict on the cable is that I can't quite recommend it yet at the price that it's going for - it feels a little unpolished/DIY to me, especially where the 2pin barrels and the braiding are concerned, but those are really easy things to correct in order to make up the difference between it and other TOTL options on the market.

Considering how unique and customized of an experience Hapa Audio offers, I'm sure that with a little more refining the products will easily be able to find a spot in the market. The aesthetic and braiding are something I haven't come across before, and I have to give them big points for the innovation, but still found them to be a little short of what I'd expect at that price point.

Nov 26, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #33 of 36
Here go my impressions!

The braiding of the Knot is definitely the most unique part of the experience, both visually and in terms of ergonomics. It's oddly light and while it is not very flexible, it doesn't have any issues with microphonics that paracorded cables normally come with. It does coil extremely nicely (as pictured) and the cable is generally free from any tangling as advertised. I quite like it overall, and the option to match the colors of your cable to your IEM is really appealing. While the cable model is standard, and you don't have too much wiggle room when it comes to material configurations, having full color freedom is something I really appreciate when matching IEMs to cable and DAPs (a salute to the color matching king @hshock76 here).

I used the Knot on multiple walks and at no point did I find it to be uncomfortable or too bulky - quite the contrary actually, it kind of disappeared for me because of how light and non-microphonic it is

The hardware on the Knot starts off as excellent, with an extremely unique plug and split - especially the plug. I have no idea where the guys at Hapa Audio were able to find it (or I guess it is a custom order), but honestly I haven't seen anything like it. The pins on the other hand... they are perfectly up to spec, so they won't stretch your sockets, but they just look and feel a bit tacky to me? I suppose the difference between the connectors and the rest of the hardware makes it feel worse than it actually is - removing the little blue and red indicators would help too Imo. Idk, I feel like better options could be found that are still up to spec and that would provide more visual continuity.

The cable material feels alright, quite thin and efficient, so you get an 8 wire without it being too bulky. The braiding close to the ear hooks feels a little off, but is quite good considering the whole thing is hand-braided.

On sound, the Knot to me feels like a mostly neutral/slightly bright cable, with some attentuation of the upper midrange and lower treble - paired with the Aurum the resolution goes somewhat overboard, introducing some harshness to the midrange. The Aurum is already quite bright as is, so I'd say the Knot is probably not the best cable to pair with it. It is very technical though, with a high level of dynamics and staging depth - definitely more pronounced than the width which feels somewhat average especially compared to something like the Eletech Aeneid/Plato. I liked the pairing with the A12t quite a lot, as I always found the 12t to be a bit darker than what I consider optimal, and the Knot was able to correct that.

Overall verdict on the cable is that I can't quite recommend it yet at the price that it's going for - it feels a little unpolished/DIY to me, especially where the 2pin barrels and the braiding are concerned, but those are really easy things to correct in order to make up the difference between it and other TOTL options on the market.

Considering how unique and customized of an experience Hapa Audio offers, I'm sure that with a little more refining the products will easily be able to find a spot in the market. The aesthetic and braiding are something I haven't come across before, and I have to give them big points for the innovation, but still found them to be a little short of what I'd expect at that price point.

Thanks so much for the great write-up and impressions @mvvRAZ - @Jason Wong and I greatly appreciate your feedback and will keep your thoughts and recommendations in mind as we continue the R&D of the future of Hapa! I'll follow up with you privately next week.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #34 of 36
P.S. - got a few more hours to go until sale ends! Don’t miss out on this deal that won’t happen often!

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #36 of 36
*After battling a long battle with real-life struggles, I finally got around to finishing the written review!

You can also check it out over on the Head Gear page (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hapa-audio-knØt-iem-cable-c-s-cs.25533/review/27977/)

Thanks again to @Sebastien Chiu and the @Hapa Audio for giving me the opportunity to review this wonderful cable!

Hapa Audio KnØt Review

Intro

Hapa Audio is somewhat of a newcomer in the audio industry as a boutique cable maker.
Led by the genius of James Wong, the company is one of the most, if not the most, unique of cable makers out there. His cable design is truly something that can be compared to jewelry. From wire materials, hardware options, and braiding techniques, Hapa Audio is here to provide a truly unique experience. Today, we’re going to be looking at Hapa Audio’s flagship cable, the “Knot”. Keep reading to find out my experience with the unique company’s vision of what an audiophile cable should be.

Visit Hapa Audio’s website hapaaudio.com to learn more about the company and James’ audio adventure.

Packaging

The packaging is very simple. In the box, we get the Knot cable and a leather case with a matching lanyard with the cable attached to it. It’s these small touches that really set Hapa Audio apart from the rest. The only downside I experienced was how tight the case was when the Knot is attached with the IEM. Given the thickness of the cable itself, a slightly bigger case would be nice to have. Other than that, the included accessories are all you need.

Design and Build

I went with their Copper and Silver Hybrid wire configuration. As the IEM of choice, I chose the colours based on my beloved Tia Fourte from 64 Audio. I left it to the genius of James to make me a cable that matches the Fourte’s looks.

The finished cable is such a stunning product to look at. Despite only giving him a photo I shot of the Fourte as a reference, James managed to make it match the Fourte extremely well.

The hardware used is another story to look at. I believe the ones that came with mine are made out of titanium, and according to Hapa Audio, no one piece is the same. It’s a beauty, from the Y-split and chin slider to the 4.4 plugs. The only thing I want to be improved is the 2-pin connectors. They just don’t match the rest of the hardware in terms of aesthetics and build. I’m sure this is something Hapa Audio could improve on in the near future. A matching 4.4 plug and a 2-pin or MMCX plug would be amazing to see.

To learn more about the technology and specs of the cable, check out the link below.

https://hapaaudio.com/shop/analog-cables/iem-headphones/knot-iem-copper-silver/

Comfort

Although the Knot is quite hefty, it’s actually quite comfortable to use. I was surprised by the lack of microphonics. With other cables of such thickness, I’d usually have problems with noise when the cable brushes on my clothing when I move around ever so slightly. As a result, it’s great to see or hear that this isn’t an issue with the cable at all.

Sound

Now, I know there are several cable non-believers out there, and honestly, I was also one of them in the beginning until I delved quite a bit deeper into this cable rabbit hole. Do cables make a difference? Yes, yes they do. Are the changes night and day? No, of course not. If an IEM or headphones doesn’t sound good, no cable or source would fix that. Cables are there to just give a bit of “fine-tuning” to the IEM’s sound.

So what does the Knot provide to my 64 Audio Tia Fourte? For starters, the Knot is a very resolving cable. I mentioned earlier that the wire configuration I went with is the Copper and Silver Hybrid. I would’ve really liked to try out all of their options to hear the differences since the site distinguishes between the 3 configurations. The Copper is “warm and robust sounding” and the Silver is “neutral and incredibly detailed”. Meanwhile, the Hybrid is a combination of both conductors’ strengths and it is quite noticeable compared to my other pure silver and pure copper cables. It has a warm tonality while still retaining high amounts of detail retrieval.

Bass: The Tia Fourte is quite known for its unique sound, and it produces one of the best bass renderings from an IEM. One caveat for me is that I prefer a bit more “fun” in the bass, just like the Noir version of the Fourte. The Knot provides a bit more warmth in the midbass region, which gives bass notes a touch longer decay, thus providing me with a much more enjoyable listen. This might be the copper doing its job here.

Mids: The warmth from the midbass also extends a bit in the lower midrange, giving male vocals just a bit more fullness. Upper mids do retain their edge, and the Knot provides a bit more presence in the upper mids that give slightly more clarity to female vocals. I wanted just a touch more energy in the upper mids/lower treble on the Fourte and the Knot gives me exactly that.

Highs: On the treble side of things, I do hear a slight bump in this department as well. Some might find it harsh since the Fourte is already bright in the first place. But as someone that has recently become somewhat of a treble head, it’s a welcome enhancement. Now I’m a bit curious about what the pure silver cable sounds like.

Technicalities: From the technicalities standpoint, the Knot does very well in this category. It’s highly proficient in both staging and imaging. While the stage width is excellent and precise, I do find it a bit narrower than some of the other TOTL cables I’ve tried with the Fourte. It’s in the depth and height that the Knot truly shines in my ears.

Conclusion

Overall, even though the Hapa Audio Knot cable has its slight “imperfections”, its uniqueness and the “made for you” experience of ordering gets a recommendation from me. Keep in mind that’s just from the design and aesthetic perspective. The sound improvements or enhancement alone is also something that gets the Knot a seal of approval. I hope you guys will give the Hapa Audio Knot a chance to be a part of your cable collection or rotation.

I wanna thank the Hapa Audio team again for the opportunity to review such a well-crafted and well-balanced cable as the Knot. I look forward to trying more of your other current and future products!

-Matz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back