Intime SORA: Giant killer IEMs from Japan?
May 12, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #121 of 1,037
Just received the Sora Light 2019. Good sound overall. Pretty close to Crescent with better bass tonality but also more bite in the upper treble which makes them more tiring for me. My biggest issue I have is driver flex. These have no front vent and have some of the worst driver flex, worse than Sony XBA-50AP. They cut the sound on insertion and have to wait to pop back. The sound changes with every face movement, even when smiling. Very tip dependent, with wide bore the treble is almost unbearable, best I've found are Spinfit, Comply and E type. I am listening to them as I am typing this and already pissed me off twice when I moved my mouth and the sound changed. Does anyone else experience such driver flex? For me this is a deal breaker which is a shame as the sound is pretty decent for this price.

Did the original Sora have such issues?

May 12, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #122 of 1,037
Never occurred to me with my old Sora.
Possible to post some pics of the new one?

May 12, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #123 of 1,037
Did the original Sora have such issues?

I have no idea, this is the only Intime I bought.

After listening to them the entire day, I think I very much prefer the Crescent for this price range. Sora Light 2019 will keep you in check if you want to increase the volume. Every time I was feeling the music and wanted to take the volume up a notch, the SSSSSSSSSSS would drill pain into my ears. At moderate volume they are ok. The driver flex issue only got more annoying as the day progressed. I'd rather deal with Crescent's volume imbalance due to condensation.

May 12, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #124 of 1,037
Never occurred to me with my old Sora.
Possible to post some pics of the new one?

20190512_203818.jpg
20190512_203921.jpg
20190512_203941.jpg

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #125 of 1,037
I have no idea, this is the only Intime I bought.

After listening to them the entire day, I think I very much prefer the Crescent for this price range. Sora Light 2019 will keep you in check if you want to increase the volume. Every time I was feeling the music and wanted to take the volume up a notch, the SSSSSSSSSSS would drill pain into my ears. At moderate volume they are ok. The driver flex issue only got more annoying as the day progressed. I'd rather deal with Crescent's volume imbalance due to condensation.
Would keep my options open to the original Sora and the 2019 one then. The thought of having SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in my ears doesn't sound exciting at all

May 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #126 of 1,037
Getting mine in 2-3 days hopefully. I will update my findings then. However I'm pretty tolerant to bright highs but tizzy highs is a no no. Tin t2 is tizzy to my ears sometimes with silicone.

May 23, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #128 of 1,037
After much unnecessary delay on my country post I finally get the sora light 2019 edition
20190523_115149.jpg

OOTB I plug in the iem with applied M+ (I think) tips and the feeling is not good. This could be driver flex and immediately I notice right iem didn't produce sound, until I crank up the volume. Then I also realize that reposition the iem slightly will change the sound (moving jaw etc). So far in place with the previous reports here in the thread.

Move to next smaller tips. This time better in term of placement but still shallow insertion to avoid driver flex.

Then I settle on Newbee medium foam and write this while still listening to them on my desktop dac.

This is just an impression so it might change in the future.

After reading some last comment regarding sibilance I lined up my problematic list of track and start listening. To my surprise they do sound bright and metallic at times but not sibilance in conjunction of typical 8khz peak. Many track that I associate with sibilant in recording does not sound so with sora. Instead they sound bearable and felt intentional in recording. However on some track that usually not a problem with my other iem / earbud do sound rather unneccasy bright. Also on my track and setup its not the SSS.. thats problematic but TTT.. and CCC..

But of course this just the extreme of track. Most of the time with average track there's not immediate problem and can be rewarding with finely recorded track.

Mid is just right not too laid back not too forward. Stage is slight above average in this price point and center depth while not impressive not that bad either. I felt the vocal mostly outside my skull and never inside like some KZ

Bass is enough / light but will come in when called. I felt the mid bass slightly lacking and not that fast. Even my yincrow rw-9 earbud with even lighter bass have faster mid bass. Good news is that it's never muddy even with foam tips.

Will continue listening / burning / tips rolling and maybe i will put my full impression later.

Does it worth importing from Japan? Not much I say. Unless you're already visiting Japan or have someone visiting pick it up for you. It no more impressive nor less problematic that tin audio t2 at the (current) same price range IMO. But the perceived resolution IS better than T2 in case someone wondering.

Cheers.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #129 of 1,037
After much unnecessary delay on my country post I finally get the sora light 2019 edition

OOTB I plug in the iem with applied M+ (I think) tips and the feeling is not good. This could be driver flex and immediately I notice right iem didn't produce sound, until I crank up the volume. Then I also realize that reposition the iem slightly will change the sound (moving jaw etc). So far in place with the previous reports here in the thread.

Move to next smaller tips. This time better in term of placement but still shallow insertion to avoid driver flex.

Then I settle on Newbee medium foam and write this while still listening to them on my desktop dac.

This is just an impression so it might change in the future.

After reading some last comment regarding sibilance I lined up my problematic list of track and start listening. To my surprise they do sound bright and metallic at times but not sibilance in conjunction of typical 8khz peak. Many track that I associate with sibilant in recording does not sound so with sora. Instead they sound bearable and felt intentional in recording. However on some track that usually not a problem with my other iem / earbud do sound rather unneccasy bright. Also on my track and setup its not the SSS.. thats problematic but TTT.. and CCC..

But of course this just the extreme of track. Most of the time with average track there's not immediate problem and can be rewarding with finely recorded track.

Mid is just right not too laid back not too forward. Stage is slight above average in this price point and center depth while not impressive not that bad either. I felt the vocal mostly outside my skull and never inside like some KZ

Bass is enough / light but will come in when called. I felt the mid bass slightly lacking and not that fast. Even my yincrow rw-9 earbud with even lighter bass have faster mid bass. Good news is that it's never muddy even with foam tips.

Will continue listening / burning / tips rolling and maybe i will put my full impression later.

Does it worth importing from Japan? Not much I say. Unless you're already visiting Japan or have someone visiting pick it up for you. It no more impressive nor less problematic that tin audio t2 at the (current) same price range IMO. But the perceived resolution IS better that T2 in case someone wondering.

Cheers.
How would you compare to the older version of sora?

May 23, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #130 of 1,037
How would you compare to the older version of sora?
This is my first sora so I can't compare. Maybe @mochill can update his impression soon.

Edit
Narrow bore (random tips I found) does help taking the highs and improve bass. I like it so far

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #131 of 1,037
Right TIPS and proper seal make or break this iem. I'm still scouring my room for lost SpinFit but for now I swap my t2 new bee silicon and it made a huge difference. No more peak or nasty metallic sound. And bass no longer felt slow. In fact it now sound very very coherent and controlled. Beautiful beautiful sound. Play it at low volume or ear splitting loud. It doesn't matter now.

Sibilant prone track will always be sibilant though. And driver flex and pressure changes sound still a pain.

At least I realize the hype is real now.

I still won't recommend it to my friend though.

May 24, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #133 of 1,037
Failed to find my old SpinFit. I'm about to order new one. However its been years since my last SpinFit (I'm earbud kinda guy) it seems there's a lot of it.

What's SpinFit best for sora? I see old sora light use cp500. And iirc SpinFit size is smaller than typical? Ie M is smaller than normal M tips?

May 30, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #134 of 1,037
Found my spinfit and spiral dot. Both are capable of extracting a little more detail in the top, give focus to vocals but also raised bass . Spiral dot bass almost feel muddy but spinfit stays controlled with added rumble .

As an earbud user this amount of bass is not really my thing though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back